Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:54 PM   #1
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

If you like animals you should read this.

I was surfing the web for some dog training web sites and happened onto a training site that linked the following:

http://www.petakillsanimals.com

As an animal person, I was shocked at what I saw. An organization that is suppose to protect animals is doing just the opposite. Due to the name of the link I did more searching, and it looks like the info is accurate. If someone finds a link that shows something different please post as the more I searched it seemed to back up the link.
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:14 PM   #2
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
Due to the name of the link I did more searching, and it looks like the info is accurate.
I'm not questioning your findings, but I am curious ...

If you found corroborative evidence, why didn't you link to it as well?

Could you please do so?

I'd love to see it.

Thank you.
citizenzen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:32 PM   #3
Renzatic
macrumors 604

I thought it was common knowledge that PETA puts most of the animals under its care to sleep.

It's depends on why they do it, but it's something that can't be helped at times. I wouldn't list it among the big list of reasons why someone should hate PETA. When you consider the firebombing of animal testing clinics, calling pet ownership slavery, and all the other bat crap crazy things they do, it's fairly low key.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:38 PM   #4
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I'm not questioning your findings, but I am curious ...

If you found corroborative evidence, why didn't you link to it as well?

Could you please do so?

I'd love to see it.

Thank you.
Sorry, you are right....I should have posted other links.

http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/saunde...ys-2626614.php

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...uthanasia.html
tshrimp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Sorry, you are right....I should have posted other links.
Thanks. I'll check them out.

And kudos to you for providing them.
citizenzen is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:48 PM   #6
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
I thought it was common knowledge that PETA puts most of the animals under its care to sleep.

It's depends on why they do it, but it's something that can't be helped at times. I wouldn't list it among the big list of reasons why someone should hate PETA. When you consider the firebombing of animal testing clinics, calling pet ownership slavery, and all the other bat crap crazy things they do, it's fairly low key.
+1. In my experience the diet of vegetarianism and veganism can make people go hysterical and mental... They're not all like that of course, but the ratio seems to be higher.
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:17 AM   #7
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
As an animal person, I was shocked at what I saw.
The thing that I find so interesting is that PETA chose to get in the sheltering business in the first place. IMO, they should simply be a lobbying group intent on raising awareness on animal issues. Sheltering and finding homes for feral, stray or abandoned animals is obviously not their strong suit.

We have 7 house cats (all of which were rescued from the street), 3 semi-feral or abandoned outdoor cats and my wife feeds feral cats daily on the town's waterfront. There is no end to the need to spay/neuter, vaccinate and caretake these animals. Finding good homes is incredibly difficult. The most practical thing to do is trap, fix and return them to their location.

Just two weeks ago she trapped a feral male cat that she's been feeding for nearly 10 years because his eye had clouded over. We took him to the vet where it was discovered that he had feline leukemia and a dislodged lens in his eye that was only going to deteriorate. We chose to have him euthanized and it broke my wife's heart.

PETA isn't the problem here. People who've abandoned animals and left them unfixed are the problem. But PETA obviously bit off more than they can chew by diving into the shelter business, and if you or anybody else wants to condemn them for failing the animals I can understand that. PETA has made a lot of enemies and set itself up for condemnation.

But I do have a clue about how thankless, expensive and futile the task they took on is, and because of that, I'm not going to join the chorus vilifying the organization. Hopefully this exposure will help them improve their practices or motivate them to get out of the shelter business altogether.

There is still however a place for a lobbying group intent on improving conditions for the animals in this world. Though I've never been a contributor or member of PETA, I do appreciate their efforts to raise awareness on these issues.
citizenzen is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:42 AM   #8
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
The thing that I find so interesting is that PETA chose to get in the sheltering business in the first place. IMO, they should simply be a lobbying group intent on raising awareness on animal issues. Sheltering and finding homes for feral, stray or abandoned animals is obviously not their strong suit.

We have 7 house cats (all of which were rescued from the street), 3 semi-feral or abandoned outdoor cats and my wife feeds feral cats daily on the town's waterfront. There is no end to the need to spay/neuter, vaccinate and caretake these animals. Finding good homes is incredibly difficult. The most practical thing to do is trap, fix and return them to their location.

Just two weeks ago she trapped a feral male cat that she's been feeding for nearly 10 years because his eye had clouded over. We took him to the vet where it was discovered that he had feline leukemia and a dislodged lens in his eye that was only going to deteriorate. We chose to have him euthanized and it broke my wife's heart.

PETA isn't the problem here. People who've abandoned animals and left them unfixed are the problem. But PETA obviously bit off more than they can chew by diving into the shelter business, and if you or anybody else wants to condemn them for failing the animals I can understand that. PETA has made a lot of enemies and set itself up for condemnation.

But I do have a clue about how thankless, expensive and futile the task they took on is, and because of that, I'm not going to join the chorus vilifying the organization. Hopefully this exposure will help them improve their practices or motivate them to get out of the shelter business altogether.

There is still however a place for a lobbying group intent on improving conditions for the animals in this world. Though I've never been a contributor or member of PETA, I do appreciate their efforts to raise awareness on these issues.
And yet the ASPCA does just what you describe. They do good work and are a not-for-profit. They do spay/neutering, they work with LEAs to help with stopping brutal animal cruelty, as well as working with Human Services to help hoarders. Most ASPCA shelters only euthanize if the animal is too injured or dangerous to save.

PETA are petty little children who do nothing to truly help animals. They rage against everything, but do nothing to actually help. I get it that they have lofty ideals to stop brutality like fur manufacturers, but all they do is throw paint on people, instead of helping lobby to change things. So, yeah, they deserve the grief they get, they get money that should be going to the ASPCA and other groups that actually help.
skottichan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:52 AM   #9
NT1440
macrumors G3

PETA has always seemed like a group to me that just wants attention for its "cause".

Pam Anderson?
Firebombings?
Constant pranks that seem to me like the South Parks take on the pathetic Whale Wars guys.

They just seem disingenuous at an institutional level...like the GOP.
NT1440 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:24 PM   #10
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
PETA has always seemed like a group to me that just wants attention for its "cause".
Sometimes they publish decent articles, complete with referenced sources. Centralized farming practices do account for a number of problems both in meat and produce. It sounds like they got into a field they weren't equipped to handle, although this has come up before. If I had a cat or dog, it would be one from a shelter. I don't have either due to severe allergies to them.

Severe as in sometimes coughing for a day or more if I pet one.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 05:36 PM   #11
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

All that good meat gone to waste.
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:08 PM   #12
chrono1081
macrumors 604

I remember years ago reading a story where Peta members killed over 400 minks because the minks would be used for the fur trade.

I never condone using fur for fashion but to kill these poor animals which will be replaced by 400 other poor animals is just wrong.

Rescue them, set them free if you wanted to do something, don't kill them.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 06:35 AM   #13
VulchR
macrumors 68000

IMO PETA are hypocritical and I don't like the fact that they cloak themselves with respectability but support extremist groups. I am alive because of animal research. I would have died a horrible, agonizing death without it, and I don't appreciate self-righteous PETA members trying to interfere with the research that might one day alleviate my suffering.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:32 AM   #14
mcrain
Banned

I love steak. I love lamb. I love pork/bacon/ham. I love animals, probably more than the people at PETA.
mcrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues