Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

New2012MacForMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Thanks for all the replies and comments.

Blackmoses, it's not the font, it's the Pixie Dust title that came with FCPX. For the few seconds I have before it freezes up, I don't even have enough time to get into the title to change the font. The same font however works fine on other titles. And yes, running the latest version with all updates.

Feeling much better about the program lately. Just staying away from that title. The real test will come over the next week or so as I edit a bunch of home videos that need cleaning up. We'll see if I discover anything else.

Thanks again.

mrcliffsr

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Fcpx

Just want to say I'm having the same problem with my new iMac 27 and FCPX. Also have the same issue with Motion 5. Just doing a simple title zoom, the thing stutters, the play back speed falls to about 5 or 10 fps. then it freezes.
Can't move the cursor. Have to do a restart.

My old PPC G5 running FCP 5 has been fine and I'm afraid to put this new one in my work flow.

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
LOL CS6?
Isnt that a little much compared to FCPX...

No...

Here's my position, if you want to work on a glorified consumer editing solution/beta software why spend $3k on a computer to do that in the first place?

Once the money for the hardware is already spent if there's a way eliminate a lot of unnecessary hair pulling based on things that Apple may or may not change it makes sense to go another direction. Apple may fix that or they may ultimately tell you "...it's not intended to be used in that way" and then proceed to point you to three different tutorials that detail how to not accomplish what it is you are specifically trying to accomplish.

The whole philosophical debate about how video editors should work was visited for almost a decade and a half in the 1990's to the early 2000's and the vast majority of consumers (regardless of their budgets) decided with cash in hand that Avid basically got it mostly right and most software companies re-oriented their products around that UI structure. I lived and worked through that period and I just have no desire to re-investigate any of those issues.

Certainly every software has it's quirks and there's more to learn on the front end with Premiere, but for most tasks it's going to make the best use of your hardware and for most projects it's going to work as advertised.

Maybe in a couple of years FCPX will live up to what FCP accomplished, but I'm not interested in sabotaging my projects essentially to be a beta tester for Apple. I know it may sound harsh, but that's just my two cents.

harddriveowner

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2007
The freeze happens to me far too frequently. I not only reboot but turn off my 2 external Firewire 800 hard drives that I keep the video files in. When I clean out the 'system' completely, FCPX works fine.
I am still using a 2009 Mac Pro with 16 gigs of ram and Lion.
I do not blame OSX. It is FCPX.
As for the people who say just get rid of FCPX, I will say that when it is not freezing, it is faster than lightning compared to FCP 7. Is it possible that the problem might be the firewire connection with the external drives.
The question I have is would the freeze happen if the external drives were thunderbolt drives. Does anyone have a thunderbolt set up yet?
I am still waiting for the new Mac Pro but someone must be using a new iMac or laptop with a thunderbolt extenral harddrive.

New2012MacForMe

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 26, 2012
Haven't tried it with thunderbolt only. Originally I was using it with no external drives. More recently I picked up a 1tb WD usb 3.0. With or without the external drive I get the same issue with that one title. Now that I am steering away from that one title, everything works great and it really does fly.

steve123

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2007
Render problems

Like you, I was having a very frustrating experience recently that was resulting in fcpx crashes and system instability. It culminated in a repeating fcpx crash at start up and I could not do anything before the crash. I inspected the crash log and i think I recall I saw it was connected to a thumbnail. So I deleted the thumbnails and lo and behold, fcpx started up again. I surmise there is something that can go wrong when rendering thumbnails that can corrupt them.

So it may be helpful to keep in mind that another weapon in your arsenal is to delete the render files and/or thumbnails if your are experiencing frequent crashes.

Regarding Pixie Dust, boy am I glad I did not use it! I was looking at it just yesterday but decided to make my own effect in Motion. The result is much better and there are many more options and styles.

FYI, Alex4D has a sparks template you might want to look at too.

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
"pixie dust" works over here :) (2009 13"MBP and 2012 MacPro/Hackintosh :D).

maybe it's got something to do with the particle effect / GPU - does the Boogie Lights Title work?

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
"Pixie Dust" works for me too. On an early 2011 15" Macbook Pro running OSX 10.8.2 and FCPX 10.0.7. 16 gigs of RAM, 2.2 Core i7 quad core, OCZ Vertex SSD as boot drive and a Mushkin SSD "Scratch" in the optical bay, 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics.

SurfCity1

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
Just a note of solidarity. My brand new 27" iMac is doing the exact same thing. Not only with the Pixydust title, but all of them...randomly. It makes FCPX almost unusable. Complete hard locks the entire system. Crash report doesn't show anything, and the only way to get going again is a hard reboot.

Heading to an Apple in the next few days.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
"pixie dust" works over here :) (2009 13"MBP and 2012 MacPro/Hackintosh :D).

maybe it's got something to do with the particle effect / GPU - does the Boogie Lights Title work?

I tried Boogie Lights and it worked. I then added the Pixie Dust title behind it, and it managed to render fast to 30%, then very slowly went form 30% to 34% and crashed.

nzreg

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2009
As a matter of interest, after reading this topic I fired up FCP 10.0.6 running on a mac mini 16gig ram 2.3 ghz core i7, intel hd graphics 4000 768mb with osx 10.8.2.
Loaded pixie Dust onto a clip in the storyline and rendered lightning fast with no issues.
Hope this can be of help to someone:confused:

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
I've had the exact same problem with that damned title for a school performance. I'm running a Core i7 3770K Hac Pro over-clocked to 4.5Ghz, with 16GB of RAM and editing with H.264 from the 7D and 60D.

I should mention that I'm using the over-clocked NVidia GeForce Gigabyte Windforce GTX 670 w/ 2GB RAM.

It still crashes FCPX, so it's definitely not an issue with performance. I had to disabled background rendering to get on with the project.

Last edited:

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Haven't tried it with thunderbolt only. Originally I was using it with no external drives. More recently I picked up a 1tb WD usb 3.0. With or without the external drive I get the same issue with that one title. Now that I am steering away from that one title, everything works great and it really does fly.

Dude, stop the madness and get CS6. All this pain and suffering, which will continue btw, over $300.??? (or get Avid MC6 on an edu discount). And...if you desire to work in multi-user, broadcast post environments as an editor...all the more reason to get off of FCPX. I prefer Avid due to its media management, but Premiere CS6 is a very good NLE.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Dude, stop the madness and get CS6. All this pain and suffering, which will continue btw, over $300.??? (or get Avid MC6 on an edu discount). And...if you desire to work in multi-user, broadcast post environments as an editor...all the more reason to get off of FCPX. I prefer Avid due to its media management, but Premiere CS6 is a very good NLE.

Yep, sure. Because the solution to an identified issue with a $300 software package, which can apparently be completely avoided by not using one particular title, is to go out and buy a $1,899 software package (CS6) instead. :rolleyes:

rseredyn

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2011
FCPX freeze

Hi everybody

I use iMac 21.5'' 2,5 GHz I5, 8GB RAM, with FCPX 10.0.7
Mainly I use Mac to middle long projects (10-50 min movies, 1920x1080p, 25fps, ProRes codec).

After half year of using FCPX I have impression that the big problem is RAM management system. I bought "Memory clean" in AppStore. I revealed, that when I use FCPX (intensive changes in clips, changes of effect / generators etc) the structure of RAM changes: increase the inactive part of memory, even when I leave the projects.
I clean up the memory very often and I think, the freeze effects are rare.

Rafal

P.S. I don't have shares in Memory Clean's produrer and it isn't advertorial.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.