Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I have a ~ 30 min high def project 1080p that I need to export into normal DVD format because multiple people who want it don't have blu-ray.

I tried exporting from premiere pro to adobe encore and then making a DVD and burning it, but when I play the DVD it is horribly interlaced and jerky. There is a lot of fast motion action in this video (soccer) and it does not look smooth at all.

Playing it back in original source 1080p looks beautiful.

How can I get a quality DVD burned from this 1080p project in premiere pro?

thank you! This is a project for a school team and is volunteer.

dany74m

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles - California
I have a ~ 30 min high def project 1080p that I need to export into normal DVD format because multiple people who want it don't have blu-ray.

I tried exporting from premiere pro to adobe encore and then making a DVD and burning it, but when I play the DVD it is horribly interlaced and jerky. There is a lot of fast motion action in this video (soccer) and it does not look smooth at all.

Playing it back in original source 1080p looks beautiful.

How can I get a quality DVD burned from this 1080p project in premiere pro?

thank you! This is a project for a school team and is volunteer.

I have the same problem, this will interest me too.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Probably Interlacing issues or you had 23.976 footage and chose a 24p output format.
Or vice versa which I doubt.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
I fixed my problem by manually exporting from premiere pro using the mpeg2-DVD preset (with some tweaks). It seems the dynamic link to Encore does not work well with field order, at least in my experience.

By doing it manually and then importing into encore, I was able to create a DVD without any stuttering, and I agree with above, it was likely a field order issue, but premiere/encore should not have had an issue with it, it's a bug.

Creativecow forums were a real godsend in researching my solution, btw.

dany74m

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles - California
I fixed my problem by manually exporting from premiere pro using the mpeg2-DVD preset (with some tweaks). It seems the dynamic link to Encore does not work well with field order, at least in my experience.

By doing it manually and then importing into encore, I was able to create a DVD without any stuttering, and I agree with above, it was likely a field order issue, but premiere/encore should not have had an issue with it, it's a bug.

Creativecow forums were a real godsend in researching my solution, btw.

I didn't have any issues about interlacing, but the color was really washed out and off, any suggestions?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Check your settings in Encore for field settings.
Washed out colors, that could be codec related.
Also quality of compression.
Need more info on original footage and sequence settings as well as output steps.

dany74m

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles - California
Check your settings in Encore for field settings.
Washed out colors, that could be codec related.
Also quality of compression.
Need more info on original footage and sequence settings as well as output steps.

THank the original footage is from canon dslr 1080p. If I converto in encore, I also noticed that it keeping shifting of 1 pixel up and down, and the text are really aliased.

I tried to export from premiere MPEG-DVD and the shifting problem seems o be fixed. Even the colour looks better. It is possibile that encore cs6, made to make DVD, has this bug????

What is the best workflow?

Thank you

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
As I mentioned above, the export to encore from premiere seems to introduce some issues, even if all settings are correct. I found multiple people who confirmed this. It just doesn't work.

Export your file from premiere with the settings you wish and then use encore only to arrange it and menus etc, that is my advice and what worked for me.

It's annoying that Adobe charges SOOOO much for software that doesn't work correctly.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
As I mentioned above, the export to encore from premiere seems to introduce some issues, even if all settings are correct. I found multiple people who confirmed this. It just doesn't work.

Export your file from premiere with the settings you wish and then use encore only to arrange it and menus etc, that is my advice and what worked for me.

It's annoying that Adobe charges SOOOO much for software that doesn't work correctly.

you also have to realize that the computer monitor is a much higher resolution than the dvd. The scaling on the dvd player to make it full screen is not very good. You need to play it on a real dvd player and monitor to judge the quality....

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
There is a Gamma bug (an old one) from QT.
Ive never ran into since all my work is R3D based.
However, Ive seen it mentioned a million times on the web.
How about from the original footage to MPEG STREAMCLIP export ProRes.
Then use that to edit in any NLE.
Check the files of course for weirdness then edit and export from that.
Good luck.

----------

you also have to realize that the computer monitor is a much higher resolution than the dvd. The scaling on the dvd player to make it full screen is not very good. You need to play it on a real dvd player and monitor to judge the quality....

Yep dont rely on any computer display when it comes to old NTSC crap.
use the target system if you have to.

dany74m

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles - California
There is a Gamma bug (an old one) from QT.
Ive never ran into since all my work is R3D based.
However, Ive seen it mentioned a million times on the web.
How about from the original footage to MPEG STREAMCLIP export ProRes.
Then use that to edit in any NLE.
Check the files of course for weirdness then edit and export from that.
Good luck.

----------

Yep dont rely on any computer display when it comes to old NTSC crap.
use the target system if you have to.

Off course I Don't watch it upscaled on my monitor.

The dvd file is progressive, I simply played the hd versione, scaling the window to the size of the window of the dvd (1:1 size, not upscaled) and I can notice a big difference in the colors, and the quality ot the downscaling. I was expecting the same quality of an hd file downscaled, and not converted to dvd. Played on the TV, the colors looks like crap too.

Thanks for the help.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007

Umm, of course I was watching final product on an actual TV. This is an adobe bug, not that simple.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Umm, of course I was watching final product on an actual TV. This is an adobe bug, not that simple.

I've never ran into this bug....I use both the adobe suite and final cut studio and the only time i ever ran into a quality this is when I tried to up the bit rate on the encode....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.