Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fotomatt1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
So I've had my iMac for about 4 days, and was doing some retouching in photoshop last night, and on an image with a mostly white background, I noticed that there is 1 dead pixel right in the middle of the display. What should I do? Return it? Keep it since it's not particularly noticeable other than on a pure white background? I'm torn, but it was an expensive machine approaching $3,000.

mlamb64150

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2012
Isle of Man
So I've had my iMac for about 4 days, and was doing some retouching in photoshop last night, and on an image with a mostly white background, I noticed that there is 1 dead pixel right in the middle of the display. What should I do? Return it? Keep it since it's not particularly noticeable other than on a pure white background? I'm torn, but it was an expensive machine approaching $3,000.

If it was any other 2-bob monitor I'd endure it, but this is a premium product. RETURN

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
late 27 incher here, i tested for dead pixels and nearly broke my eyes trying to find some. I think there might be a bad pixel on the bottle left side .. but so hard to tell. If it's gonna make you bonkers, send it back..if you can forget it, then keep it

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012

right in the middle for $3000, return it

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Agreed. Off to the side - perhaps put up with it.

In the middle? No chance. Return it for sure.

Leiser

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
Also thought i had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. There was a black dot 1 pixel in size but it was barely visible when i looked at it from the side.

I made a macro shot and saw that it was dirt on the outside glass that could be removed. Bad QC Apple.

First check if it is really a dead pixel and do not hesitate to return it if it is one. A dead pixel in the center is a no go for such a device.

fotomatt1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
Also thought i had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen. There was a black dot 1 pixel in size but it was barely visible when i looked at it from the side.

I made a macro shot and saw that it was dirt on the outside glass that could be removed. Bad QC Apple.

First check if it is really a dead pixel and do not hesitate to return it if it is one. A dead pixel in the center is a no go for such a device.

So how did you remove the piece of dirt?

Leiser

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
I carefully removed it with my fingernail.
If you go over it with your fingernail you should feel whether there is something on top of the glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.