Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I care about the tired OS. I'm really bored with it at this point... I bought an iPhone 5 in the fall and I'm thinking of giving it to my wife and jumping ship after all these years... It sucks because I'm so deep in the apple ecosystem... I have iPads iMacs MacBooks POWERBOOKS Apple TV's iPods and iPhones... but this will most likely be my last...

I'd hold off until we see what iOS 7 has in store. It will be the first iOS with Ive heading up design, and with Scott "paper shredder" Forstall off the project.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
They should probably take this ad down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1Rc4MDmr8o

I'd love a larger 16x9 screen maybe 4.8" or 4.9". But Apple should use the extra real estate to get rid of the huge bezels at the top and bottom of the phone they make the phone look so damn tall. (prediction for iphone 7)

Also- Put the home button on the side of the phone, or just make it a touch button. All i want at the top and bottom is the speaker/camer/mic holes.

Then they would have the "big screen" with a small form factor.

Also- Apple, forget about the S series. Just make one new phone every year, and offer it in two sizes iphone and iphone+ for eternity, with no need to worry about changing the screens sizes ever again. I'll buy one every year.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I don't think there is anything wrong with them offering another screen size to give people the option. So many people are complaining that releasing a bigger screen size would be following Samsung and not being "innovative". I think not releasing a bigger screen size just because a competitor has already done it would be even dumber. Offer the 4" screen for people who want a smaller phone and offer a 4.8"-5" model so people don't jump ship to Android. It seems to be working with the iPad mini.

6EQUJ5

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
i think 4.3" - 4.5" is the sweet spot. if apple could make the home/springboard button part of the touchscreen as well as shave a little off the top leaving just enough for the front camera then maybe.... just maybe you could make the screen 4.7" I tested a bunch of phones at bestbuy, target and radio shack, which means i've tried most of them and those 5", 5.5" and 6" phablets are just plain silly!

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I'm all for Apple releasing multiple sized iPhones, but releasing a 5S and 6 doesn't make sense. It would have to be a line extension... maybe they'll call it iPhone 4" and iPhone 5"; not unlike how they differentiate MacBooks today, by screen size.

I think the 5" will sell well, though many users who've been screaming for a larger display may find that the extra inch isn't going to change their lives like they thought it would. In fact, some of them may find that the trade-off in usability may not be worth it. As my co-worker recently said of his galaxy s3, "it's just big enough to be annoying to use"... and his hands are larger than average.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
This cud work if done right

Am sure they had looked into this when they made the iPad mini :rolleyes:

but if done ie that 5" iPhone , it has to stand out, not just the iOS:cool:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
At the next product launch, I think Tim should walk out on stage, rip the concealing black cloth off the display stand, sending the new 5.5" Apple iPhablet tumbling across the floor, then storm off stage as he's heard to shout, 'There, happy now?!'

I think that would create some free media attention the likes of which even Apple has not known before. :)

dmx3698

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2011
Lol

This reports is wrong and everybody knows it; apple will do a 5 inch screen next year. The iPhone 5s is coming this year.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Apple has been doomed since the time it started following market trends, not setting them, and even worse, following Samsung. Oblivion is all they deserve.

Why is it when people copy Apple it's a "natural progression" of tech and when Apple "copies" by making a larger version of something they pretty much created, they deserve "oblivion"?

If Apple wanted to release a larger phone, why did they even make that ad talking about one-handed use? Its not like they would change their minds in a few months after doing usability studies and releasing another size. If they wanted two sizes, they would have kept the 3.5 and then a larger version methinks.

Last edited:

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I believe if Apple builds a 5" iPhone 6 (this year or next), they will come. Even some who believe 4" is more than enough for them or is the "perfect size" will be tempted, once they hold it at the Apple store. In other words, you're getting more options under Tim Cook and I think that's a good thing. More options with the iOS would also be appreciated.

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
I'm quite happy with my iPhone 5, but it would be great if Apple didn't just handover the giant phone segment to Samsung.

----------

Why is it when people copy Apple it's a "natural progression" of tech and when Apple "copies" by making a larger version of something they pretty much created, they deserve "oblivion"?
It's not exactly copying, it's pretty much that competing in another segment. It's not like their killing their smaller phone line.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I have had every major iPhone release... I don't really care what they do with hardware at this point. It's always beautiful, always feels great and is the best available when it's released..

