Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubleaa

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
I'll be selling my wife's iPad 3rd gen, passing my 4th gen over to her and upgrading when the 5th gen comes out for sure.

Bet we're going to have to wait longer than March though.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Wasn't the whole point of the bigger black borders so you could hold it without touching the screen accidently? I mean already with the current iPad that already happens.. can't image how bad it will be with the new style. Don't get me wrong, I like the smaller size, but just wonder how it will effect usability.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
the iPad 5 should look good and hope iOS 7 also is good.

well thats what i think at least.

It comes with iOS 7 that has 500 new features. 498 of those are new font styles for mail. :D

Seriously I hope iOS 7 is as attractive as the new iPad 5. I think everyone here wants to see something really fresh from Apple.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
Instead of decreasing the size of the bezel, I'd prefer to see a larger screen. Edge to edge retina screen.

empire01

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
UK
iphone 5

Am I the only one, or does these comparisons show how they got the screen size for the iphone 5 wrong? It should have been the same as the Samsung S2, then the same aspect as the ipad mini, ipad 5.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
So the small one is now called...

...'The New iPad Not Half As Mini As It Used To Be'? 'The New iPad Not Quite As Small As It Needs To Be To Make It Worth While Having'? 'The New iPad Spot-The-Difference'?

Ianbolton

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
Ios

My issue with all of this is IOS 6 is really beginning to look tired and boring. Fair enough, we have great technology that works, but there has been no significant update to any of the IOS since multitasking. The new hardware looks pretty good though.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I feel like everyone wanted a thin-bezeled iPad since the very beginning.

Doesn't mean they will get it. And then 'everyone' (which is really just the 1/10th of a percent that haunt sites like this) will scream how it is a fail, Apple designers are stupid etc just like they do about everything Apple does that isn't how they would do it

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I can understand that, but competitors are starting to catch up. Sink or swim.

OK, fair enough. What would you want to see in a new iPad to call it revolutionary?

A totally new display shape or resolution? (Taller? Wider?)
Even higher resolution?
Even better battery life?
Maybe a folding display (like Courier)?
Full OS X tablet to compete with Windows 8?

I can't really think of anything else Apple could do to an iPad that would be very exciting at this point.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Couldn't find anyone concerned about the aspect ratio. Photo showing the pad, mini and phone shows a radical difference. Why doesn't the pad and mini have a 16x9 ratio? I'd love a mini that was narrow like the phone 5 - easier to hold. Better for movies eh?

That's only if you use the tablet exclusively to watch movies/videos.
IMO 16x9 looks ugly on a tablet. Tablet should be used on a portrait and landscape mode as well. That 16x9 tablet is not ideal for a portrait use.

Ianbolton

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2005
iOS

^ for me, a new way of showing the icons and having a little more interactivity on the homepage would be good. Just having a slider for brightness like the jailbreak would be useful. It all just looks a bit dated. Im not saying Windows 8 with it's swish coloured blocks is any better, but at the moment it's something new.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
i don't wan't narrower devices. i must be part of a minority who is left wanting a larger screen when it comes to web browsing.

as for the iPhone 5 redesign, i knew straight away that the iPhone 5 design was the new design for iOS Devices.. so why anyone is surprised or wasn't expecting this is beyond me.

i just didn't expect apple to narrow down its actual size that much.

i do hope that what they have acheived with its size, means we can hold it with one hand for some of us.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This again feels like evolution, not revolution.

And? Many folks see nothing wrong with evolution. Especially when there is no new and stable tech for a revolution. Many would say that baby steps is much better than making a great leap in the name of being revolutionary and falling flat on your face. Case in point might be the 'revolutionary' Microsoft Surface which has been deemed by most reviewers that aren't paid MS patsies to be a nice try but ultimately a dismal waste.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Wasn't the whole point of the bigger black borders so you could hold it without touching the screen accidently?.

Yes, but once they find (and i guess they have) away to resolve the accidental touch problem then there is not reason for thick side borders.

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
Of course the mockup of the iPad 5 is going to look way newer than the iPad 4... They're using the default wallpapers of iOS 6 vs iOS 5.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Where are all the people who claimed it was technically impossible for a thin device to have a Retina display? And there was 'no way' there would be a Retina Mini in 2013?

Its not technologically impossible to have a retina iPad mini. It's impossible to have one and not have significantly lower battery life based on current tech. Because the battery is much smaller. Now if Apple can come up with some new battery chemistry or handling on the software or even something wild like solar cells in the black bezel to charge/run it from light sources. Then the battery issue isn't so much.

But until then, they are unlikely to spec whore at the cost of battery life since the average person isn't really capable of seeing a major difference in the existing screens but having to charge their iPad 3 times a day is noticed.

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
I know they are 'addressing' the thumb on screen issue with such a small bezel... but how does this affect gaming?

Do iPad Mini users notice any issues when trying to game and having your thumbs near the edge? I just feel that using software to detect what you are trying to do with your thumbs is just going to make things crappy.

Maybe I'm wrong.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Very exciting! The iPad 5 looks awesome! Definitely a clear evolution from the original iPad all those years ago. Get rid of those huge screen borders and the bulky weight, make it beautifully thin. That was the iPad mini and iPad can sit next to each other as clear siblings rather than feeling like products from two totally different leagues!

----------

no, it's a revolution. all the images of the iPad 5 are showing the back.

I disagree. I still think this is an evolution. Clearly Apple have looked into what made the iPad great and what can be removed. Trimming off the fat. Definitely an evolution.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Love the Mini, but would be willing to head back over to full size if it looks like this. I just wish they could slim down top and bottom iPhone bezels like Samsung does on Galaxy phones.

They could. All you need the too bezel for is the camera and light sensor. Those aren't that big. The bottom needs space for the home button but they could always make it smaller or even move the button to the side either as its own button or as functions in the existing ones. Well the ones that can't be replaced by a gesture. Already they have replaced returning to home and the task bar with swipes. How about a five finger double tap to get out of screen 'edit' mode. Siri could be by depressing both volume buttons at the same time. Screenshots could that and the sleep button as it basically is now (with holding them down doing the restart etc). Sure they might have to redo the volume buttons on some models to make it work but it could be feasible, should they not want to add another button or switch to a lozenge style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.