Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
This makes perfect sense for Apple. They have two iPads so two iPhones is the next logical step. It keeps both camps happy, plus helps keeps profits margins healthy as Apple always make more money on their S versions due to manufacturing improvements and lower cost components. I certainly want a wider phone, certainly not much taller as I find that portrait mode is too squished up for my liking.

I think the big thing this year will be iOS 7, it HAS to be a big redesign as they are starting to get bad press even from the most loyal of friends.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Ew, 5" screen?? If they actually release this, which I doubt they will, I just hope they'll still have the 4" version. Why anyone wants 5" is beyond me, but it's only a personal preference.

Just same reason why people wants 4" iPhone 5 instead of 3.5" iPhone which had been around for 5 years until 4S :p

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
The iphone with a 5" screen is even lighter than the 5? That would be awesome. I would buy it.

Only if you wear clown pants or if you carry a man purse. And then there's the slight problem of your thumb not being able to reach all parts of the screen, forcing you into the dreaded two-handed use paradigm.

FAIL!

The only perfect size for a telephone is the 3.5 inch screen. Anything else is less then the best. Period.

----------

5" is fine. Right? Right? :eek: :p

Only for people with clown pants and freakishly long thumbs..

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
If they do a 5" phone I sure hope it doesn't have that stupid 16:9 aspect ratio. I still think the perfect phone size is between 4 to 4.5 inches with a 3:2 aspect ratio or whatever the old iPhone was.

The old iPhone had a 3.5 inch screen with a black-and-white-TV aspect ratio. It was proven by Apple to be the only goodest size possible.

sionharris

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2006
Apple is out of sorts.

iOS (which is now Apple's flagship product) should have been redesigned at least a year ago - there are so many missing features and elementary design flaws. Jony Ive better have something special in line for iOS 7.

As for bowing to consumer 'demand' for hardware options - how much demand actually is there? How many customers will switch to Apple because a new size of phone is available? I'll bet almost all of them would have bought a smaller iPhone anyway, so there's no need to dilute the product.

As a shareholder, I'm concerned. As a customer, I'm disappointed.

Last edited:

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Only if you wear clown pants or if you carry a man purse. And then there's the slight problem of your thumb not being able to reach all parts of the screen, forcing you into the dreaded two-handed use paradigm.

FAIL!

The only perfect size for a telephone is the 3.5 inch screen. Anything else is less then the best. Period.

----------

Only for people with clown pants and freakishly long thumbs..

Most people have 2 hands. Instead of worrying about what you can do one-handed, how about using both hands. And if you don't like using 2 hands why should you care that other people are comfortable using both hands?

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Well I am on contract so i will get mine in 2014 with a redesigned iPhone 7

Naw. iPhones are like Ferraris - the used ones are worth huge amounts of money no matter what. Sell it on Craig's list and then a new one will cost you only a very few dollars.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey

FAIL!

I feel sorry for you and your baby hands:D

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Have fun backpedaling on all the "this screen is the best size" marketing.

Why backpedal? "Best size" doesn't mean "only size". Just because Toyota's Camery is the best size for most people doesnt mean they shouldn't make a Venza. They foocused on the Camery back in the early '70s, then started providing more and more sizes over time, without backpedaling.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
[semi-sarcastically] Why not combine the iPad, iPhone & iPod lines and have 4 sizes: 3.5", 5.5", 7.5" and 9.7"? All sizes would have 3 models: Wi-Fi only, Wi-fi plus Data, and Wi-fi plus voice & data.

With all these people saying they want a bigger iPhone, or smaller iPad or keep the sizes the same, it gets a little annoying.

ktmusagi

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
With all of these size rumours...

...what about an iPhone mini?! Come on Apple, how about the 3GS with a reduction on the bezels top and bottom? Not everyone wants to go bigger:(

----------

Most people have 2 hands. Instead of worrying about what you can do one-handed, how about using both hands. And if you don't like using 2 hands why should you care that other people are comfortable using both hands?

Leads to the questions: Instead of worrying about what you can do two-handed, how about using one hand? Why should you care if some people are more comfortable using one hand? :)

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
If, then Apple will release a 4.85" iPhone, considered a 4.9" iPhone by Apple (just like the iPad mini is called 7.9" instead of its real size of 7.85").
The resolution will be 1024*768, like the one of the iPad 1 and 2 and mini, so Apps don't have to be adjusted, which will then, guess what, be a Pixel density of 264ppi - the same like the Retina iPads.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I still say that Apple making a 5" phone this year or even next year would be very worrying. The iPhone 5 was their chance to set the new resolution standard for the next several years. I don't mean that in the sense of having some ridiculous pixel density, I mean that in terms of telling developers "Hey, thanks for supporting 360x480 points for the last half decade. It's time to upgrade, but you won't have to rewrite your apps for another five years". For Apple to backpedal on the iPhone 5's screen resolution the very next year would show a tremendous lack of leadership and direction. To me, that would say: "We really don't know what we're doing anymore, and we're just trying to keep up with the competition", which is the exact opposite of what Apple should be.