I care about the tired OS. I'm really bored with it at this point... I bought an iPhone 5 in the fall and I'm thinking of giving it to my wife and jumping ship after all these years... It sucks because I'm so deep in the apple ecosystem... I have iPads iMacs MacBooks POWERBOOKS Apple TV's iPods and iPhones... but this will most likely be my last...

It's not that iOS isn't great- it is... But I'm bored with it. It looks the same as it always has and I'm ready for a change.....I think..

Pretty much how I feel, although I'd welcome a larger screen option.

Why dont you try jailbreaking your i5? The best of both worlds, so many things you can do with a jailbreak

Exactly what I'm planning on doing. Break my iPhone's walls down and see if that can add some excitement.

I think it will be refreshing for a while, but the longer term hassle may not deem it sustainable.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Wether or not a 5" Iphone is a hit or not the point is that the customer has a choice. The keyword is choice. I would rather see a high end Iphone that costs more but has great 'extra' features as a choice.

Times are changing and as a customer let us have the choice.

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
You guys must be seriously dense if you think Apple releasing a larger display means they are copying Samsung. First off, neither Apple nor anyone holds intellectual rights to a screen size. Secondly, Apple will certainly take advantage of high quality materials such as liquid metal (something that Samsung doesn't do) and will retain the OS that is now and will always be their original idea.

If Apple thinks demand exists for a 5 inch display, them building one is simply the logical thing to do
They aren't copying the technique employed, or the shape/ build for the case. They are simply making a product they invented bigger. (And my bet is it will only be available in 64GB and 128GB versions) and will cost $899 for the 64GB and $999 for the 128GB off contract. (Possibly $100 more for each). Simply put, it will be the more premium model for the person that wants it. They will also release a $399 Model that will secure the low end market. In short, everyone that owns an iPhone will see a reason to upgrade. Imagine what will happen if they sell 300-500million IPhones with the help of China and India. They will break the stock market by earning 100billion +. Margins won't be compromised and may in fact increase) due to the IPhone + having higher margins. Same logic as with the iPad 128GB Model. Memory is cheap.

For Apple to make truly futuristic stuff, they will need tons of money. By tons I mean 50-100billion +. Call me crazy, but I have his theory. Apple literally can't spend the money it has on the things it needs. They can't buy Foxconn because they would kill every company on the planet besides them and would make them a monopoly. Even with Sharp, all they can do is invest 3billion to bail them out/ form a partnership, and secure cheap reliable production of all the IGZO displays they need. By bailing them out, they can also have much leverage on pricing. Were they to buy Sharp outright, something they could in theory do, they might actually have to spend more, and would be taking on unnecessary baggage/ liabilities and might have anti trust problems.

The only way thy can achieve the scale/ production capacity they require is to build it themselves. If they build the coolest stuff, and are the only company that happens to be able to use their materials and fascilities that's not their problem.

If they kick everyone out if Foxconn, devote all workers to Apple and tell everyone else to get lost, they could be in big trouble. Odds are the deal would never be approved by any government.

Apple is building fascilities and a data center. What are the using them for? Odds are we won't know until they are finished and are being used.

Liquid metal/ Holographic Displays/ IPanel require new machines and a workforce that is trained to use the new materials. They also require chips that don't exist yet or that only exist in prototypes/ small scale number. They also require the production costs to not be off the wall. Even if Apple could release crazy futuristic technology in 2-3 months it would cost way more than most would or could afford and would likely be very supply constrained. Why not wait until they can achieve yields, achieve costs at make sense, and are ready to make 50-100million in 1 year? Not t mention the obvious part about them needing to fully test the models before they are produced. It's possible they have already done this, but I have doubts the A7/A8 chips are ready for prime time.

They can barely produce 40million IPhone 5s in 6 months. What makes you think they can build 50-100million of some crazy futuristic gadget in the same amount of time?

Last edited:

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
I am looking forward to the 5" iPhone 6 with which I will replace my iPhone 4S.

