Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Having just purchased the new 21.5" imac. And already owning an iPhone 4S and an ipad 3rd gen. I decided to purchase iTunes Match. Especially with the new update allowing you to download individual tracks to your devices!

Now I know that £21.99 isn't a lot of money for 1yrs subscription. Bit it is if it makes a mess of a well organised library!!

I really should have read up a bit more about it on here before I went ahead and purchased.
I have a library consisting of approx 4500 songs at present. With the majority being 128kbps mp3's. so one of the attractions was that as apple state, you could re download a better copy (256 AAC) if it is matched in the store!
But was amazed to find that approx 500 songs were uploaded instead of matched even though they were in the store!
Nearly every album bar a few have at least one uploaded track. For example. I have every single AC/DC album. And the first track on'back in black' will not match even though it is in the store. I have tried everything from converting said track to AAC. to deleting it and downloading again!!

Surely this has to be a problem at the apple end. I'm just a bit worried that I have made a total mess of my library. As I started to erase quite a few albums and re download from the cloud fr better quality. But now the sound quality isn't consistent across an album because some of the tracks are of a lower quality!
I never did a backup either of my originals. Will I still be able to recover them in 'time machine' !!?!

Another infuriating issue. Is the 'genius' playlists that are appearing on my ipad with no way to delete!
It isn't as bad on the iPhone as the playlists are sort of hidden. So finding and playing music isn't as problematic!
Why apple removed the ability to turn off genius in itunes is beyond me!!
I really thought that coming from a windows pc to a mac would simplify things. But thus far I have encountered numerous problem. This being the icing on the cake. Windows media player was just so simple to use compared to itunes!

If anyone has any input or could enlighten me it would be most appreciated!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Always, always, always keep a local copy of your files. Especially when downloading new versions to update your library.

As for some not matching, that's totally normal and is an issue on Apple's end.

Hang in there, iTunes gets easier as you use it. It's taken me many years to master it. I'm also not sure why we can't turn off Genius since we can for apps. Seems odd if you ask me.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2012
Always, always, always keep a local copy of your files. Especially when downloading new versions to update your library.

As for some not matching, that's totally normal and is an issue on Apple's end.

Hang in there, iTunes gets easier as you use it. It's taken me many years to master it. I'm also not sure why we can't turn off Genius since we can for apps. Seems odd if you ask me.
Thanks for your reply HazyCloud. ;)

I now realise that I should have backed up my music files. But could you please just confirm one thing!!?!
The albums/songs I have deleted and re downloaded from the cloud. Will they be keepers now? If I right click to show in finder. They are showing as saved!
If this is the case. I think my library is ok apart from certain albums I have mentioned having the odd song at the old bit rate as it was uploaded!
Also. If I don't re subscribe. The way I have read it is that you still keep the songs you download from iCloud!

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks for your reply HazyCloud. ;)

I now realise that I should have backed up my music files. But could you please just confirm one thing!!?!
The albums/songs I have deleted and re downloaded from the cloud. Will they be keepers now? If I right click to show in finder. They are showing as saved!
If this is the case. I think my library is ok apart from certain albums I have mentioned having the odd song at the old bit rate as it was uploaded!
Also. If I don't re subscribe. The way I have read it is that you still keep the songs you download from iCloud!

Yes, you now own all of those songs you re-downloaded and you'll also get to keep those even after you stop subscribing. If you have songs to upgrade, you may want to do that before it is time to subscribe again in the event you end up not signing up again.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
had some of the same issues with some songs on an album not being matched. On a few of them it was because the version in iTunes was a newer (remastered) version of the Album. The "remastering" changes something on some songs enough that match does not "match" it. I have gone back in and spent about $40in iTunes downloading the iTunes version of that song (just to complete that Album).

I also have been able find a newer pressing of that CD that has the remastered version on it.

All in all i have all of my songs now at the higher bitrate, not all 100% matched but i can live with where i am.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.