Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
No, YOU don't care. Which is fine. You can have your opinion. Just as long as you remember that it is your opinion and not universal

Many folks care every much about the internals. Because that, not the enclosure it what will bring the iPad closer to being a valid laptop replacement.

I think you should amend that to say:

"Because that, not the enclosure it what will bring the iPad closer to being a valid laptop replacement for more people."

It is already a valid laptop replacement for many (including me). ;)

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Can Apple implement this software and keep the bezel?
My thumb is not transparent.

I think that how you hold it will depend on its weight. The original iPad was heavy; the bezel was necessary because holding it primarily from the bottom would be too difficult, so you'd have to hold it from the middle.

Personally, I hold my iPad 1 as a painter's palette most of the time. I think smaller bezels, and the missing metal, will result in significant weight saving enabling users to hold the iPad from the bottom when in portrait mode.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
With properly working software you don't need the bezel. At least not in the sense of a black/white space.
I want to hold the iPad on the besel, not on the screen.
Blocking the LCD screen with my thumb is not a good user experience.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Their used to be a time when I said these mock ups were pointless and utterly false in ever manner. Sadly with today's Apple more often then not they prove to be a perfect copy of the actual finished product :( no more secrets Apple.

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
I think that how you hold it will depend on its weight. The original iPad was heavy; the bezel was necessary because holding it primarily from the bottom would be too difficult, so you'd have to hold it from the middle.

Personally, I hold my iPad 1 as a painter's palette most of the time. I think smaller bezels, and the missing metal, will result in significant weight saving enabling users to hold the iPad from the bottom when in portrait mode.

iPad 2 is light, iPad 3 is heavy ..... Apple should use carbon fiber like Boeing 787 to reduce weight.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011

I own both the first gen iPad and the iPad 4 - it's hard to imagine that the iPad 1 was once the newest thing out at onepoint lol

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
This again feels like evolution, not revolution.

------------

EDIT: People have asked repeatedly how it could be improved.

Whilst I agree that it is essentially a flat screen computer with a bezel - therefore how can you improve it - I can think of a few off the top of my head, but I'd love to know what would be on everybody's wishlist:

Storage - they used to swap out the bottom storage option, bump it up at the same price. Why is 128gb extra? Surely 32/64/128 should have been brought in at the same price points.

Speakers - the speakers are decent, but even the Amazon Fire has vastly superior sound. It would be tough, but innovate. Simple things like watching the iPad in landscape (i.e. all the time) mean the speakers are facing one direction.

Battery life - there needs to be a genuine innovation with battery life, that's a criticism levelled at pretty much everyone, not just Apple. However it comes - solar, kinetic, a flippin fuel cell! - it needs to happen. This would be revolutionary.

Split screen/Multitasking - yes, this is venturing into iOS turf. But it is a bit ridiculous that we can't respond to a tweet/iMessage whilst watching a film. But yep, I recognise that is an iOS issue.

Storage (Part 2) - why no external storage options?

Bulletproofing - Make it dust & waterproof (a la Sony Experia Z). This is actually really huge, as so many people use it in the kitchen daily (I come home to mine having flour all over it). Imagine reading in the bath without fear!

Processor/RAM - I actually don't think this is much of an issue. It's pretty great.

Screen - Looks like it will be a revolution in terms of thinness, for sure. How about density/durability?

Price - The iPad is going to face increasing competition, not just technologically, but price wise. They won't drop the price, but if they did, the iPad would rule like the iPod does (i.e for the next decade). Apple has the market share right now, but needs to learn from the iPhone debacle it is currently facing.

The point is also that if I'm completely wrong and it really is ridiculously difficult to conceive ways to revolutionise the iPad, then how can they justify only incremental updates with such a continually high/increasing price?

Google and Amazon are now providing rival tablets for far less (and then imagine 2 years from now). If they can do what the iPad does and more - the Mini was a purely reactive move by Apple - then Apple needs to justify the high price.

Thoughts?

You literally know nothing else about this upcoming iPad other than how it might look and you are already prepping a list of potential ways that you will dislike it. Clearly, want a custom tablet that YOU designed that meets only YOUR needs. I've got news for you...custom tablets aren't available on retail shelves yet.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I wonder how many purchases of the mini were due to the aesthetics. Perhaps the new design of the large iPad will help even out the change in consumer interest towards the mini?

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
i'd rather have non-exploding batteries with aluminium or even plastic enclosure :D
I'm serious, I'm not making fun on Boeing regarding 787 battery was burnt in Japan.

If the bezel is eyesore to Apple (like the thickness of old iMac), Apple should increase the size of LCD instead of reduce the size of aluminium enclosure. I don't want the effective area of the LCD reduced by my thumb blocking.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
Believe me ... I'm with you in saying that I'd rather get an iPad Mini than an iPad if they have the same exact resolution. But, a larger screen makes things bigger on screen, even though you might not see more. So it does mean something, at the very least.

But to add to my example, there are 13" and 15" laptops that have 1080p screens. Both sell, regardless.

For me, size matters. A bigger screen at the same resolution is still a bigger screen, which means visibility is improved, as well as target sizes. I wouldn't have to zoom as much. A 50" 1080p tv is more pleasurable to watch than a 25" 1080p tv. I know the size difference is not proportional, but you get the idea.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I want to hold the iPad on the besel, not on the screen.
Blocking the LCD screen with my thumb is not a good user experience.

