Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Not sure if anyone has noticed this... but ever since Atv had been updated to 5.1 (iOS 6) there has been a latency issue which one wouldn't notice right off the bat, but if you go to iTunes and turn on the Multiple Speakers setting and have it playing on all of your speakers (computer, airplay speaker, Airport Express audio out, AppleTV) only the Atv will not be in synch with the other speakers. The computer and all of my other Airplay audio speakers are in perfect harmony but on my Atv there is about a .5 second delay. Also if you're streaming something from the web and Airplay mirroring it to the Atv the audio and video on the Atv will be out of sync from the Computer's display (I use a Mac Mini)

Just wanted to note that and see if anyone else has noticed this issue. But it is from before iOS 6 came out.

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
i stream in perfect sync to multiple devices
just tried to confirm using an :apple:TV3*, express with speakers, and a pair of standalone airplay speakers. all in sync.

*:apple:TV is updated with the brand new firmware.

also, the video is being converted, and then transmitted over the network. a small delay is to be expected, it's not just with web video, it's everything. Open a finder window, and close it, same delay.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Not sure if anyone has noticed this... but ever since Atv had been updated to 5.1 (iOS 6) there has been a latency issue which one wouldn't notice right off the bat, but if you go to iTunes and turn on the Multiple Speakers setting and have it playing on all of your speakers (computer, airplay speaker, Airport Express audio out, AppleTV) only the Atv will not be in synch with the other speakers. The computer and all of my other Airplay audio speakers are in perfect harmony but on my Atv there is about a .5 second delay. Also if you're streaming something from the web and Airplay mirroring it to the Atv the audio and video on the Atv will be out of sync from the Computer's display (I use a Mac Mini)

Just wanted to note that and see if anyone else has noticed this issue.

Since the ATV has no speakers, are you sure the delay isn't from whatever is playing back the audio? I am not sure I have an ATV in ear shot of any of my Airport Expresses so I can't speak and/or test any audio delay compared to other Airplay devices.

Edit: And yes of course there is a delay from what is playing on your mac mini to what is finally put up on your screen. I figure if I am using Airplay mirroring, I don't intend to be sitting in front of my mac to notice.

snowbaked

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
I'm getting a delay using airplay going from Apple TV to Sonos via an Airport Express (connected to the Sonos using an ethernet cable).

I'm not sure if this is expected or my set-up - probably expected. The delay is quite short, and much more if I connect the airport to sonos via my wi-fi network.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I'm getting a delay using airplay going from Apple TV to Sonos via an Airport Express (connected to the Sonos using an ethernet cable).

I'm not sure if this is expected or my set-up - probably expected. The delay is quite short, and much more if I connect the airport to sonos via my wi-fi network.

a delay in starting?
all audio airplay* has a delay in starting, there is a small buffer built in, it normally runs about 2 seconds behind.
in iTunes, and iOS devices, this delay is also applied to the interface, so that it all matches up.
(you can test this, play a song in iTunes on the computer speakers only and skip to the next track, now switch to airplay speakers and skip again, locally it's almost instant, remote there is a small pause)

the OP was referring to streaming to multiple speakers at the same time, and one of them being out of sync with the others.

*video airplay is handled a bit differently.

dfcster

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2009
Delay = Out of Sync

I have the same issues with multiple AirPlay devices, iMac, other iMac, MacMini, Airport Express all play in Sync; AppleTV latest Generation (with all updates) is out of Sync with all the other Airplay devices; not by much just a tiny fraction, but noticeable and it's very annoying! (Actually un-useable).

I hope Apple fix this; was a problem with my ATV2 and still a problem with the ATV3.

Last edited:

linds15

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
Great White North
I have the same issues with multiple AirPlay devices, iMac, other iMac, MacMini, Airport Express all play in Sync; AppleTV latest Generation (with all updates) is out of Sync with all the other Airplay devices; not by much just a tiny fraction, but noticeable and it's very annoying! (Actually un-useable).

I hope Apple fix this; was a problem with my ATV2 and still a problem with the ATV3.
try a restore and start from scratch? could help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.