Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
So we await the blizzard, touted to be of "historic proportions". Expecting two feet plus. Everything is shutting down.

Much hysteria abounds, with gnashing of teeth and rending of clothing.

Chez Shrink, the only concern is loss of power…the electrical kind (the other kind quit years ago). An email from my electric company informs that there will be widespread power outages, and no repair work can start until tomorrow sometime because they can't work while it is snowing. Predicting outages, where they occur, will last for days. If my power craps out, it could get chilly in here.

AND NO COFFEE!

This could turn tragic.

Stay tuned for updates…

Attachments

• BE AFRAID....png
    BE AFRAID....png
    297.3 KB · Views: 142

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
So we await the blizzard, touted to be of "historic proportions". Expecting two feet plus. Everything is shutting down.

Chez Shrink, the only concern is loss of power…the electrical kind (the other kind quit years ago). An email from my electric company informs that there will be widespread power outages, and no repair work can start until tomorrow sometime because they can't work while it is snowing. Predicting outages, where they occur, will last for days. If my power craps out, it could get chilly in here.

AND NO COFFEE!

This could turn tragic.

Stay tuned for updates…

Hopefully it won't be as bad as they are predicting....Good luck to all in the NE...Stay warm.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010

AND NO COFFEE!

This could turn tragic.

Stay tuned for updates…

But from the great storm of 1973, well at least you got to make a great movie about it.:D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Dear Shrink,
Chemex.

You're welcome. :D

Oh and what? You need hot water for that? Boil it over a fire. Yup. Like the cowboys do!

Alternatively, get in your car, bring your arsenal and I've got a spare room. You are required to make me good coffee though as payment for the warm place to stay and of course, my amazing company. You won't be sorry.

:D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In my town (next to boston), I'm surrounded by water and my family is home waiting for the storm to hit.

I have the benefit of working for a hospital so I'm remote today, that is they didn't close (thank goodness hospitals don't close) so I'm on the hook to work while my wife and kids relax and watch snowpocalypse arrive

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Dear Shrink,
Chemex.

You're welcome. :D

Oh and what? You need hot water for that? Boil it over a fire. Yup. Like the cowboys do!

Alternatively, get in your car, bring your arsenal and I've got a spare room. You are required to make me good coffee though as payment for the warm place to stay and of course, my amazing company. You won't be sorry.:D

I think I have a press somewhere in the house. Stove should be OK even if power goes out, gas still functions. I hadn't even thought of the press...thanks for the reminder.

Now, about bringing my espresso gesr and coming for a visit. I love the visit part, you make it sound quite appealing!!:eek::p Unfortunately, my espresso machine weighs a bit over 60 pounds...I'm too old and weak to shlep that sucker. Even my grinder wieghs in at 25 pounds...so we'll just have to think of some other way to amuse ourselves.:eek::eek:

In my town (next to boston), I'm surrounded by water and my family is home waiting for the storm to hit.

I have the benefit of working for a hospital so I'm remote today, that is they didn't close (thank goodness hospitals don't close) so I'm on the hook to work while my wife and kids relax and watch snowpocalypse arrive

I believe you're somewhere near me, so stay safe, Mate.

I hope you don't have too much business at your hospital (SS Hosp?).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I believe you're somewhere near me, so stay safe, Mate.

I hope you don't have too much business at your hospital (SS Hosp?).
I think it will be a quiet day - I maintain servers which is something I can do remotely a plus. A minus is no work cancelled.

I'm ready for the storm and its fun to see how excited the kids are over snow. I remember the blizzard of 78, thirty five years ago and as a teenager (yikes I'm old) how that was a blast to live through :)

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I think it will be a quiet day - I maintain servers which is something I can do remotely a plus. A minus is no work cancelled.

I'm ready for the storm and its fun to see how excited the kids are over snow. I remember the blizzard of 78, thirty five years ago and as a teenager (yikes I'm old) how that was a blast to live through :)

You're old!!??

I was at SS Hospital and like the moron that I am, I didn't leave until the snow was at about a foot, so I was on the roads during the Blizzard of '78. Took many hours, but I made it home. Not going out for ANYTHING this time. Folks mental health will just have to wait. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My mother was almost trapped on 128 during that storm - luckily she was able to get home. I was in Junior high and remember taking the 'T home and the bus struggling to make its way from Norwood to Dedham (where I grew up).

Shrink

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
My mother was almost trapped on 128 during that storm - luckily she was able to get home. I was in Junior high and remember taking the 'T home and the bus struggling to make its way from Norwood to Dedham (where I grew up).

I was with your Mom on 128! Lots of people had to abandon their cars right around the time I got home.

It was a very nasty business!

EDIT: Jessica, check out post 1350 on "Latest Purchases... thread. See what you're missing if I don't visit!!:p

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think I have a press somewhere in the house. Stove should be OK even if power goes out, gas still functions. I hadn't even thought of the press...thanks for the reminder.

Now, about bringing my espresso gesr and coming for a visit. I love the visit part, you make it sound quite appealing!!:eek::p Unfortunately, my espresso machine weighs a bit over 60 pounds...I'm too old and weak to shlep that sucker. Even my grinder wieghs in at 25 pounds

Get some of these:
MOVING_MEN_sliding_tools.jpg

...so we'll just have to think of some other way to amuse ourselves.:eek::eek:
ummm ummm :eek:

:p

WoodNUFC

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2009
A Library
I was at the store last night getting groceries (my wife and I have been too lazy to buy our normal amount of food the last two weeks) and people were acting like lunatics! It's like NY/NJ has never seen snow before.

As long as we have a way to boil water and coffee for our press, we'll be just fine. :cool:

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
yep, just ran out and got 10 gallons of gas for the generator, and filled the propane tank. We lose power at the drop of a hat, or snowflake.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It's like NY/NJ has never seen snow before.

Just had to comment on this. It always amazes me how the hardware stores sell out of shovels EVERY YEAR right before the first snowfall. Did nobody keep their shovel from last year? I've had the same shovel for 6 years.

I'm ready, my Subaru has a full tank of gas, that's all I need. I'm in the target zone for 10-14". My parents have a flight out of Albany at 9:30 tomorrow morning, maybe. They want me to stay the night with them so they can be sure I can get to the house to get them to the airport on time. Ulterior motive - I end up clearing the driveway, but I get a dinner out of it...

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The are predicting 2 feet plus.

Oh Cantore is in Boston, you are all doomed. DOOOMED!

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
First of all, let's get this out of the way for all the posts that will keep us updated on how many inches they get:

That's What She Said.

Second, are we turning into a bunch of ******* in this country or is it just a slow news day? We never cared about the snow this much when I was a kid. If it came, it came and you dealt with it. Now, its 24/7 news screaming don't leave your house for days!!!!

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
First of all, let's get this out of the way for all the posts that will keep us updated on how many inches they get:

That's What She Said.

Second, are we turning into a bunch of ******* in this country or is it just a slow news day? We never cared about the snow this much when I was a kid. If it came, it came and you dealt with it. Now, its 24/7 news screaming don't leave your house for days!!!!
You never lived in snow country, the media will get on the air and tell you to go to the store. It's not like this is our first snow storm but they do it every time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.