I wonder the same thing. But weight is a factor: try a mini (or some other lightweight thin thing... DVD box?)--when held flat or at an angle, you can hold it well by the EDGE rather than the surface. And that's probably the natural habit to avoid screen-blockage. (And luckily, the new iPad looks like it will still have SOME side-bezel to work with.)

Like this:
IpadMini_35438986_12_610x436.jpg

(You can even do that with a full iPad, it's just less comfortable.) Now, when you hold your iPad straight vertically, you'll need more of a surface grip. But even an iPad 2 is very hard to hold that way one-handed. Vertical use is mainly 2-handed already; or rest it on lap/table/chest/stand/dog.

(Leverage is a factor too: you need the bezel more when holding it in landscape--and the bezel there will remain.)

Steve.P.JobsFan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2010
Columbus
I'm drooling over the mockup of the 5th Generation iPad, it looks stunning.

However, I think I'll be sticking with my iPad 4 (that I got this past Christmas), since it's paid for, and is still fantastic, fluid, fast, and not to mention meets my needs.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I just recently bought iPad 4 which is my first tablet. I've actually wanted a tablet for two years now but was one of those "should I wait for the next model" who thinks about the purchase way more than they should. One of the things that made pull the trigger on iPad 4 was that people were saying the thin bezels of the up'n'coming iPad 5 would make my thumbs hit the screen. Thin bezels do look modern and sexy but can one say that thicker bezels offer nothing better in terms of usability and not blocking the screen.

My iPad 4 is still in its box and I could still return it. However, the truth is that if I do and wait for the 5, I not only yet again lose the time I could be using a tablet but also even more time waiting for the accessories which every manufacturer would then have to remake because the items compatible with the 1/2/3/4 are not compatible with 5. I'm also the type of guy who plans to stick with his purchase for as long as he can (so I'm not selling the 4 for the 5 or even 6 down the road).

Oh, and I do like the fact that I get to own the last example of the design that Steve Jobs approved.

how would you use it? landscape? i never have my ipad in portrait. so i want the thinner bezel for sure. over 2 years ive used my ipad in portrait maybe 4 times.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
No, YOU don't care. Which is fine. You can have your opinion. Just as long as you remember that it is your opinion and not universal

Many folks care every much about the internals. Because that, not the enclosure it what will bring the iPad closer to being a valid laptop replacement.

What's a valid laptop replacement? Because most of our sales and project management staff have switched over to iPads...and they had laptops.

----------

I think Apple should go 1 step further and actually 'increase' the size of the screen on the iPad. Go up to 11" on it and make it the true work/home iPad while the mini slots into the 'on-the-go' iPad.

Then you really do have two different market segments for it and can shut-up some of these 'it's not a laptop replacement..the screen is too small to do REAL work on..' wtf that means considering I know plenty of people that have ditched their laptop for the iPad.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
And then touch the screen with your thumbs all the time. I also think it's not that good looking. But that's just me.

iOS 6 has a feature built in that will ignore your hand touching the edge of the device. This was I think originally created for the iPad mini but it works on iPhone, iPod touches and full size iPads too.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
I think Johnny Ive will do something to iOS 7 i agree with you that we could see a real change in iOS 8. he can not so so much in a year. what do you think?

Yeah I think iOS 7 will see some hints from Ive possibly removing the skeuomorphism from some of the apps which Ive doesn't like. In terms of implementing what Ive really wants to do I think will be left to iOS 8 which I'm excited for. I think Ive is amazing designer and he is a great asset to iOS. :D

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Narrower bezel requires chamfering for friction

... and reports claiming that it will include the same chamfered edges as on its smaller sibling. [...]

I think chamfering is absolutely essential if the bezel gets that narrow.
The chamfer adds two relatively sharp edges for more friction.
Try this (over a pillow or couch): hold an iPad mini in portrait mode with one thumb on top.
Slide your thumb as far as you can off the edge without dropping your iPad mini.
Pretty far, I'd guess. Probably less than 1 cm of thumb on top, right? Less than the bezel width.

Now turn the iPad mini upside-down and try the same thing.
You'll drop it way before you get to the "1 cm limit" because the curved back is too smooth.
The chamfering adds two friction-increasing edges that help to prevent dropping.
Thus, the narrower bezel is only really practical with chamfering.

So that's the real reason why the iPad mini has chamfered edges. For better one-handed grip.
And if the bezel of the full-sized iPad gets much smaller, it too will need a chamfered upper edge.

(And the iPhone 5's chamfering also helps prevent dropping. The edges, on front and back,
add friction to all grip angles.)

Tigerman82

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
how would you use it?

I'm a university student. Let's say I want to read a long PDF. I would certainly read it in portrait mode when sitting down. The most natural position for me to do that is to you both hands on the sides of the paper/device. With the iPad 5, this might result in part of my hands getting in the way of the screen. So that's one thing. Another is that while I know they already use the accidental finger movement auto-detection in the borders with the iPad Mini, I've read several statements that it isn't perfect: if you keep your thumbs in place, it's fine but if you move them slightly (so that your finger doesn't get tired) that might lead to the iPad registering movement.

The thin bezels works for the iPad Mini as it is small and light enough to not have to grasp the borders so much. However, while the iPad 5 will undoubtedly be lighter, it is still a full-sized iPad.

Who knows, the thin bezels might be a good thing. I just got the feeling that I've done right by not waiting for the iPad 5 and adopting this design's first wave in the full-sized iPads and going with the iPad 4.

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
Can I really not get a edge to edge screen? Is this really 2013? The future really is not what I thought it would be 20 years ago. Disappointment.:mad::rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.