I thought one of the rumors was that Apple would stick with the same resolution as the iPhone 5, so it wouldn't be backpedaling- there wouldn't be any required work for developers, only optimization if they wanted to (maybe to fit an additional button or something that wouldn't otherwise be hittable on a 4"). Now, they *would* be backpedaling on "retina" at this resolution but I don't think they would have a problem doing that, and in a couple of years might be able to double the PPI yet again, or perhaps use some kind of scaling that would work since the pixels would be so tiny at 400 ppi or whatever.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Why jailbreak ... Just buy the more advanced Galaxy 4 in march and have fun learning a whole new ecosystem. That's what I'm doing: if Apple can't provide the experience I want and others can, that's where I'll go!

The small matter of several hundreds of dollars. Jailbreak = free. I hear you though.

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Sure, I'd love a bigger iPhone screen..but I hope that this isn't true. I don't like when Apple follows what everyone else does just to keep up. Stop making the iPad and iPhone in every screen size imaginable and try adding some key features in iOS.

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
When did Apple ever market that? Only users, especially "fanboys", did. IMO the perfect screen size is the iPhone 5 except slightly wider but with an aspect ratio greater than that of the iPhone 4. But I'm fine with the iPhone 5 size and the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Not true. Apple actually ran a TV add that showed how the iPhone screen size was the perfect size for reaching corner to corner with the thumb.

That said, I don't really care what they have advertised in the past. I'd gobble up a 4.5"+ iPhone in a heartbeat. 2 in fact.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
5" and 6" yeah no....

I'm thinking yes perhaps they saw the, prototypes not final versions. And the reason for the two sizes is merely that Apple had a few of both sizes done to test them and see which size was best. Like a year ago.

And now we have someone not understanding what they were looking at/ told about

Paulio

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
It's very much a personal thing I guess, though I wouldn't call it stupid. I have my phone on me nearly 24 hours a day.. It is an extension of myself. I am not arguing that the UI isn't good or that iOS is bad... It's just stale. It has looked nearly exactly the same since 2007. I want themes, I want beautiful lock screens, maybe even a real widget. I don't know... I have jail broken on several occasions to achieve similar things, but the process is never as fluid as I'd like. I may wait to see how Ive changes iOS...I have always gotten an iPhone because I really believe it has been the best product out there.. I still believe that, but even the WOZ seems a little bored with it (see his latest comments on apple "falling behind")

I over reacted a little to your previous comment, my apologies. You raise very valid points here. Ultimately, iOS could use some sprucing up. Jailbreaking does offer this but it's not for the average user. If Apple adopts some of the simple cydia tweaks more rapidly than they have been, everyone wins. The last two major updates haven't added any breakthrough core functionality, which is what is missing from the iOS experience for veterans. Fresh and useful ideas. I hope we see a huge magnitude of this in iOS 7 through Ive, we will have to wait and see.
I've been using iOS since OS 2 so I haven't even been in the game as long as you. I wouldn't consider adopting Android as I've used them (not extensively admittedly) and I just couldn't put up with the inconsistencies throughout even the inbuilt applications. They also often seem to hang, though I'm sure that's becoming less of a problem now. Although iOS is looking very much the same as when it came out, that's truly a sign of good craftsmanship. And that's why I'll stick with them.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Have fun backpedaling on all the "this screen is the best size" marketing.
3.5" is the best for complete comfortable single-handed use. 4" is significantly less comfortable to use with a single hand. I've realized this after using iPhone 5 for a month.

But we have 2 hands, so now there's a max size that can fit in pocket and be comfortably used with 2 hands, and uncomfortably used by 1 hand (a little more uncomfortable than iPhone 5's 4" screen today).

----------

Btw, I laugh at this thread where people argue 5" is too big when I currently use an LTE iPad mini LTE iPad mini as my only phone replacement mobile device. :p

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Apple has been doomed since the time it started following market trends, not setting them, and even worse, following Samsung. Oblivion is all they deserve.

Regardless of what you own (or at least claim to), crying doom and stupidity over a baseless and likely false rumor is the height of trolling. Wait until Apple announces this before you call them morons, that way you don't look like the stupid one

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I'm all for options. A giant iPhone would be an excellent choice for people who want it. I'm probably fine with the smaller ones, but having bigger handsets wouldn't do Apple any harm. For some users a bigger screen could make usability much greater.

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Leads to the questions: Instead of worrying about what you can do two-handed, how about using one hand? Why should you care if some people are more comfortable using one hand? :)

I don't care what people do with one hand. :)
If people don't like using 2 hands, chop one off. It's an unused appendage leaching valuable nutrients.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.