Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
to change the volume by 1/4 hold SHIFT AND OPTION key and the press volume up or down!

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
More Tips? Can only bookmark this if it provides me 2 tips I didn't know/ have memorized.

Is that good motivation?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Option + brightness keys (F1 or F2) brings up Display Preferences.
Option + Mission Control (F3) brings up Mission Control Preferences.
Option + Keyboard brightness (F5 or F6) brings up Keyboard Preferences.
Shift+Option Keyboard brightness gives 1/4 adjustments of keyboard brightness.
Option + Sound keys (F10, F11, or F12) brings up Sound Preferences

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Dock Icon Seperator: To bunch together similar applications.

Open Terminal and copy/paste the following:

defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps-array-add'{tile-data={};tile-type="spacer-tile";}'

Need to refresh dock for the changes to apply. In Terminal type:

killall dock

Press 'Enter' or ' Return' and give it a moment.

Done!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Dock Icon Seperator: To bunch together similar applications.

Open Terminal and copy/paste the following:

defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps-array-add'{tile-data={};tile-type="spacer-tile";}'

Need to refresh dock for the changes to apply. In Terminal type:

killall dock

Press 'Enter' or ' Return' and give it a moment.

Done!

What does it actually do, not really understand what it does.

and I got this:

User:~ User$ defaults write com.apple.dock persistent-apps-array-add'{tile-data={};tile-type="spacer-tile";}'
2013-02-08 13:48:54.374 defaults[1789:10b] Could not parse: persistent-apps-array-add{tile-data={};tile-type="spacer-tile";}. Try single-quoting it.

Edit: Oh, and I did make a backup of dock plist, I would recommend others to do as well.

Last edited:

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Is there a keyboard shortcut to opening the Bluetooth preferences/connection options (specifically a way to open up the little Bluetooth icon on the top/menu bar)? I've had to replace batteries in the mouse before and it didn't automatically connect after turning it back on. Keyboard automatically connects. For this reason, we carry a wired mouse with us and the iMacs in the field...,'just in case'.

J

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Is there a keyboard shortcut to opening the Bluetooth preferences/connection options (specifically a way to open up the little Bluetooth icon on the top/menu bar)? I've had to replace batteries in the mouse before and it didn't automatically connect after turning it back on. Keyboard automatically connects. For this reason, we carry a wired mouse with us and the iMacs in the field...,'just in case'.

J

Mine have always automatically connected (we've got three of them on different computers) however sometimes you need to wait a minute or two for it to happen. Patience!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.