Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I think that's kind of inevitable at this point. They have a huge userbase already of app developers, accessory makers, and users (who own accessories and apps). Making radical changes to the line-up would piss off as many people as it would excite.

For example, a large-scale change to the screen resolution would require you to update all your apps to take advantage of it. Which requires all of the app developers to get to work re-building all their apps.

And we already saw what people thought when Apple introduced new charging connectors.

I can understand that, but competitors are starting to catch up. Sink or swim.

It's difficult to revolutionize one of your best selling products. I think the redesign, new internals, new screen tech, camera upgrades, iOS 7, will all equate to a great update.

The redesign is fair enough. I'm sure it will look nice like the Mini.

New internals - nobody cares.
Screen tech is already in the Mini.
Camera upgrade on the iPad... Practically irrelevant.
iOS 7 - sorry, but you can't include that. Nothing to do with hardware.

There are plenty of things Apple could achieve with the iPad, but their cautious roadmap and profit first mentality are allowing other companies to steam ahead.

I agree, the iPad is safe for now, and is the iPod of the tablet world. But that doesn't mean they should stop trying to stay ahead of the competition.

What the hell do you want it to do - make a cup of coffee? Jee-wizz.

Wonderful wit.

You can't have a revolution every two years.

Ha! The irony. So Apple claim to "revolutionise" their products every one or two years, but you can't have a revolution every two years?

lsmith1981

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2009
Hmmm, how about more Internal memory, because these Applications are Getting Bigger with each Update. A Fresh New GUI would be Awesome. Evolve is what I say. Unless Apple Really Doesnt Care about people Jailbraking to truly Customize to the users wants and desires. Should I bring fourth the Typcial SD card Slot Request? lol.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Love the Mini, but would be willing to head back over to full size if it looks like this. I just wish they could slim down top and bottom iPhone bezels like Samsung does on Galaxy phones.

Surely to do that they'd have to make the iPhone's home button smaller. Otherwise the top part of the iPhone would be smaller than the bottom, which isn't symmetrical. Not sure if that's Apple's way.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
Ha! The irony. So Apple claim to "revolutionise" their products every one or two years, but you can't have a revolution every two years?

I don't recall this. What were you referring to specifically?

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
iPad 128

While outrageously overpriced I think I'm going to end up getting the 128 bit version for the better camera, retina and LTE. As much as I hate Apple, I do like that their products hold value, so I can trade in my iPad 2 and iPhone 4, making the new iPad more reasonable. At this point I can't see where an iPad 5 would be that much of an "improvement" over the 4.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
While outrageously overpriced I think I'm going to end up getting the 128 bit version for the better camera, retina and LTE. As much as I hate Apple, I do like that their products hold value, so I can trade in my iPad 2 and iPhone 4, making the new iPad more reasonable. At this point I can't see where an iPad 5 would be that much of an "improvement" over the 4.

fresher design ;) dont like paying the same looking thing three times (went from 2 to 3 so now im waiting for the resigned 5th)

mmikuta

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Time to Shrink the Wasted Space at Top and Bottom

One design issue that needs updating is the vertical space that is wasted beyond the top and bottom of the display. It also makes the product look a bit dated.

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
iPad Mini

I had the iPad Mini for a few days and didn't like the lack of side bezels. It was harder to hold than I thought it'd be. Wouldn't want that on the regular iPad

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit

Gee that's nice, it looks a little bit sleeker.

Apple needs to worry about making a leap with iOS. That's what's gonna differentiate their products. At this point, most tablets look the same: a shiny screen you hold in your hand.

:apple:

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
2 vs. 3 vs. v4

fresher design ;) dont like paying the same looking thing three times (went from 2 to 3 so now im waiting for the resigned 5th)

This is a smart move as there really isn't much of a difference between the 3 and 4. But the 2 and 4, there's just enough there to maybe justify this last purchase - assuming I keep it for a good 3 or 4 years. I really don't want a lighter iPad with less bezel.

Blackwell

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Northern California
Size Comparison

Couldn't find anyone concerned about the aspect ratio. Photo showing the pad, mini and phone shows a radical difference. Why doesn't the pad and mini have a 16x9 ratio? I'd love a mini that was narrow like the phone 5 - easier to hold. Better for movies eh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.