Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
I predict the next iPad Mini will be as powerful as the current iPad4, and that the iPad5 will be a powerhouse with the raw performance on par with the early Intel macs. The iPad4 already bests the Powermac G5 in geekbench.

iPad5 + airplay = your next game console.

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
I hope the iPad 5 offers something different because if the mini gets Retina then there will nothing that differentiates the iPad 5 except heavier and faster.

And larger screen ... This is the same sort of tradeoff / differentiation that is seen with most electronics (e.g. Laptops)

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I know it's been said but I just need to say this makes the iPad 4 look ancientttt.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
I predict the next iPad Mini will be as powerful as the current iPad4, and that the iPad5 will be a powerhouse with the raw performance on par with the early Intel macs. The iPad4 already bests the Powermac G5 in geekbench.

iPad5 + airplay = your next game console.

Oh yes, raw power - perfect for playing angry birds and temple run.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Where are all the people who claimed it was technically impossible for a thin device to have a Retina display? And there was 'no way' there would be a Retina Mini in 2013?

Of course this was coming. I feel bad for all the iPad 4 buyers who got duped when a much lighter thinner device was in the pipeline.

And I'm really looking forward to all those 'the display isn't that bad' apologists fawning over the Retina Mini when it's released later this year.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
The design alone will make the previous iPads look ancient on the first day. The same cannot be said for the last few generations. Form factor is massively important, and this is a brand new fresh look for the 9.7" iPad.

"Well, that's going a little far to say it instantly outdates the previous generations." No, it's really not. It's that big of a deal. The renderings even make it look like that. This is going to be the one to have.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I say it every year.. Where are your thumbs gonna go?

More smudges looks like.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Love the Mini, but would be willing to head back over to full size if it looks like this. I just wish they could slim down top and bottom iPhone bezels like Samsung does on Galaxy phones.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
They should have released this design alongside the debut of the mini. Now, it's a bit anticlimactic since the mini would have featured the same design for nearly a year by the time this is released. That said, the difference in bezel size make the previous iPad iterations look ridiculous.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm curious about weight. I bet they manage to get it under 1 lb.

Yeah, that's the major impact spec for me ... while the exterior dimensions on the Mini are great, it's the weight that really amazes me, and really effects how I use a tablet (having to prop it up for long usage periods, etc.)

Yeah, if I were heading up the design/engineering, under 1lb would be my +minimum+ weight target, but would trying to hit ~400g (about 40% reduction of the current weight ... kind of assuming the Mini will have a little weight loss too, under 300g

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It may look sleeker, but the thinner bezel on the mini is less practical when surfing. My thumbs are always accidentally hitting some ad in the margin, something that doesn't happen when I'm using the 3.

Also overall size isn't really an issue for my w/ the 9.7", weight it. The 2 was nearly perfect, and seems to me the real issue Apple needs to work on. I think the mini is so popular not just b/c it's less expensive, but because it's low weight.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Nice. Like that they finally shrunk the side bezels a bit. Looks a lot cleaner now. Now to debate whether or not to sell the iPad 3 for this one :confused:

randonono

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
Great render but I really REALLY wish ipad art would have more than 4 icons on the bottom - you can have up to 6 - with 4 it really just makes it look like a blown up iphone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.