Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I have had every major iPhone release... I don't really care what they do with hardware at this point. It's always beautiful, always feels great and is the best available when it's released..

I care about the tired OS. I'm really bored with it at this point... I bought an iPhone 5 in the fall and I'm thinking of giving it to my wife and jumping ship after all these years... It sucks because I'm so deep in the apple ecosystem... I have iPads iMacs MacBooks POWERBOOKS Apple TV's iPods and iPhones... but this will most likely be my last...

It's not that iOS isn't great- it is... But I'm bored with it. It looks the same as it always has and I'm ready for a change.....I think..

Why dont you try jailbreaking your i5? The best of both worlds, so many things you can do with a jailbreak

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Am I the only person who's content with 1 version of the iPhone every year? The iPhone 5 is exactly what I want. That's just what we need, more "Oh hey they made a small iPad and a big iPhone last year isn't it the same thing. We'll call this 5" phone the iPad mini mini."

I agree. I honestly didn't even mind the 3.5 inch screen bc my thumb reaches better.

The iPhone 5 rocks for me just bc of the weight. If they can make The next iPhone even lighter I'd be tempted.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
As long as they release a 4" version of the newest iPhone, I'm okay with the addition of a 5". I don't like the 4.3" size of my HTC as it is and I really only want smaller devices, and I don't want my options to be lessened because I want that smaller screen size.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I highly doubt the rumour of a 5" iPhone anyway. It took forever for apple to take the leap to a 4"

I doubt they were "trying" the whole time to do it, and I think Apple could make a 5" iPhone if they wanted to, but I doubt the rumor for other reasons. I'd also never buy a 5" phone, EVER.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
I want to be able to comfortably carry my phone in my pocket. At 16:9 and 5 inches it will be too long for that. Easier to fit a bit more width then height. Also I really think you need to try using a larger 3:2 phone for awhile before you can really make a comparison. I currently have a Galaxy S3 which I believe is 3:2 if not close enough. The extra width doesn't bother me or hinder me at all its reaching for the height. Thus a 16:9 5" phone would be far too much of a stretch even for people with large hands.

I highly doubt the rumour of a 5" iPhone anyway. It took forever for apple to take the leap to a 4"

The Galaxy S3 is 16:9… Otherwise it'd be close to 1/3rd of an inch wider.
A 5" iPhone would probably only be marginally larger than the S3.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
AMEN

I would as well.

I LOVED the 4.8" screen on my s3.. only thing was, I can't stand android and the problems that phone gave me..

Can you please tell me the problems you had with it?

I've always wondered what an android was like. Never owned one before.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
It's not that iOS isn't great- it is... But I'm bored with it. It looks the same as it always has and I'm ready for a change.....I think..

I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise, but I think changing your OS just for fun gets boring quickly. I remember the days when I had Ubuntu running in Bootcamp on my Mac...

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I've always wondered what an android was like. Never owned one before.

Android phones:
Lots of Google stuff, no Apple stuff.
More cloud stuff.
Flea market app market but doesn't need to be hacked to get certain apps.
Can't sync with iTunes :(, sometimes works in Finder :), sometimes requires Android File Transfer :mad::mad::mad::mad::eek::eek:.
Lots of customization in general, bad and cluttered GUI in my opinion.
Fragmentation and difficulty with updates.
Packed with a lot of features, which I sometimes like.
Can sometimes use Adobe Flash, which is usually more bad than good.
Gimmicky cameras in some cases like the Nexus. That is, it's 1080p but garbage quality.
More glitches than iOS but has improved a lot quickly.
Can be bought cheap in some cases.
Some 'Droids have MicroSD slots, which is great. I wish my iPhone had that.
Some apps cannot run on iOS unless it is jailbroken due to tight restrictions.

Last edited:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Ew, 5" screen?? If they actually release this, which I doubt they will, I just hope they'll still have the 4" version. Why anyone wants 5" is beyond me, but it's only a personal preference.

Same here--but for those who don't mind the extra size (bad eyesight being a great excuse) I certainly don't mind them adding the option!

I doubt even Apple yet knows whether they'll sell it or not (the 4" iPhone outsells the various mega-phones) but it makes sense to work on it just in case they decide to do it.

Android phones:

Three additions:

• Android gives you a larger number of customizations of the screen you see when you're NOT using your device :p (In other words, not using an app... just looking at the home screen. Hey, we all do that sometimes!)

• Android devices are quickly abandoned by the manufacturer and you stop getting software updates. Even vital security fixes, often.

• Some of Google's own stuff is worse on Android than on iOS (like the Maps app). Not surprising considering that iPhone users are used to better UIs and would crucify Google for UI problems that Android users tolerate. Also not surprising considering that Google makes more money from iOS than from Android.

Last edited:

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Meh, I really liked the size of my s3, but I couldn't take Android. I gave it a chance. For 60 days. I'd buy a larger iphone. But, if there isn't a larger one, I won't lose much sleep. The screen size isn't the deal breaker.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I actually wouldn't mind a 5" device. When I worked away from home I'm not sure I would have wanted much bigger than 4" but since i now work at home 5" would make sense for me

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
I'm not a troll. I own a MacBook Pro, an iMac, an iPhone 5 and an iPod Nano, I could make a photograph if I actually cared if you believed me or not. And owning all of them this is the exact reason why I'm sad, watching my favorite electronics manufacturer wither and die is not something I enjoy daily.

Man you people are dramatic. Apple can't keep up with demand for their products yet they're "doomed."

By that math, I'd love to be doomed.

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
I have had every major iPhone release... I don't really care what they do with hardware at this point. It's always beautiful, always feels great and is the best available when it's released..

I care about the tired OS. I'm really bored with it at this point... I bought an iPhone 5 in the fall and I'm thinking of giving it to my wife and jumping ship after all these years... It sucks because I'm so deep in the apple ecosystem... I have iPads iMacs MacBooks POWERBOOKS Apple TV's iPods and iPhones... but this will most likely be my last...

Well, if it doesn't look kewl enough, jailbreak it and theme it. Easily enough done, as long as you don't expect a fresh jailbreak for EVERY iOS update. I've got an old 1st gen iPod touch themed to look like Leopard on a Mac...close enough to make people go "huh?"
I also have an iPhone 4, and while I can see a larger phone for women who carry it in their purse, or guys with large suit jacket pockets that don't care if they look goofy from having something bulky in there, I don't think I'd want a phone larger than the iPhone 5. If I want a tablet, I've got one (3rd gen iPad), and between the two don't see much point for myself in another form factor. To me, there's just not enough space between a 5 inch phone and an iPad mini for there to be any real need for both.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I care about the tired OS. I'm really bored with it at this point... It sucks because I'm so deep in the apple ecosystem... I have iPads iMacs MacBooks POWERBOOKS Apple TV's iPods and iPhones... but this will most likely be my last...

Well have fun with the androids. You're going from a seamless premium product, to a clunky fractured product.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Same here--but for those who don't mind the extra size (bad eyesight being a great excuse) I certainly don't mind them adding the option!

I doubt even Apple yet knows whether they'll sell it or not (the 4" iPhone outsells the various mega-phones) but it makes sense to work on it just in case they decide to do it.

Three additions:

• Android gives you a larger number of customizations of the screen you see when you're NOT using your device :p (In other words, not using an app... just looking at the home screen. Hey, we all do that sometimes!)

• Android devices are quickly abandoned by the manufacturer and you stop getting software updates. Even vital security fixes, often.

• Some of Google's own stuff is worse on Android than on iOS (like the Maps app). Not surprising considering that iPhone users are used to better UIs and would crucify Google for UI problems that Android users tolerate. Also not surprising considering that Google makes more money from iOS than from Android.

Sorry but the android maps app is flat out better than the iOS version.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
The Galaxy S3 is 16:9… Otherwise it'd be close to 1/3rd of an inch wider.
A 5" iPhone would probably only be marginally larger than the S3.

