Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What's all this about server overload? Whose server? Why?

As I understand, for the app in order to make it work all your email has to come to and then through their servers. Which is why it is only working with gmail, that's the only company that was willing so far to give them access in such a way.

Until it is open to all services its a meh in my book.

curmudgeon32

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2012
As I understand, for the app in order to make it work all your email has to come to and then through their servers. Which is why it is only working with gmail, that's the only company that was willing so far to give them access in such a way.

Until it is open to all services its a meh in my book.

Agreed. Also, since none of that prioritizing and stuff is going to be visible in the desktop Gmail interface or anything, this is really of limited use. If they also made a Mac OS X app for this, and/or a regular web interface that synced all the work you do on the phone, I could see it making sense. But, honestly, a lot of the emailing I do on a phone is kind of triage anyway. The real work gets done on the desktop with a real keyboard.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Agreed. Also, since none of that prioritizing and stuff is going to be visible in the desktop Gmail interface or anything, this is really of limited use. If they also made a Mac OS X app for this, and/or a regular web interface that synced all the work you do on the phone, I could see it making sense. But, honestly, a lot of the emailing I do on a phone is kind of triage anyway. The real work gets done on the desktop with a real keyboard.

It will, actually.

They've stated that it will architect a folder structure in your gmail account that will be visible through browser access. I don't remember exactly what the setup will be, but there will be some sort of interaction with normal gmail login (say from a computer) apart from the iOS app.

For me, this is perfect since I do 99% of my email reading and composing on my iPhone. This will really help me keep everything sorted. Now just need them to start filling reservations faster..

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Free app. No Ads. Email is routed through their servers.

Anyone want to take a stab at their money making business model?

1. It gets their name out there for any paid apps they have or create later
2. They can always charge for things like having more than one email working with the app.
3. Hope that this will blow up and someone wants to buy it. Like google or apple.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
You don't make money just from email. You need to snoop on those emails and show ads next to them (or use them to build a personal profile for targeted ads) to make money.

From their site:

Who knows what they will do but I doubt this company will do ads. I think they will offer alternative services. For example, must like icloud where you get a certain amount of fee space, they may allocate a certain amount of email addresses to free users or some sort of space allocation. With an upgrade you can get more. That is just a thought. I believe I read somewhere that they will offer additional services for a few. Maybe a calendar of sorts?

They want to prove that their product is worth it to users and I doubt they will place ads in your email. It goes against the point of having an email service app in the first place.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Personally, I see little use in third party mail apps. Apple's app works just as well for me and doesn't route my mail through some incapable server.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
1. It gets their name out there for any paid apps they have or create later
2. They can always charge for things like having more than one email working with the app.
3. Hope that this will blow up and someone wants to buy it. Like google or apple.

yes as google buying sparrow was fantastic for users :rolleyes:

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Demand doesn't seem to be a problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-8SaOdOPQ

Glassed Silver:mac

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360273790.168119.jpg

What he said... And the number keeps going up and up

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I really wish apple would revamp their email apps. The osx version is horrible unless you have one account and never use reminders, organizing or anything else.

The reordering is such a smart idea. I wish they made this for OSX as well

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
People are waiting on a virtual waitlist to hand over their Google login/password to a company they've never heard of, so that company can give them access to their own emails and contacts.

P.T. Barnum was right.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
apu7ata4.jpg

Only 8,600 in front of me but by the time I get to use it... All of the OTHER mail/email apps that are being developed will ready to use.

Imagine the fact that you have to wait for the people in front of you to do it... And they totally forget about it because they are discouraged by the line of people

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I'm at 343,702 so I'm thinking it will be a few years?!?

I actually took some data points and the queue is moving at a rate of 0.4 spots/min. So you can do your own calculation! :D

----------

Only 8,600 in front of me but by the time I get to use it... All of the OTHER mail/email apps that are being developed will ready to use.

Imagine the fact that you have to wait for the people in front of you to do it... And they totally forget about it because they are discouraged by the line of people

My guess is that by Monday you will have access.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
People are waiting on a virtual waitlist to hand over their Google login/password to a company they've never heard of, so that company can give them access to their own emails and contacts.

P.T. Barnum was right.

...someone doesn't understand how OAuth works.:rolleyes:

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
No point getting so excited. In a few weeks google will buy them and put the app dead... As they did with sparrow :( kinda tragic, the gmail app is still less good than the sparrow app.. Google should have tossed theirs, added push to sparrow and keep going from there. Now I'm betting we will see the same here. They buy it and kill it. Adds its gesture features into the gmail app 1 year later in an half a.ss way with beta stamps all over.

enklined

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Earth
Piss. I couldn't find my reservation info in my email from last month, so I clicked "reserve now" (or whatever) on the app.

Just found the reservation info in a text message; can't figure out how to get back to the "front" screen where it asks for a reservation number or if you want to reserve now. Tried uninstalling and rebooting to no avail. Just goes back to reservation countdown screen. Ideas?

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
They make their money by blackmailing you after it downloads all your mail to it's servers! :p

Search: boss+jerk, wife+cheat, two+girlfriends...

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I don't see how y'all misclicked "reserve now"... Y'all SAW the options to input code.. We're y'all just super excited and clicked?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.