With so many rumors out, Apple better get the iPhone 6 out quickly; otherwise, it will loose more market share to Samsung and others.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Too late Apple

Well they best stop ****ing about and either confirm or bring the 6 out soon, as come March I'm swapping my 4S for a new Galaxy. Lack of innovation and always late to the party .... that's apple these days!

----------

You guys must be seriously dense if you think Apple releasing a larger display means they are copying Samsung. First off, neither Apple nor anyone holds intellectual rights to a screen size. Secondly, Apple will certainly take advantage of high quality materials such as liquid metal (something that Samsung doesn't do) and will retain the OS that is now and will always be their original idea.

If Apple thinks demand exists for a 5 inch display, them building one is simply the logical thing to do
They aren't copying the technique employed, or the shape/ build for the case. They are simply making a product they invented bigger. (And my bet is it will only be available in 64GB and 128GB versions) and will cost $899 for the 64GB and $999 for the 128GB off contract. (Possibly $100 more for each). Simply put, it will be the more premium model for the person that wants it. They will also release a $399 Model that will secure the low end market. In short, everyone that owns an iPhone will see a reason to upgrade. Imagine what will happen if they sell 300-500million IPhones with the help of China and India. They will break the stock market by earning 100billion +. Margins won't be compromised and may in fact increase) due to the IPhone + having higher margins. Same logic as with the iPad 128GB Model. Memory is cheap.

For Apple to make truly futuristic stuff, they will need tons of money. By tons I mean 50-100billion +. Call me crazy, but I have his theory. Apple literally can't spend the money it has on the things it needs. They can't buy Foxconn because they would kill every company on the planet besides them and would make them a monopoly. Even with Sharp, all they can do is invest 3billion to bail them out/ form a partnership, and secure cheap reliable production of all the IGZO displays they need. By bailing them out, they can also have much leverage on pricing. Were they to buy Sharp outright, something they could in theory do, they might actually have to spend more, and would be taking on unnecessary baggage/ liabilities and might have anti trust problems.

The only way thy can achieve the scale/ production capacity they require is to build it themselves. If they build the coolest stuff, and are the only company that happens to be able to use their materials and fascilities that's not their problem.

If they kick everyone out if Foxconn, devote all workers to Apple and tell everyone else to get lost, they could be in big trouble. Odds are the deal would never be approved.

Apple is building fascilities and a data center. What are the using them for? Odds are we won't know until they are finished and are being used.

Liquid metal/ Holographic Displays/ IPanel require new machines and a workforce that is trained to use the new materials. They also require chips that don't exist yet or that only exist in prototypes/ small scale number. They also require the production costs to not be off the wall. Even if Apple could release crazy futuristic technology in 2-3 months it would cost way more than most would or could afford and would likely be very supply constrained. Why not wait until they can achieve yields, achieve costs at make sense, and are ready to make 50-100million in 1 year? Not t mention the obvious part about them needing to fully test the models before they are produced. It's possible they have already done this, but I have doubts the A7/A8 chips are ready for prime time.

...wow, how long did it take you to write that nonsense!!!!!

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Can you please tell me the problems you had with it?

I've always wondered what an android was like. Never owned one before.

I can tell you from my experience, Android is not as polished nor as "organic" as iOS. It's somewhat tedious to deal with and the UI is not as well thought out. Sure, you can customize it with widgets, but it literally takes a second to launch a full-blown app so I never felt the need to clutter my homepages with crippled apps. My homepage was set up pretty much like an iPhone, with a bunch of apps. If you don't set it up that way, you have to tap the apps button to access your apps, adding another layer.

Then there are the little things, like the back button's inconsistent behavior; a major faux pas in UI design. For example, it can take you out of a popup, then back a page within an app, then back to your homepage. Apple's "x" to close popups and back buttons clearly labeled within the app (eg., "playlist") is a much more user-friendly approach. Sometimes, tapping on the back or home button lights them up like they've been activated, but nothing happens; they should be greyed out when unavailable. On my HTC, I also had a menu button that rarely worked which is why Google eventually did away with it.

Using the notification center to see all my activity was never as useful as glancing at my iPhone's homescreen and seeing the badges that immediately tell me I have 3 messages and 11 emails, for example.

Then there are the bugs that required me to reboot regularly and one in particular that made me almost pull out all my hair... I couldn't load web pages and it would happen randomly.