Your right my bad. I wonder why the iPhone feels so much more skewed? Maybe because the top and bottom portions above and below the screen are thicker to the size of the screen then the S3's

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
When did Apple ever market that? Only users, especially "fanboys", did. IMO the perfect screen size is the iPhone 5 except slightly wider but with an aspect ratio greater than that of the iPhone 4. But I'm fine with the iPhone 5 size and the 16:9 aspect ratio.

They did market it a bit as an optimum size for the average person. The site also says that the 4" screen is "just right" and "It’s bigger, but it’s the same width as iPhone 4S. So everything you’ve always done with one hand — typing on the keyboard, for instance — you can still do with one hand."

This can be interpreted in slightly different ways. Even though hand size varies a lot, Apple can safely say that anyone who can use an iPhone 4S with one hand can use an iPhone 5 with one hand. I think it's the best size for the average person, but there's no perfect size for everyone.

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, I just wanted to say that they imply in the commercial that it's the perfect size for everyone (and the description says it's the perfect size for everything). But I agree with you in the sense that it could be interpreted differently depending on how you look at the wording.

Btw, I like your signature :D

bmpwe

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2006
I'll be glad when this size arms race is over.

My perfect phone: keep the 4" screen but drop the bezels to 2-3 mm on top, 1mm on the sides and just enough on the bottom to house the button (which I prefer to the soft keys on android). Shave off a few mm on the depth, after that, going thinner isn't much of a improvement.

Now we've got the form factor perfected, move on to increasing speed, battery performance, and software.

Last edited:

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Flea market app market but doesn't need to be hacked to get certain apps.

Nothing wrong with Play Store. In fact it's seeing a faster increase in revenue than the App store now. The App store is still leading by far, but if that trend continues, the App store could loose it's crown.

requires Android File Transfer :mad::mad::mad::mad::eek::eek:.

Don't hate on that. It works great on my Mac running Snow Leopard.

Lots of customization, bad and cluttered GUI in my opinion.

Not really. It's not perfect, but certainly not bad and cluttered. Then again that's your opinion.

Fragmentation and difficulty with updates.

What's hard about updates? That's why you go the Nexus route. Updates straight from the source. Just like with the iPhone and iOS.

Can sometimes use Adobe Flash, which is usually more bad than good.

JB doesn't support flash. At least not by default.

Gimmicky cameras in some cases like the Nexus. That is, it's 1080p but garbage quality.

Not sure what people expect from a cell phone. Yea tech will get better, but for don't expect Panavision quality.

More glitches than iOS but has improved a lot quickly.

No glitches that I can see. Everything works smoothly.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011

It's true. You have no need to be tied down with regards to your phone. Just try whatever you want

BiigBiscuit

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
5 inch phones are Samsung's domain. Entering it means following in Samsung's footsteps. Especially if the iphone 5is just the same phone but with a larger screen, that will be gross.

But the smartphone market is Apple's domain right? So in that case, since Apple shouldn't enter Samsung's 5" phone domain, Samsung shouldn't enter Apple's smartphone domain?

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Nothing wrong with Play Store. In fact it's seeing a faster increase in revenue than the App store now. The App store is still leading by far, but if that trend continues, the App store could loose it's crown.

Don't hate on that. It works great on my Mac running Snow Leopard.

Not sure what people expect from a cell phone. Yea tech will get better, but for don't expect Panavision quality.

By "flea market", I meant that it's cluttered. I've seen a few Android app purchases and made a few, and it's ugly. There are so many horrible apps out there.

Android File Transfer runs an agent on your Mac 24/7 even if the device is not plugged in. It hardly ever works with my friend's Nexus. It's REALLY slow. Why can't it just show up as a normal volume in Finder??? I thought that was one of the Android advantages, but it turns out that it's much easier to use an iPhone in an iTunes-free way (which I rarely do) with DiskAid.

I expect at least iPhone 4 quality from a newer phone. I compared Nexus 1080p video to my iPhone's 720p. The iPhone video is obviously better to the eye, and that can be quantified in bit rate as better since it's the same compression and a higher bit rate. The sound is also noticeably horrible on the Nexus. I put both videos next to each other, showed my friend, and he said "See? My phone has much better quality." The video he also voted on was secretly the iPhone video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.