Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

5-inch_iPhone_mockup_lineup-800x450.jpg
3.5" iPhone, 3.5" iPhone 4, 4" iPhone 5, and (mockup) 5" iPhone by iMore
Brightwire translates a report from the Chinese media which claims that Apple will be launching both an iPhone 5S and a 5" iPhone 6 this year:
- A source told Chinese mobile phone information site Laoyaoba.com that he has seen the iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 at Apple's suppliers. Both models may be released in 2013, according to the website's microblog on Thursday evening.
- The source noted that the iPhone 5S resembles the iPhone 5, and the five-inch iPhone 6 is lighter and thinner.
This rumor adds to a chorus of reports that Apple is seriously considering a larger form-factor iPhone in the near future. While early reports had suggested that such a model wouldn't see the light of day in 2013, later reports continue to point to a 4.8"-5.0" device coming soon from Apple.

All these rumors have generated a significant amount of speculation on how such a larger model might make sense in Apple's iPhone lineup, especially when comparing it to Samsung's current offerings.

Due to Apple's use of Chinese manufacturers and the need to prototype their designs, it's possible that all of these sightings could be true, yet Apple may still not launch such a device in 2013. If Apple does begin ramping up production for 2013, we expect we'll see parts of this larger device to also begin to leak out of China.

Article Link: Chinese Source Claims iPhone 5S and 5-Inch iPhone 6 to Launch in 2013

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Apple has been doomed since the time it started following market trends, not setting them, and even worse, following Samsung. Oblivion is all they deserve.

jtinch

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2011
Am I the only person who's content with 1 version of the iPhone every year? The iPhone 5 is exactly what I want. That's just what we need, more "Oh hey they made a small iPad and a big iPhone last year isn't it the same thing. We'll call this 5" phone the iPad mini mini."

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Ew, 5" screen?? If they actually release this, which I doubt they will, I just hope they'll still have the 4" version. Why anyone wants 5" is beyond me, but it's only a personal preference.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
If they do a 5" phone I sure hope it doesn't have that stupid 16:9 aspect ratio. I still think the perfect phone size is between 4 to 4.5 inches with a 3:2 aspect ratio or whatever the old iPhone was.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Have fun backpedaling on all the "this screen is the best size" marketing.

When did Apple ever market that? Only users, especially "fanboys", did. IMO the perfect screen size is the iPhone 5 except slightly wider but with an aspect ratio greater than that of the iPhone 4. But I'm fine with the iPhone 5 size and the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Last edited:

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Skip the bigger phone.

Make a iPhone 5s and stick phone capabilities in the ipad mini.

Done and done.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
If they do a 5" phone I sure hope it doesn't have that stupid 16:9 aspect ratio. I still think the perfect phone size is between 4 to 4.5 inches with a 3:2 aspect ratio or whatever the old iPhone was.

Most video cameras disagree, and remember that 5" with that boxy aspect ratio will be hard to grip. The smart thing about Apple only increasing the length of the iPhone is that it's still the same width and is therefore held in the same way, but the screen is bigger. In addition, it is shaped better as a phone because the mic is closer to the mouth.

Subjectively, I like the iPhone 5 screen better than the iPhone 4 screen, and I'm not saying that just because I have it... because I don't. I have an iPhone 4.

Last edited:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple has been doomed since the time it started following market trends, not setting them, and even worse, following Samsung. Oblivion is all they deserve.

If Apple makes a larger phone... they're doomed. :rolleyes:

What has everyone else been doing lately?

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012

And what great knowledge has be granted to you that allows you to know that this market trend is Apple's aim? What if they have something to offer they we don't know about that designates the use of a 5 inch phone?

kot

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
And a cold welcome to the trolls.

I'm not a troll. I own a MacBook Pro, an iMac, an iPhone 5 and an iPod Nano, I could make a photograph if I actually cared if you believed me or not. And owning all of them this is the exact reason why I'm sad, watching my favorite electronics manufacturer wither and die is not something I enjoy daily.

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
If the big iPhone is a less expensive phone to replace the 4s so all the phones could be 16x9 then I guess I could see it, but if apple is having trouble keeping their iPhone 4 in stock, I can figure the same for the 4s if they keep following their yearly pattern for selling phones.
If they do make a bigger screen phone, I don't see it having a different resolution than the current one especially if it is the less expensive one. Also this being a Chinese report, they may only put it out in the less well-to-do countries.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.