It's not as responsive and the graphics often 'stutter'... much more so than iDevices. This is well documented, and even the latest devices don't feel as buttery smooth as iOS.

As for upgrades, I never received one because Sense UI took up too much memory. And my phone was considered top of the line when I bought it and after only 6 months, my phone wasn't even supported!

So there's a reason why Android comes dead last in every customer satisfaction survey. As for the folks who think Android is all that... the vast majority of them never used anything else so of course it's going to feel revelatory next to a feature phone or blackberry... a good chunk of the Android experience is based on iOS, after all. That said, if you love to tinker and customize every aspect of your device, Android is really good for that.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Pretty much how I feel, although I'd welcome a larger screen option.

Exactly what I'm planning on doing. Break my iPhone's walls down and see if that can add some excitement.

I think it will be refreshing for a while, but the longer term hassle may not deem it sustainable.

Why jailbreak ... Just buy the more advanced Galaxy 4 in march and have fun learning a whole new ecosystem. That's what I'm doing: if Apple can't provide the experience I want and others can, that's where I'll go!

Ljohnson72

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
Denver, Co
When did Apple ever market that? Only users, especially "fanboys", did. IMO the perfect screen size is the iPhone 5 except slightly wider but with an aspect ratio greater than that of the iPhone 4. But I'm fine with the iPhone 5 size and the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Surely you're not serious. They have a commercial just about how "perfect" the screen size is. It's even mentioned in the Keynote at the iPhone 5 announcement.

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
Well they best stop ****ing about and either confirm or bring the 6 out soon, as come March I'm swapping my 4S for a new Galaxy. Lack of innovation and always late to the party .... that's apple these days!

----------

...wow, how long did it take you to write that nonsense!!!!!

Have fun with your malware infested, fragmented ecosystem, sudden death syndrome and exploding galaxy problems.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/02/04/apple-iphone-explodes-galaxy/
http://pappzd.com/2013/01/samsung-galaxy-s3-sudden-death/

Seth Rogan, and the other dancing monkeys at Samsung will be parading around town in their diapers joking about how the amazingly innovative "lol" Korean Company managed to steal ideas, waste millions/billions in advertising, pay millions for endorsements by celebrities who openly use iPhones, and make itself look like a fool during the Superbowl. Say hi to Sam Sung.

There are reasons that only 25% of Android users are running Jelly Bean. People buy android phones for one of four reasons. 1) They are nerds and care more about unnecessary functions on a phone than anyone should. 2) They hate Apple for some reason, 3) It's what their carrier recommended and they he be no preference, or 4) Because it's cheap. A handful of people may legitimately like Android more, but I have a hard time believing that is true for more than 5-10% of Android users who know anything about IOS/ the reasons that Android is dangerous/ the evidence that the GS3 is a stolen product.

Making a screen bigger/ putting in a faster processor/graphics card/ more memory does not equal innovation. Samsung doesn't innovate. They use Googles OS, a poorly renamed kind of NFC (as their primary sales pitch?) and stolen ideas that were redesigned from a phone that was blatantly stolen. They made their phones smaller, and guess what, they sucked at doing it. Their phones barely last 1 year and have no logical warranty support. $300 for a replacement screen? Having to mail your phone to Texas and wait weeks for a replacement? Seriously?

If exploding phones that die after 1 year due to faulty, rushed engineering equals innovation, something is wrong with the word. Apple makes things smaller, faster, lighter, and their products don't explode. Not to mention their warranty makes sense, is beyond awesome, and doesn't charge you $300 for replacement parts.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
When did Apple ever market that? Only users, especially "fanboys", did. IMO the perfect screen size is the iPhone 5 except slightly wider but with an aspect ratio greater than that of the iPhone 4. But I'm fine with the iPhone 5 size and the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Apple marketed it as that with their "your thumb goes from here... To here. The screen goes from here... To here." TV ad. They implied any other size is downright retarded.

5" is completely flipping retarded. At that point it's so large that only people with the largest of hands can comfortably use it with one hand, while simultaneously it's so small that only people with the smallest of hands can comfortably use it with two hands. It's that perfect size where virtually no one actually can comfortably use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.