Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Is there a way to connect apple tv to an old tv. It has only the 3 colored stereo inputs red yellow white. Im reading places that the hdmi cable to rca wont work. That I need one of those converter boxes. The illegal ones that don't copyright so it works.

Can i plug from HDMI on the ATV into HDMI on my comcast cable box?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

The cable box' HDMI is OUTPUT, can't send HDMI signal TO it.

Yes there are converters, BUT more expensive than it's worth (hundreds) and result awful.

Look at the Black Friday's flyers. Cheap TV everywhere. How exactly poor are u? :confused:

adammusic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
lol. well i was gonna get a new vizio with the built in apps, which would make apple tv useless basically. So i want to get it to work now for the time being. & also pretty broke.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Is there a way to connect apple tv to an old tv. It has only the 3 colored stereo inputs red yellow white. Im reading places that the hdmi cable to rca wont work. That I need one of those converter boxes. The illegal ones that don't copyright so it works.

Your Comcast box won't pass through audio and video from your AppleTV to your TV.

Sorry, it's not designed to do so.

Best Buy is having a Black Friday deal at midnight tonight for $180 on a 40" Toshiba LCD. Grab one of those and an HDMI cable and call it a day.

dgalvan123

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008

Redwyvern

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
Yonkers, NY
Yes, I would also like to know the exact product. I have HDTV, but only has component inputs, and also DVI input (old Sony KDF60XBR950). I would love to get an ATV 3, but keep hearing conflicting info on converters.

Thanks

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Yes, I would also like to know the exact product. I have HDTV, but only has component inputs, and also DVI input (old Sony KDF60XBR950). I would love to get an ATV 3, but keep hearing conflicting info on converters.

Thanks

If you have an DVI input on the HDTV, all you need is a simple HDMI to DVI adapter cable. If you only have a component input, you'll need a converter though.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
He would also need a DAC to route the audio to, since DVI doesn't do sound and ATV doesn't do analogue audio. Or he could buy a 1G ATV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.