Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I am getting the OS installed right now using virtualbox.

Do I need to install antivirus and run all the windows updates to protect it or how does that work? Same rules apply I figure since it will be able to get on the internet. I just put avast on there.

One thing that is confusing me is how to transfer files between the two places. It seems windows cannot see the mac's file system. For what I want to do (use a windows based file comparison tool) this is the primary reason I am trying to set this up.

Last edited:

Stan Mikulenka

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2009
Calgary, Canada
Hi,
you can get an App. (for your Windows) which can see a MacOS hard drives.
But it is a commercial app ($50~$70):

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-01-29 at 1.52.28 AM.png
    Screen shot 2013-01-29 at 1.52.28 AM.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 90

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I am getting the OS installed right now using virtualbox.

Do I need to install antivirus and run all the windows updates to protect it or how does that work? Same rules apply I figure since it will be able to get on the internet. I just put avast on there.

One thing that is confusing me is how to transfer files between the two places. It seems windows cannot see the mac's file system. For what I want to do (use a windows based file comparison tool) this is the primary reason I am trying to set this up.

Even though you'll be running Windows in VirtualBox(I do) I would still recommend treating the VM as though it were just a Windows-based PC. Install the AV and all the updates.

In VB settings for the VM you set up navigate to "Shared Folders," click the folder with the + sign, then select the drop down menu next to folder path, select "other" and then use the finder to locate which folders you would like the VM to have access to. There is no reason to buy other apps to do this.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Absolutely treat a VB VM as if it were a stand-alone PC. As far as seeing your Mac data on the VM, if you install the Guest Additions inside the VM you can then add an entry in the Shared Folders section of the settings for that VM and it will show up as a network drive.

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Hi,
you can get an App. (for your Windows) which can see a MacOS hard drives.
But it is a commercial app ($50~$70):

Wow, terrible advice. That won't do what he wants (get access to the host OS filesystem), costs a lot of money, and can be done for free with features already in Virtualbox.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
I see I gave up on virtual box too quickly. I liked how it worked. I am going to retry and see if I can get this working. If so, test the 2 apps I want to run.

Can VB also map to USB drives?

I ran into this testing out crossover as it ran Beyond Compare and I could see the primary drive inside the computer itself but not the external usb drive.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks, I will look into mapping the USB drive as soon as I figure out how to connect to the main one.

In VB settings for the VM you set up navigate to "Shared Folders," click the folder with the + sign, then select the drop down menu next to folder path, select "other" and then use the finder to locate which folders you would like the VM to have access to. There is no reason to buy other apps to do this.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction here. I found my way to this menu, added a folder "Documents" but I can't figure out still how to make Windows see it.

Does the Mac need to have sharing configured in a certain way as well?

Even though you'll be running Windows in VirtualBox(I do) I would still recommend treating the VM as though it were just a Windows-based PC. Install the AV and all the updates.
I went ahead and did this.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
After adding "Virtual Box Guest Additions":

Select "Machine" from the top menu bar, then select "Shared Folders", and then click the folder with the plus sign (+). Once there, click the "Folder Path" pulldown, click on "Other" and then navigate to the local directory you'd like to have visible from within your VM.

My new shared folder shows up as \\vboxsvr\sharename.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Thanks, I will look into mapping the USB drive as soon as I figure out how to connect to the main one.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction here. I found my way to this menu, added a folder "Documents" but I can't figure out still how to make Windows see it.

Does the Mac need to have sharing configured in a certain way as well?

I went ahead and did this.

The Mac doesn't need to have any sharing configurations set up. Just use the typical method of locating shared folders and locations in Windows. In XP navigate to the following:

START ---> My NetWork Places ---> VBOXSVR........

That should be it.

mcsolas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
For some reason it wouldn't automatically show up in my network places. I was able to connect by manually navigating to the location. A restart also seemed to help it along after configuring the shares. I also networked the storage location on my usb drive. From there, I installed Beyond Compare. its comparing my /User directory and I am going to be able to run my backups and ftp now how I am used to. What a relief!

I should also be able to use axcrypt again now too, in case I need to lock/unlock individual files. I have them all in an encrypted disk image but I wasn't too happy about that solution. I liked my way :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.