Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With rumors of the fifth-generation iPad taking on a design similar to that of the iPad mini, we've once again commissioned CiccareseDesign to create some fresh renderings offering a very good idea of what the updated iPad will look like.

These images are based on the leaked iPad 5 enclosure, which we have reason to believe is indeed real.

The new iPad shell was shown alongside an iPad mini enclosure, providing CiccareseDesign a frame of reference from which to take measurements and produce these mockups. We believe the relative sizes shown in the following images offer an accurate view of how the upcoming iPad 5 will compare in size.

iPad 5 next to iPad mini

As has been described in rumors and calculated from the rear shell photos, the fifth-generation iPad appears to be notably smaller than the current model, adopting significantly thinner side bezels in portrait orientation and slightly smaller top and bottom bezels.

In fact, our extrapolated dimensions appear to be almost identical to a December claim from Mac Otakara, which specified that the fifth-generation iPad would be 4 mm shorter and 17 mm narrower than the existing design. That report also claimed that the next iPad will be 2 mm thinner than the current model, making it nearly identical in thickness to the iPad mini.

iPad 5 on top of iPad 4

While some early rumors had suggested that Apple might be looking to update the iPad and iPad mini as soon as March, sources with rather reliable track records are now pointing to a later release in the September-October timeframe, and Apple's just-launched 128 GB iPad models support that notion.

Left to Right: iPad 4, iPad 5, iPad mini

The fifth-generation iPad is said to adopt nearly identical styling to the iPad mini, with photos showing a similarly anodized rear shell and reports claiming that it will include the same chamfered edges as on its smaller sibling. The comparison photo above shows the smaller size of the iPad 5 and how it has taken on the design cues of the iPad mini.

Left to Right: iPad 5, iPad mini, iPhone 5

The smaller body of the fifth-generation iPad suggests that Apple is making major changes to the device's internals as well. Apple has been rumored to be adopting new display technology that will allow for a thinner display and perhaps a smaller battery, and other components such as the main system-on-a-chip are also likely to see upgrades and rearrangements as part of the significant revamp of its full-size iPad.

Article Link: Size Comparison of iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPhone 5 and Upcoming iPad 5

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
And then touch the screen with your thumbs all the time. I also think it's not that good looking. But that's just me.

Apple is trying to address the thumb-on-screen thing with software. With iPad mini, they added edge touch detection logic.

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/design/

iPad mini intelligently recognizes whether your thumb is simply resting on the display or whether you’re intentionally interacting with it. It’s the kind of detail you’ll notice — by not noticing it.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
And then touch the screen with your thumbs all the time. I also think it's not that good looking. But that's just me.

The software prevents accidental input on the smaller bezeled iPad mini. Or is there another reason you don't want your thumbs touching the screen?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
This again feels like evolution, not revolution.

------------

EDIT: People have asked repeatedly how it could be improved.

Whilst I agree that it is essentially a flat screen computer with a bezel - therefore how can you improve it - I can think of a few off the top of my head, but I'd love to know what would be on everybody's wishlist:

Storage - they used to swap out the bottom storage option, bump it up at the same price. Why is 128gb extra? Surely 32/64/128 should have been brought in at the same price points.

Speakers - the speakers are decent, but even the Amazon Fire has vastly superior sound. It would be tough, but innovate. Simple things like watching the iPad in landscape (i.e. all the time) mean the speakers are facing one direction.

Battery life - there needs to be a genuine innovation with battery life, that's a criticism levelled at pretty much everyone, not just Apple. However it comes - solar, kinetic, a flippin fuel cell! - it needs to happen. This would be revolutionary.

Split screen/Multitasking - yes, this is venturing into iOS turf. But it is a bit ridiculous that we can't respond to a tweet/iMessage whilst watching a film. But yep, I recognise that is an iOS issue.

Storage (Part 2) - why no external storage options?

Bulletproofing - Make it dust & waterproof (a la Sony Experia Z). This is actually really huge, as so many people use it in the kitchen daily (I come home to mine having flour all over it). Imagine reading in the bath without fear!

Processor/RAM - I actually don't think this is much of an issue. It's pretty great.

Screen - Looks like it will be a revolution in terms of thinness, for sure. How about density/durability?

Price - The iPad is going to face increasing competition, not just technologically, but price wise. They won't drop the price, but if they did, the iPad would rule like the iPod does (i.e for the next decade). Apple has the market share right now, but needs to learn from the iPhone debacle it is currently facing.

The point is also that if I'm completely wrong and it really is ridiculously difficult to conceive ways to revolutionise the iPad, then how can they justify only incremental updates with such a continually high/increasing price?

Google and Amazon are now providing rival tablets for far less (and then imagine 2 years from now). If they can do what the iPad does and more - the Mini was a purely reactive move by Apple - then Apple needs to justify the high price.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I think it looks great, I really like my girlfriend's iPad Mini.

I am ready to upgrade my iPad 2, so I will be looking forward to this release.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I feel like a thinner and hopefully slightly lighter full-sized iPad would be very welcome, and I'd buy one. I like the smaller idea of the mini, but don't like it's compromises on performance and display. Still, the full-sized iPad is just too unweildy I've found.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
This again feels like evolution, not revolution.

I think that's kind of inevitable at this point. They have a huge userbase already of app developers, accessory makers, and users (who own accessories and apps). Making radical changes to the line-up would piss off as many people as it would excite.

For example, a large-scale change to the screen resolution would require you to update all your apps to take advantage of it. Which requires all of the app developers to get to work re-building all their apps.

And we already saw what people thought when Apple introduced new charging connectors.

tonyshaker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
Looks good

the iPad 5 should look good and hope iOS 7 also is good.

well thats what i think at least.

iAmUndefined

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
iPad 5

I hope the iPad 5 offers something different because if the mini gets Retina then there will nothing that differentiates the iPad 5 except heavier and faster.

hypotc

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
If that's what the iPad 5 will look like, I'm definitely getting one!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.