Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JazzyK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
No unfortunately not :( I discovered the wonderfulness of timemachine after it all went wrong :(

JazzyK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
Yes used VLC to view it the sound wasn't working via the HDMi cable to the TV so I restarted the Mac at about 17.35 and everything had gone :eek:

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
On my console messages everything that was deleted is listed at 17.39 when I restarted the mac there is lots of other stuff on there I don't understand but it may help to you wonderful experts out there

The console log you posted seems like normal start-up-related stuff to me. It might help if you posted the portion just before this. Hard to understand how all your files just vanished.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
The console log is too long as it lists all the files deleted - thanks for your help :) Will try and post some of it so you can see an example this is where it starts -

This seems very strange. Like someone snuck a malicious script onto your system and added a login hook to have it run at login. The bad news is that your files may be deleted (though perhaps still recoverable with the right tools).

Please open Terminal (in Utilities) and paste in the following:

Code:
defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow

Press return and post the output. It may help determine why the loginwindow process did whatever it did.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Here's what it says
-2:~ kirstyroban$ defaults read /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow
{
MCXLaunchAfterUserLogin = 1;
MCXLaunchOnUserLogout = {
s08134 = 1;
};
OptimizerLastRunForBuild = 21644448;
OptimizerLastRunForSystem = 168167424;
RetriesUntilHint = 3;
SHOWFULLNAME = 1;
autoLoginUser = kirstyroban;
lastUser = loggedIn;
lastUserName = kirstyroban;

Is your Mac a company or school-owned machine that is administered/maintained by IT personnel? I ask because of the MCX that I see above.

JazzyK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
yes it was originally my schools, it's now my personal one though

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
No just me,

----------

Sorry missed your question it was downloaded

Then you might've picked up something on the way down. Also, since your Mac is school issue, I have a strong idea.

Your school might be regularly checking that their computers are not used for illicit activities. Downloading a movie might qualify under their policy as illicit. Hence, the IT guy from the school nuked your Mac. The only hole to this theory is that the mac you have now, you claim as yours. Did you eventually buy it?

JazzyK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
As far as I know they are not overseeing it anymore as it's now owned by me and I have free range over what I do, I'm logging on via my home network etc. I also know the IT guys well and they wouldn't nuke me :)
when I googled it quite a few people seem to have had the problem but no one seems to be offering a solution I can find on google :eek:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
can you suggest a good one please?

To be honest, I've never used one, so I wouldn't be the right person to ask. I am simply here because perhaps there was something that could be done, but since you are reporting that this issue has happened to others and no solution is found, then, not much I can do now.

kryten2

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2012
Belgium
To see if anything is left in your home folder can you do this please.
Please open Terminal (in Utilities) and paste in the following:

Code:
du -chd 1 /Users/kirstyroban

Press return and post the output.

JazzyK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
mac-recovery-free 21-54-32-686.zip
mac-recovery-free.zip
Don't know what these are don't remember ever using these but the dates Jan 2011 13.08mb each

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.