Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
The idea and realization looks awesome .. I just don't get why I have to route my mail through their servers .. makes me uncomfortable.

T

andrewweiser

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
1900 infront of me! I've been waiting months for this app, I really hope it delivers. (no pun intended).

Cayennr

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2013
Skopje, Macedonia
I got excited when I saw MacRumors' Facebook post about Mailbox app and when I registered I saw 251.437 people in front of me and now I'm sad. :( I guess this takes a good week or two before I get to try the app.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The idea and realization looks awesome .. I just don't get why I have to route my mail through their servers .. makes me uncomfortable.

T

According to their website, it's to handle push notifications and the "do later" stuff. I must admit, it does cause me a bit of concern too

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
They should have called the app anything but mailbox. It's a pain to search for in the app store.

App Store vanity urls to the rescue!

In the mean time, searching for Mailbox Orchestra should get you close.

33k in front, this could take a while.

marshy82

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
Judging by the current rate at which the mailboxes are being given out, I should have my mailbox in 122 days

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

T

Well said. Very uncomfortable. I'll pass, but cool idea. I hope google or apple make this kind of layout native in the mail/gmail iOS apps.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Basically the Dropbox model.

I am 3,354 so hopefully soon. On their Tumblr page they say scaleup will be slower at first (makes sense as they can troubleshoot, etc. easier with fewer initial users), and will then ramp up new user rate.

When I go to gmail web page, it says I have 19,177 unread messages. Hopefully this will help. ;-)

I hope some point down the line they can add support for other IMAP accounts. Gmail lets you check outside POP accounts, but not IMAP.

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I signed up for the waiting list last month, but couldn't find my code anywhere (I'd forgotten that they sent it in a text message). So I just got into the end of the line when I downloaded the app. Now that I've found my reservation code, there doesn't appear to be any way to enter it once you've entered the queue. I've tried deleting/reinstalling and that didn't work. Any ideas?

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
They are going to offer additional email functionality services at some point.

You don't make money just from email. You need to snoop on those emails and show ads next to them (or use them to build a personal profile for targeted ads) to make money.

From their site:
Mailbox is free, and our goal is to have a free version forever. Like Evernote and Dropbox, we hope to add a premium set of paid features over time.

I dunno, with so many users I don't think that'll be a sustainable business model. It depends on how much server processing they're doing and how cheaply they can scale, though.

I'm going to try it on a temporary password.

EDIT: According to the Verge, they're using OAuth2 to integrate with Gmail (which doesn't store your password). That's more reassuring.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.