Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miksterman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Been coming across some Blu rays I'm ripping with MakeMKV that only has a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. What I'm trying to do is setup the movie with a audio track for the television speakers and another track for surround system. When I bring the MKV file into Handbrake and select the ATV 3 preset the audio settings automatically go to one audio track as a AAC (CoreAudio) Dolby Pro Logic II and a second audio track as AC3 Passthru. If I wanted one of the audio tracks to be a Dolby Digital 5.1 track would I change the AC3 Passthru to AC3 (ffmpeg) for it to be 5.1 surround sound or would I use a different setting?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
The AC3 Passthrough is the original audio from your rip. It should say Dolby Digital 5.1 to the left of AC3 Passthrough in the audio pane.

It's a drop down menu item.

miksterman

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
The first image is how the ATV 3 setting does the audio. The second is how I was thinking but not sure if is the correct way.

Attachments

• Image 1.png
    Image 1.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 4,869
  • Image 2.png
    Image 2.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 3,546

bucksaddle

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Just leave the settings as they are from the ATV3 preset and you will get what you are trying to achieve. AC3 passthru means pass through the 5.1 track unaltered (i.e. no conversion, downmixing, etc). Therefore your encoded file will have one AAC stereo track for your TV and one unaltered 5.1 track for surround sound.

If you choose your second option your converting the 5.1 track to another 5.1 track with ffmpeg - conversion always results in losing some information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.