Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

woz_apple_1_board-250x275.jpg
Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak said in an interview yesterday that Apple has fallen somewhat behind in the smartphone field, allowing competitors like Samsung to catch up.

The comment was made as Wozniak spoke about the importance of brand (translated from the original German report by wiwo.de) at the Business Week Best Brand Awards.
I am proud that we have such loyal fans. But this loyalty is not given, the need to have the best products is always there. Currently we are in my opinion somewhat behind with features in the smartphone business. Others have caught up. Samsung is a big competitor. But precisely because they are currently making great products.
The comments were, however, made in the context of his great pride in Apple and its products. Wozniak also explained why he stands in line at Apple stores to buy new products on launch days despite remaining an employee of the company to this day.
The launch of a new Apple product is for me like a big, major concert which you absolutely must attend personally. It's history. Sure, I could order online or call the store manager so that they smuggled me in the back door. But that would be nothing. No, I will have the experience like any normal customer. But one thing is certain. If Apple made lousy products, I would not be in line.
Wozniak has never been shy in speaking about Apple, and while he has only very limited contact with the company today, he still draws significant attention at his appearances at events at Apple product launches. While he remains a fan of Apple and the iPhone, he has long been open to alternatives and has noted several times that he carries a number of iPhones and Android devices with him.

(Thanks, Chris! Photo from woz.org.)

Article Link: Steve Wozniak Believes Apple Has Fallen 'Somewhat Behind' in Smartphones

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I agree as well...A friend of mine was showing off her new phone...Lumia I think, compared to my IP5 it just looks more modern and up to date...It's not going to make me jump ship, but if Woz thinks Apple are behind, then maybe things will get done....Not much point in making the comment if they don't.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I think they have done in terms of software. Just so many small, nice features that Android phones (and Samsung phones) have. I remember when it was the other way around...

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Whats the deal with everyone taking everything Woz says as gospel? He was instrumental in creating the original Apple computers but what has he done recently? Not much other than speaking engagements. Since the original Apples, he has done very little other.

zoonyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Northern England
Whats the deal with everyone taking everything Woz says as gospel? He was instrumental in creating the original Apple computers but what has he done recently? Not much other than speaking engagements. Since the original Apples, he has done very little other.

It's not that I take it as gospel - it's just that in this case, he is sadly correct.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I agree.

Nothing is forever, now we'll see if Apple responds accordingly.

I for one, hope they do.

Yet I do wonder just what they're thinking these days.

Dictating without the dictator... is a difficult feat to pull off.

Agree totally.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Unless iOS7 is something super revolutionary, I think Apple will sell the same sort of number of phones, or at least the number they sell each new generation, won't increase like it has the last few times, if that makes sense?
I love iOS, but something new has to happen, just to distinguish itself

spiderman0616

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2010
In some ways, he's right. There are things on other phones that aren't on the iPhone. Apple makes great products that are, in some peoples' minds, missing features that other similar products have.

HOWEVER

1) I know Woz made the Apple II back in the day and that's his pride and joy, but what significant insight does he really have into the industry these days? What has he really done for me or Apple in the last 20 years? 30 years? I think he's looking at this situation like an extremely geeky user, not an every day joe. A lot of the reason geeks like Android over the iPhone is that you can mess with it. He might be looking at it from that perspective.

2) Apple will release features when they feel it's the right time--not any sooner or later than that. Just because the tinkerers feel that something is "missing" doesn't mean that it's something most people would use.

So in general, I would like to know what Woz would like added into iOS. He always makes these sweeping comments about Apple but never gives any solutions. He's no better than your typical forum poster/troller.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011

Do you have personal connections with him that you know what he is and isnt working on? Woz has never been the one to get into the spotlight and talk about upcoming projects. He may certainly be designing or helping design products (circuitry etc. ). Who knows but dont make some blanket statement that he does nothing except speaking engagements. There are many of us who dont think his word is gospel but rather he's expressing a thought many of us harbour.

Last edited:

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
gotta like Woz,

loves Apple for the products but if they are not the best he calls them on it.
Stay on you're toes apple, make the best product and i will buy it, don't expect me to buy it because it says apple on it.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Certainly the competition has caught up to Apple and offered some viable alternatives. Whether or not they are better depends on your priorities.

However, when Woz speaks my first reaction is to chuckle. The guy is all over the place. This is the same guy who said he would buy Facebook stock at IPO regardless of the opening price.

It is interesting to listen to Woz, but if Apple had been under his leadership all these years it would be out of business by now. He has never quite "gotten" what the consumer wants and is willing to buy. He obsesses more about geeky technical details than anything else.

Shattentor

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Oh yeah, they indeed have fallen behind. Software even more than the hardware, iOS is just lacking innovation for years now. Android on the other hand has made some real astonishing progress, especially with Jelly Bean. iOS simply has become so boring.

I'm right now on the edge of replacing my 3GS and I never hesitated for one second that my next phone is gonna be powered by Android.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
This column in yesterday's WSJ compared Apple to the way Ford allowed its competitors to catch up with the Model T, forever eroding its marketshare dominance.

Woz isn't the first to notice Apple all but giving Android a free pass, but he might be the most influential, at least in the geek world. Apple needs to do three thing to maintain leadership:

1) totally revamp iOS, not just incrementally update it. The interface has become over simplistic and clunky at the same time. I'd like to see a way to better organize and also true multi-tasking. iOS multi-tasking is dumb, I don't care that Jobs said it was the right way. It's not.

2) Get cloud services right and also bundle a usable amount of storage, not a joke of a 5GB, with every iOS device, or at least offer 5GB per iOS device, not account. And grant customers use of the storage for two years or replacement of the device (by purchase, not warranty). If a customer doesn't want to upgrade after two years they can then pay $x for a years worth of storage.

3) Apple has long suggested iOS devices are the future, not Mac OS X. OK then, start selling them like computers with bi-annual updates rather than annual ones. Everyone else does this, it's partly what makes iOS devices look stale 9 month in and then sales dive b/c people are holding off till the next release.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
He's still an employee of the company to this day?

err... what is his job title? :confused:

"The Wonderful Wizard of Woz"

Seriously, I'm also confused by this. He is an employee, yet he has "only very limited contact with the company today". Huh?

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Without being specific about what precisely is "better" or "worse" between two competitors...it comes off simply as "my Dad is better than your Dad" type drivel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.