Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:33 PM   #1
kyomagi
macrumors member

iPhone 5 or HTC Windows 8X

Ok, please keep in mind i have a ipad for all my app needs.

I just need a phone with 4g and email

Should i go with the iphone 5 or the HTC?
kyomagi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:43 PM   #2
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Seeing as you're on an Apple forum, I would definitely go with an iPhone 5 . It's nice having your apps correlate with your iPad and iPhone.
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:00 PM   #3
617aircav
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyomagi View Post

If you like windows 8 get the 8x, if you like ios get the iphone 5. Only you can answer this. Also this is an iphone forum where people have experience with the iphone and not windows, thus the answers are probably not helpful at all. Just walk into an att store and see for yourself.
617aircav is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

In terms of hardware, you can't really go wrong with either of them (I actually have an 8X that I use alongside my 4S). It's really the software that will help you decide. Since you said you have an iPad to cover your app needs, that won't play as much as a factor in your decision.

Have you played around with both OS's yet? IMO the live tiles with Windows Phone are much more useful than the static icons of iOS. I find the OS to be equally smooth/fluid between both. In all honesty, except for the app gap, I'd rank WP and iOS as my favourite mobile OS's. I give the slight edge to WP because of the live tiles.

I'd say since you already have an iPad, go with the 8X because then you'll get the best of both worlds.
Agent-P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:57 PM   #5
surjavarman
macrumors 6502a

I'd get the iphone5. Because the h8x is a plastic piece of poop. Huge bezel, clunky and heavy.
surjavarman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:29 PM   #6
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
I'd get the iphone5. Because the h8x is a plastic piece of poop. Huge bezel, clunky and heavy.
It's not heavy unless your a frickin stick insect

I have both a HTC 8X and a iPhone 5.

There are too many issues with the HTC 8X (music rarely syncs with Xbox music no matter what settings meaning cover art and smart-dj feature rarely if ever actually works).

Bluetooth audio sometimes stops and I have to do a full reboot to sort it.

Sick of waiting for the portico update which fixes a number of my issues, but the vagueness of who s responsible to roll out the update frustrates. Why it just can't be released everywhere at same time like apple.

Beats optimisation seems to amount to pre-amp volume boost rather than proper equalisation, and unlike the HTC One X you can't use beats settings with Bluetooth headphones.

Windows Phone 8 needs a proper notification centre.

HTC 8X battery life has been so so for me.

If I had to choose between one or the other, most definetly it would be the iPhone 5. Much less needless frustrations.

I am going to sell my HTC 8X and buy a Blackberry Z10. I'll be keeping my iPhone 5.
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Cody3133
macrumors member

Quote:
Then gets a Windows, why have 2 of the same thing just bigger?
Cody3133 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Agent-P
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
It's not heavy unless your a frickin stick insect

I have both a HTC 8X and a iPhone 5.

There are too many issues with the HTC 8X (music rarely syncs with Xbox music no matter what settings meaning cover art and smart-dj feature rarely if ever actually works).

Bluetooth audio sometimes stops and I have to do a full reboot to sort it.

Sick of waiting for the portico update which fixes a number of my issues, but the vagueness of who s responsible to roll out the update frustrates. Why it just can't be released everywhere at same time like apple.

Beats optimisation seems to amount to pre-amp volume boost rather than proper equalisation, and unlike the HTC One X you can't use beats settings with Bluetooth headphones.

Windows Phone 8 needs a proper notification centre.

HTC 8X battery life has been so so for me.

If I had to choose between one or the other, most definetly it would be the iPhone 5. Much less needless frustrations.

I am going to sell my HTC 8X and buy a Blackberry Z10. I'll be keeping my iPhone 5.
Which carrier is your 8X with? Mine is a T-Mobile and I got the portico update right away. Fixed the issues I was having with it.
Agent-P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:52 PM   #9
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-P View Post
Which carrier is your 8X with? Mine is a T-Mobile and I got the portico update right away. Fixed the issues I was having with it.
3 Ireland.

I tried putting different carrier sim (vodafone) in as mine is carrier unlocked and still no portico. Very frustrating.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:41 PM   #10
MuffCabbage
macrumors regular

Im happy with my 8X over the iPhone 5, but I cant say I would recommend it to everyone. Im on my third for QC issues and the hard to hit power button is a huge knock.

WP8 is cool though
MuffCabbage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:01 PM   #11
Peterg2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffCabbage View Post
Im happy with my 8X over the iPhone 5, but I cant say I would recommend it to everyone. Im on my third for QC issues and the hard to hit power button is a huge knock.

WP8 is cool though
And the same thing I have read with the Lumia 920. I really want an alternative to the iPhone 5 but with the QC issues I won't be jumping to WP8 (ignoring the weaknesses the OS/apps).
Peterg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:38 PM   #12
b166er
macrumors 68020

If you are genuinely interested in WP8 I would suggest Nokia rather than HTC. But if all you need is 4G and email, why is between those two phones? You have dozens and dozens of inexpensive options.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:06 AM   #13
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffCabbage View Post

WP8 is cool though
No QC issues here but the power button is a PITA and is hard to get used to. It's even worse with a lot of the cases I've tried.
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:01 AM   #14
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Can't go wrong with either one in my opinion. As someone else mentioned, decide which OS you want and then go from there.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:14 AM   #15
kyomagi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Can't go wrong with either one in my opinion. As someone else mentioned, decide which OS you want and then go from there.
Thanks

I liked the windows os, however, 3g tethering killed it

I picked up a iphone 5 at full retail because they wont let me keep my unlimited plan at VZW.

Jailbroke it and have myfi. I love it.

Now, do i keep my ipad or go for a nexus 10? lol
kyomagi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:14 PM   #16
TheMTtakeover
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I would say iPhone 5. You already are on iOS with your iPad and I think the metro interface looks...meh.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:55 AM   #17
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Sold mine.

Still no portico update. Bugs were driving me mental and the power button placement was getting on my t1ts.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:50 AM   #18
Fernandez21
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjavarman View Post
Huge bezel yes, but clunky and heavy? Have you ever held one? And they use a high quality plastic that feels really good.

The 8X is beautiful, but I would pick the iPhone 5 over it due to iOS and the way you can have your iPad and iPhone mirror each other.

Now if the 8X had android in it, it would be a much harder decision.
Fernandez21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices