Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:16 AM   #1
Trubbles
macrumors member

No "hold" button on iPod Nano 7th Gen?

I just bought my wife a new 7th gen Nano to replace her old, dog-chewed 4th gen.

She is complaining to me that there is no hold button. The button that it calls a "hold" button is the same as the iPhone's lock button - it turns the unit's screen off. However, all of the buttons are still easy to hit, and pressing the wrong button can start music in her purse and kill her battery, or pause music during her workout, etc.

Is there something I'm missing? Or did Apple decide to ditch the age-old tradition of a hold button on a music player? I say age-old, because in the early 90s my Sony Discman had one... It just seems like common sense!
Trubbles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:21 AM   #2
Zarkizon
macrumors member

There should be a sleep/wake button on the top.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Trubbles
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarkizon View Post
There should be a sleep/wake button on the top.
It doesn't lock out the other buttons... Did you even read what I wrote?
Trubbles is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:36 PM   #4
mdehoogh
macrumors member

On my shuffle (4th gen) you can hold down the play/pause button for a few seconds to lock the device. Can't control it or do anything until you repeat the process to unlock. Perhaps that method will work with the 7th gen nano.

I don't know why apple did away with it...
mdehoogh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Trubbles
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdehoogh View Post
On my shuffle (4th gen) you can hold down the play/pause button for a few seconds to lock the device. Can't control it or do anything until you repeat the process to unlock. Perhaps that method will work with the 7th gen nano.

I don't know why apple did away with it...
On the 7th Gen, holding the "lock" button just turns the unit off - as in, no power, no music. This is the same as holding the play/pause button on older iPods. Unfortunately, it still doesn't perform the same task as a traditional "hold" button.

I'm really surprised that I can't find other people complaining about this issue. It seems like there will be a lot of music players sitting in a lot of purses playing until their batteries die...
Trubbles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

You're not even supposed to have it floating around in your purse, it's so tiny and fragile.

It's not very sensitive though. The click wheels still are, but not these. If you don't have headphones plugged in, it won't start playing music, nor can something like a bump easily activate it, you really have to push the buttons to get it to do anything. You really have to shake it pretty hard to get it to change the song even. I used to use the hold button all the time on my other iPods, but am doing very well without it on this one.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod