Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:05 AM   #1
TazExprez
macrumors member

Has anyone removed the Otterbox Defender screen protector and used a different one?

I just bought two Otterbox Defender cases for the 4S at an AT&T store. I am thinking about removing the built-in screen protector and using a Power Support Crystal screen protector instead. Has anyone done this? I have not received my 4S yet. Would the screen protector fit well? Thanks for any help.

Btw, I want to do this because I have read comments stating that the touch sensitivity goes down with the built-in screen protector.
TazExprez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 12:07 AM   #2
Macman45
macrumors G5

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazExprez View Post
I just bought two Otterbox Defender cases for the 4S at an AT&T store. I am thinking about removing the built-in screen protector and using a Power Support Crystal screen protector instead. Has anyone done this? I have not received my 4S yet. Would the screen protector fit well? Thanks for any help.

Btw, I want to do this because I have read comments stating that the touch sensitivity goes down with the built-in screen protector.
And I don't have any problems using the one that came with it...I also think the built in one may well be harder to remove than you think, you may well break that half of the shell if you try.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:27 AM   #3
Walter Bell
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
And I don't have any problems using the one that came with it...I also think the built in one may well be harder to remove than you think, you may well break that half of the shell if you try.
The shell won't break however the glue residue is the biggest pain in the ass to deal with. I have tried all kinds of things to get rid of it, but I could never get all. I will say this, if u do remove it, plan on using a screen prtector as the glue residue will cause stuff to stick to it which will scratch your screen. I wish otter box would take out the screen protector and just give you a separate one to apply.
Walter Bell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2011, 02:56 AM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

Strange This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Bell View Post
The shell won't break however the glue residue is the biggest pain in the ass to deal with. I have tried all kinds of things to get rid of it, but I could never get all. I will say this, if u do remove it, plan on using a screen prtector as the glue residue will cause stuff to stick to it which will scratch your screen. I wish otter box would take out the screen protector and just give you a separate one to apply.
Maybe I just got a good one, but Ithe only issue I have is the "P: key sometimes doesn't contact the screen, apart from that it's fine, and lets face it, as soon as I'm indoors I take it off. They make great protections, but they are ugly. If it's raining you go through the whole routine of putting the rubber cover on it and then the belt case.

It does what it says on the tin though. I have tried putting on those screen protectors dozens of times and must have about 5 packs different makes lying around. No matter what I do, they all come out bubbly yep, I clean the screen and use the tool provided swear a lot, take the thing off and chuck the failed one pin the thrash.

Same goes for my iPad.....I just don't have the knack I guess!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:54 AM   #5
Walter Bell
macrumors regular

Have you tried attaching tape to the part of the screen that faces up and applying them that way? I don't use a screen protector period, which is why I rip out the otterbox screen protector. I thunk they ruin the beautiful display.
Walter Bell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:15 AM   #6
lyvisky
macrumors newbie

Otterbox Defender screen protector

The great guys at BestBuy installed a Zagg screen protector on my iPhone 4S, knocked out the Otterbox screen protector, then showed me how to put on the Otterbox. No problems whatsoever--ever! The nice thing about the Zagg, when you buy it from BestBuy, they will replace it free--forever! I feel confident and secure that my iPhone has the absolute best protection. I have dropped it a couple of times and didn't give it a second thought! Peace of Mind about my fabulous hand-held iPhone computer. Oh, and I bought the Otterbox Defender on Amazon for $25. Love it!
lyvisky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:08 PM   #7
koa
macrumors regular

It seems to me having the screen protector sealed to the plastic frame would make it more likely to keep out dust and possible water wicking through. Doesn't the frame become more flexible with the screen protector removed making it even more susceptible to dust etc.?
koa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories