Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chanerz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
http://www.mophie.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2250_JPH-IP5-MBLK

I pre ordered the dark metallic one.

Here it goes

AFBDF344-8CCB-43F3-8643-6C6A7D629B03-2070-0000013E2E0A9FFB_zpsc1d92825.jpg

14989754-38E3-4FF1-833D-A2ECF2D159C1-2070-0000013E328B4A17_zps9ff41a6f.jpg

599A62C4-5023-4759-B99B-1FE9C5EB9251-2070-0000013E37CCAA8C_zps5a7234b4.jpg

Now the problem is you can't access the headphone jack underneath. Mophie provided a long jack to plug it. It is more like an extension cord.

Last edited:

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I also ordered one. The current one I have on my 4S is so nice I knew the iP5 model would be a must have. This one is even sleeker and a more beautiful design.

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010
I want a juice pack but I get the feeling they'll release a "pro" version or updated version of this pretty soon so gonna try and hold out for that.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I want a juice pack but I get the feeling they'll release a "pro" version or updated version of this pretty soon so gonna try and hold out for that.

If history is to be taken into account, there was roughly a 9 month gap between the Juice Pack Air and the Juice Pack Plus for the iPhone 4. Hopefullyi twon't be as long but considering the amount of trouble they had with the 5 variant (they even had to make a Galaxy version assumingly to supplement income) it will probably be that long again. The Silver version of the Helium isn't even scheduled to ship out until March.

As for the Helium, the only issue I have is the non covered buttons. I hate cutouts and prefer a cover over them for easier button pressing but the case itself looks amazing. Wish it had a little more than 1500 in terms of power but whatever.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
If history is to be taken into account, there was roughly a 9 month gap between the Juice Pack Air and the Juice Pack Plus for the iPhone 4. Hopefullyi twon't be as long but considering the amount of trouble they had with the 5 variant (they even had to make a Galaxy version assumingly to supplement income) it will probably be that long again. The Silver version of the Helium isn't even scheduled to ship out until March.

As for the Helium, the only issue I have is the non covered buttons. I hate cutouts and prefer a cover over them for easier button pressing but the case itself looks amazing. Wish it had a little more than 1500 in terms of power but whatever.

I found a battery case called "iBlason". I might consider it over the mophie. It has covered buttons and a standard 2200 battery...

http://www.i-blason.com/device/iphone-cases/iphone-5-cases.html

Last edited:

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
I found a battery case called "iBlason". I might consider it over the mophie. It has covered buttons and a standard 2200 battery...

http://www.i-blason.com/device/iphone-cases/iphone-5-cases.html

I saw that on Amazon a few weeks back. Don't trust the brand since I've never used it nor have I heard of anyone else that has outside of a couple random reviews on Amazon.

With standard cases, brand doesn't really bother me but when it comes to battery and power, brand is important since I don't want to kill my phone.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
I saw that on Amazon a few weeks back. Don't trust the brand since I've never used it nor have I heard of anyone else that has outside of a couple random reviews on Amazon.

With standard cases, brand doesn't really bother me but when it comes to battery and power, brand is important since I don't want to kill my phone.

I'm the same way when it comes to this type of product. Although the iBlason "Powerpack" series which came out in Feb 2013 appears to be a direct rip off of mophie's previous cases they have for the 4 and 4s. I'm kind of stuck between them and the helium for some reason. Haha.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
Not bad for a case, however this device is much much better in my opinion

http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA255ZM/A/mophie-juice-pack-powerstation-duo-external-battery-for-ios-devices

riseboi

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Miami Beach

These specs were posted a few weeks ago on Mophie's FB page before they were quickly removed. Other than the Red Helium (which may be released later), this guy was pretty spot on. I don't think it's a matter of "if" they will be released, but "when."

Attachments

• Screen Shot .png
    Screen Shot .png
    153.9 KB · Views: 221

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'd probably wait for higher capacity ones if I wanted to go a couple of days without charging, but the Helium will give me beyond a full day of heavy usage, fine as I charge every night. As such, after initially not being too impressed with the Helium's capacity, it occurred to me 1500mah will suffice while also being pretty slimline.

So I have to carry a cable and power pack with me?

Yup, completely different product area. I keep a Vita charger in my work bag, it serves, but I'd much rather a slim battery case.

MastahRiz

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2010

It sounds worse than it actually is. I was reluctant on getting a spare charger pack + carrying a cable with me but it's not actually that bad, and the main reason I got it was so that when the next iPhone comes out, I still have a way of charging it while mophie takes months to come out with a new charger case. Most likely the next iPhone will keep the same shape but if not, I won't be out of luck. I also have a way to charge my iPad from the same pack.

Plus right now, I still have a backup battery without having to just impulse buy this helium case when I'm not really impressed by it. I would like to see a higher capacity battery and also a plain black case which covers the volume buttons completely. Basically something more similar to the juice pack plus before I shell out my cash.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Anybody know?

I read an article that said you can pick up the Helium at your local Apple store? Is this true? If not then when can we expect to be able to buy this product "in store"?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx

Probably, why not? There is usually not an issue with that. I carry mine with me everywhere in a little shoulder bag That has iPhone accessories, lasers, plus my headphones and this battery pack. That 6000 mAh battery pack will charge your iPhone at least three times before you have to charge the battery pack again, it is well worth it. Especially if you know you're going to be away from a power source for any period of time like during a day hike or camping or other activity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92

Tedya

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
OK, so how do you maximize battery life with a case like this? Is it better to have the case powered on the whole time or is it better to turn it on when the phone runs out of battery? Which way will get you more time?

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
OK, so how do you maximize battery life with a case like this? Is it better to have the case powered on the whole time or is it better to turn it on when the phone runs out of battery? Which way will get you more time?

You have to turn it on after your iPhone battery goes down or nearly dead maybe about 20%. That case will most likely not charge your iPhone all the way to 100% from 0%. most likely it will get to 80% and that's about it. This is why I carry a 6000 mAh battery pack instead. As shown above in the photo. It is the same size as the iPhone 4S but twice as thick.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Probably, why not? There is usually not an issue with that. I carry mine with me everywhere in a little shoulder bag That has iPhone accessories, lasers, plus my headphones and this battery pack. That 6000 mAh battery pack will charge your iPhone at least three times before you have to charge the battery pack again, it is well worth it. Especially if you know you're going to be away from a power source for any period of time like during a day hike or camping or other activity.

But how would it benefit me if I have to use my phone while its being charged. My phone usually dies towards the end of the day but I still have to make calls. I'd rather have a case on it instead of having to unplug it to make a call.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA

The iPhone does NOT fully sleep when it has external power. Therefore, it is best to do this:

- Run your iPhone down as much as possible (but not to shutdown if you can help it, that will make your phone unusable for a few minutes)
- Switch on the pack and charge the phone to around 80%
- Switch off the pack.
- Repeat.

The iPhone will charge fastest from 0 - 80%, then it goes into a reduced rate "top-off" charge. You don't want the pack on longer than necessary, as the iPhone does not sleep when it's on, and is thus consuming more power.

----------

There was some uncertainty as to whether you can sync the phone over USB when the Juicepack is on it. Can someone who has received theirs settle this question? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.