Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Video chatting has been given every opportunity to take off. People in my social group, at least, don't use it. It's been around for a long, long time, relative to the time other technologies have been available that have really taken off.

I agree. And the exact same things could be said of the Mac platform:

The Mac has been given every opportunity to take off. People in my social group, at least, don't use it. It's been around for a long, long time, relative to the time other technologies have been available that have really taken off.

When you put an unwanted function on an unpopular platform, the chances of success seem slim to me.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!

Am I the only one excited to see Google+ hangouts redone with out all that pesky functionality and a very "unique" design....

BTW, rebroadcasting most Netflix content is probably a federal crime in the US. They might want want to leave that out of their more obvious paid ads.

Last edited:

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Not sure so much naysaying is warranted.

thisisdallas gave a good case for the intended audience. For our video-driven culture, this makes it easy to watch stuff together when people can't physically be together. I find this an amusing & fitting contrast to my long-held observation about movie theaters: a place where lots of people, mostly strangers, get together so they can completely ignore each other while watching the same thing. At least with this you're compelled to look at the other participants instead of flat-out ignore them.

Teen entertainment aside, there's still two problems with video chat: it's made for two people sitting about 2 feet from a camera. In our office, video conferencing via FaceTime has been helpful, but remains limited by an inability to EASILY conference more than two devices together, and that most of our participants are 10-20 feet from the camera just so we can fit a mere 3-5 people into the field of view, rendering individual faces miniscule.

What I see Rabbit doing is:
- trivializing multi-participant conferencing
- auto-centering faces.

A videophone tool capable of tracking faces, cropping them out of the irrelevant background, and arranging them in a maximized form, along with easy increase in participant devices (rather than having to pay extra, etc.) could prove popular. Maybe not a runaway hit, but have a good solid niche.

Rabbit may not be the optimal implementation, but it's heading in the right direction.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Hi MR,

Thanks for posting this ad as an article.

Could you please post an ad for Battery Status?

Edit: Heck, it doesn't have to even be a front page ad for it. You could just post a review of it in the Mac Blog... which is honestly where this "article" you posted belongs.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Not a fan of the UI, but if the movie viewing works, then I will definitely use this. But not until it becomes multiplatform.

Skype seems to be getting worse all the time. It needs some competition.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
rebroadcasting most Netflix content is probably a federal crime in the US.

1. I wondered about that too, but figured they wouldn't be so brazen to have actually written this software if they didn't have a good legal way around it, like either, screen-sharing being a loophole, or merely setting something up with Netflix for synchronized start between paid accounts.

2. Actually, this whole thing is something Netflix should already be doing.

3. Quoting the entire full page original post in your three sentence reply should be a federal crime too. It chews up the readability of the thread for everyone else.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Redundant in my eyes.

You already have a lot of more mature services like Facetime, Skype etc. on OS X.

dog pile.

Skype drops so often nowadays. its screen sharing feature plummeted on mac since you can't share a specific window, but instead only the entire screen.

i used to screencast often, to watch films and share music.

viber is more reliable than skype on the iPad/Pod/Mac.

i am excited for this software, even if it is initially buggy, its clear the makers are passionate about these features that are lacking in skype.

clearly the objective of the app is about sharing - sharing music, tv, film, or any content on our computers. and its intention is clearly to do this better than skype's offering.

skype is a lazy effort, and since microsoft took over, its not been getting better.

facetime is irrelevant. for the same reasons as skype, its just BASIC. its another 'BASIC' essential by apple, much like iChat and iMessage. Messages doesn't even work well on the Mac at the moment, and Apple don't seem that interested in getting us users being able to talk to most or all users from all kinds of IM services, like Skype/MSN.

apple don't care about the same things that Rabbit seem to care about. i may be part of a minority, but that minority certainly will show that this effort and app called Rabbit isn't as redundant as you feel.

perhaps speak for yourself more often - its redundant to you because perhaps you have no interest in the sharing features.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Video chatting has been given every opportunity to take off. People in my social group, at least, don't use it. It's been around for a long, long time, relative to the time other technologies have been available that have really taken off.

I think that the main unsolved problem with video chat is that everyone thought it would be cool to have a virtual presence, but in reality it's uncomfortable. When you sit with people in real life, you don't stare at them. But with video chatting, what other choice do you have but to stare?

Still, I'll try this app out. Video chatting still has a little bit of that Jetsons allure to it after all these years.

Exactly! I think the concept of this app is brilliant, they should just have an option to eliminate cameras, sticking to only using mics and text chatting.

I'm sure thats how ugly people feel about it.

The rest of world seems OK with it, especially in the business arena.

This product is just another niched hangout.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
1. I wondered about that too, but figured they wouldn't be so brazen to have actually written this software if they didn't have a good legal way around it, like either, screen-sharing being a loophole, or merely setting something up with Netflix for synchronized start between paid accounts.

3. Quoting the entire full page original post in your three sentence reply should be a federal crime too. It chews up the readability of the thread for everyone else.

1. People write a lot of programs without doing basic research. We should know pretty quick since they have the Hulu logo in all the screenshots on their site.

2. I agree, but I doubt their content deals would ever allow them too.

3. Thanks, I hadn't noticed I did that.

Twenty5

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Please get skype off my macs..

Any decent competitor to Skype is welcome imo.

I just can't believe the monopoly Skype currently has. Not to mention that after Flash, Skype is the next application that crashes the most in all my macs.

/rant over :(

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
They won't even let paid subscribers watch on more than 2 devices, sometimes only one. I don't see how they are going to let you share your subscription. I'm not really sure why they "should already be doing" this. The content providers would drop them in a minute, then you'd be sharing nothing but the Netflix original programming. What, 2 shows?

I'd love to pay less and get more (and without ads, thank you), but that's just not going to happen in this world.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
They won't even let paid subscribers watch on more than 2 devices, sometimes only one. I don't see how they are going to let you share your subscription. I'm not really sure why they "should already be doing" this. The content providers would drop them in a minute, then you'd be sharing nothing but the Netflix original programming. What, 2 shows?

I'd love to pay less and get more (and without ads, thank you), but that's just not going to happen in this world.

It's not meant for people to watch on the same account... You have friends, with their own netflix accounts connected to this new app. The app just synchronizes when the video's start. Netflix should be doing this already, in fact you used to be able to on the Xbox but for some reason they got rid of that feature and made the UI worse at the same time.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Those didn't look like teens to me, maybe twenty something's. Or maybe the woman with the wine glass is just hanging out with some young friends.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
It's not meant for people to watch on the same account... You have friends, with their own netflix accounts connected to this new app. The app just synchronizes when the video's start. Netflix should be doing this already, in fact you used to be able to on the Xbox but for some reason they got rid of that feature and made the UI worse at the same time.
Ok, I haven't tried it. But the article does indicate that you can share whatever you have running. That's the part we are talking about.

Dokk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
IA, TX ... I never know
I kind of like the idea. I'm not a teenager (a professional in my 30s, actually). And a the moment, I live apart from my fiancé. One of the things we do every knight is sit down to watch TV together via Hulu or Netflix. The biggest pain in the but is making sure that we stay in sync with one another (especially with Hulu commercials) and so there's a lot of pausing, restarting, rewinding, etc. It seems like this app could be one way to deal more effectively with our situation; so I've signed up for the beta, asked her to as well, and we'll see how it works. If the image quality sucks or there are other big hiccups, then we'll go back to FaceTime and hitting the pause button.

All apps aren't good for everyone, but some apps are great for the folks who have a use for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.