Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Digital pack rats. I don't get saving PMs. Must be the same people who save all their texts and archive tens of thousands of emails.

I keep mine full so mods can't PM me. :D

Good idea! I saved a handful of PMs off the site since PMs can be read by mods, but overall I tend to do a mass delete. I keep some regarding sales as well.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Actually no we can't read PM's. The only time we see a PM is if a user reports one to us.

Incorrect. A mod has informed me they can. A mod who is still a mod. So sorry, I can't buy that. Now back on topic ... or something like that.

Aug 5, 2012
Incorrect. A mod has informed me they can. A mod who is still a mod. So sorry, I can't buy that. Now back on topic ... or something like that.

This is very interesting... Seems like someone here is lying!

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest

They really can't. If somebody reports a PM it sends the text of the PM to the mod team just like reporting a normal post. Otherwise they have no access to your PMs. arn probably could since he likely has access to the database but I doubt he's that bored. Not that you have any reason to believe me. No real way to prove it. You might clarify with whatever mod you say told you that since it's likely they misspoke.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yeah okay. We'll agree to disagree. I'm sure I still have the e-mail that tells me. Unless that mod is lying for no reason, we'll have to just agree to disagree because I'm smart enough to know what happens when I challenge a mod. ;)
Take care buddies.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Yeah okay. We'll agree to disagree. I'm sure I still have the e-mail that tells me. Unless that mod is lying for no reason, we'll have to just agree to disagree because I'm smart enough to know what happens when I challenge a mod. ;)
Take care buddies.

Ya, mods can't read PMs.

arn

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Digital pack rats. I don't get saving PMs. Must be the same people who save all their texts and archive tens of thousands of emails.

I keep mine full so mods can't PM me. :D

haha yup

Attachments

• Buenos_Aires_Poster_landscape.jpg
    Buenos_Aires_Poster_landscape.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 160

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
If so, they're lying and messing with your mind. Not entirely ethical in itself.

I think it's safe to say that no one is lying. Someone misunderstood something, either jessica. or the mod she communicated with about this (it doesn't particularly matter who), and now arn has cleared it up.

I can't for the life of me see why anyone would have any motivation to lie about this.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I think it's safe to say that no one is lying.

Need I point out the obvious qualifier that says ‘if so’?

Or would that merely compound the level of prissy pedantry around here?

I can't for the life of me see why anyone would have any motivation to lie about this.

I think you'd be surprised at what has been said at times. But, be that as it may, I was responding to jess, a pal of mine. Thanks for your contribution.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think it's safe to say that no one is lying. Someone misunderstood something, either jessica. or the mod she communicated with about this (it doesn't particularly matter who), and now arn has cleared it up.

I found the e-mail and it states specifically, "we can read PMs as well." There is no misunderstanding on my part. The mod, who has proven to be less than stellar in terms of ethics as is, is clearly a liar. It would be easy to just write me off as incapable of reading simple English but that is simply not the case here.

It is hard to see why you can't see why someone would lie about something like this, really.

----------

Need I point out the obvious qualifier that says ‘if so’?

Or would that merely compound the level of prissy pedantry around here?

I think you'd be surprised at what has been said at times. But, be that as it may, I was responding to jess, a pal of mine. Thanks for your contribution.

Thank you. I think it is clear that it is a lie. It won't change my more protective behavior in PMs at all, but apparently the modsquad has gathered and spoken. If it were true I don't believe it would be entirely public all the same so I am not surprised about the sudden defenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.