Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:57 AM   #1
mcsolas
macrumors regular

Running Windows on Virtualbox

I am getting the OS installed right now using virtualbox.

Do I need to install antivirus and run all the windows updates to protect it or how does that work? Same rules apply I figure since it will be able to get on the internet. I just put avast on there.

One thing that is confusing me is how to transfer files between the two places. It seems windows cannot see the mac's file system. For what I want to do (use a windows based file comparison tool) this is the primary reason I am trying to set this up.

Last edited by mcsolas; Jan 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM.
mcsolas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Stan Mikulenka
macrumors 6502

Hi,
you can get an App. (for your Windows) which can see a MacOS hard drives.
But it is a commercial app ($50~$70):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-01-29 at 1.52.28 AM.png
Views:	23
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	393332  
Stan Mikulenka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:09 AM   #3
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsolas View Post
I am getting the OS installed right now using virtualbox.

Do I need to install antivirus and run all the windows updates to protect it or how does that work? Same rules apply I figure since it will be able to get on the internet. I just put avast on there.

One thing that is confusing me is how to transfer files between the two places. It seems windows cannot see the mac's file system. For what I want to do (use a windows based file comparison tool) this is the primary reason I am trying to set this up.
Even though you'll be running Windows in VirtualBox(I do) I would still recommend treating the VM as though it were just a Windows-based PC. Install the AV and all the updates.

In VB settings for the VM you set up navigate to "Shared Folders," click the folder with the + sign, then select the drop down menu next to folder path, select "other" and then use the finder to locate which folders you would like the VM to have access to. There is no reason to buy other apps to do this.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:34 AM   #4
hallux
macrumors 65816

Absolutely treat a VB VM as if it were a stand-alone PC. As far as seeing your Mac data on the VM, if you install the Guest Additions inside the VM you can then add an entry in the Shared Folders section of the settings for that VM and it will show up as a network drive.

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:24 PM   #5
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Mikulenka View Post
Hi,
you can get an App. (for your Windows) which can see a MacOS hard drives.
But it is a commercial app ($50~$70):
Wow, terrible advice. That won't do what he wants (get access to the host OS filesystem), costs a lot of money, and can be done for free with features already in Virtualbox.
SlCKB0Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:15 PM   #6
mcsolas
macrumors regular

I see I gave up on virtual box too quickly. I liked how it worked. I am going to retry and see if I can get this working. If so, test the 2 apps I want to run.

Can VB also map to USB drives?

I ran into this testing out crossover as it ran Beyond Compare and I could see the primary drive inside the computer itself but not the external usb drive.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:40 AM   #7
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Can VB also map to USB drives?
yes
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:22 AM   #8
mcsolas
macrumors regular

Thanks, I will look into mapping the USB drive as soon as I figure out how to connect to the main one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
In VB settings for the VM you set up navigate to "Shared Folders," click the folder with the + sign, then select the drop down menu next to folder path, select "other" and then use the finder to locate which folders you would like the VM to have access to. There is no reason to buy other apps to do this.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction here. I found my way to this menu, added a folder "Documents" but I can't figure out still how to make Windows see it.

Does the Mac need to have sharing configured in a certain way as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCroissant View Post
Even though you'll be running Windows in VirtualBox(I do) I would still recommend treating the VM as though it were just a Windows-based PC. Install the AV and all the updates.
I went ahead and did this.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:23 AM   #9
Dweez
macrumors 65816

After adding "Virtual Box Guest Additions":

Select "Machine" from the top menu bar, then select "Shared Folders", and then click the folder with the plus sign (+). Once there, click the "Folder Path" pulldown, click on "Other" and then navigate to the local directory you'd like to have visible from within your VM.

My new shared folder shows up as \\vboxsvr\sharename.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:40 AM   #10
RedCroissant
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Thanks, I will look into mapping the USB drive as soon as I figure out how to connect to the main one.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction here. I found my way to this menu, added a folder "Documents" but I can't figure out still how to make Windows see it.

Does the Mac need to have sharing configured in a certain way as well?

I went ahead and did this.
The Mac doesn't need to have any sharing configurations set up. Just use the typical method of locating shared folders and locations in Windows. In XP navigate to the following:

START ---> My NetWork Places ---> VBOXSVR........

That should be it.

27" iMac, 3.2GHz i5, 16GB RAM, 3TB HDD; 32GB iPad 1 WiFi+3G; 30GB iPod Video 5G
RedCroissant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:00 PM   #11
mcsolas
macrumors regular

For some reason it wouldn't automatically show up in my network places. I was able to connect by manually navigating to the location. A restart also seemed to help it along after configuring the shares. I also networked the storage location on my usb drive. From there, I installed Beyond Compare. its comparing my /User directory and I am going to be able to run my backups and ftp now how I am used to. What a relief!

I should also be able to use axcrypt again now too, in case I need to lock/unlock individual files. I have them all in an encrypted disk image but I wasn't too happy about that solution. I liked my way

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac