Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:17 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Adobe Releases Flash Player Update to Patch Security Holes as Apple Blocks Earlier Versions

As noted by Ars Technica, Adobe late yesterday issued a security bulletin announcing that it was releasing updates to Flash Player in order to address a pair of security vulnerabilities targeting Mac and Windows users.
Quote:
Adobe is also aware of reports that CVE-2013-0634 is being exploited in the wild in attacks delivered via malicious Flash (SWF) content hosted on websites that target Flash Player in Firefox or Safari on the Macintosh platform, as well as attacks designed to trick Windows users into opening a Microsoft Word document delivered as an email attachment which contains malicious Flash (SWF) content.
Users can manually download the new 11.5.502.149 version of Flash Player from Adobe's site, or those who have specified that Adobe may update Flash Player automatically may simply allow it to do so.

In response to the issue, Apple has updated its Xprotect anti-malware system to enforce new minimum version requirements blocking all previous versions of Flash Player. Apple has used the system several times over the past month to block vulnerable versions of Java.

Apple has also posted a new support document addressing the issue and explaining to users how to update Flash Player when they discover that the plug-in has been blocked.

Article Link: Adobe Releases Flash Player Update to Patch Security Holes as Apple Blocks Earlier Versions
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:22 AM   #2
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

How long before the next "vulnerability" and apple shuts this one down?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Squilly
macrumors 68020

What is with all the exploits lately.... Get it right people!
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

Flash, Flash, why do you crash?
JaySoul is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:25 AM   #5
autrefois
macrumors 65816

Apple needs to stop blocking software. If they want to display a warning, fine. But for people who rely on their computers to do actual work, it isn't acceptable for them to keep disabling software that many people use and need on a daily basis. Inform people of the vulnerability and give them the option of disabling it.
autrefois is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Ricanlegend
macrumors 6502a

Does anybody use flash anymore ? I been blocking flash for 4 years
Ricanlegend is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:27 AM   #7
Saladinos
macrumors 68000

This is why Apple have been fighting for a plugin-free web.

It's certainly cost them sales (not having flash and to a lesser extent Java on iOS devices, for example), but it's worth it. I'm glad they didn't take the easy road.
Saladinos is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:28 AM   #8
TheNextBigThing
macrumors member

Tried to open the download link.
"Your Google Chrome browser already includes Adobe® Flash® Player built-in. Google Chrome will automatically update when new versions of Flash Player are available."
TheNextBigThing is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:28 AM   #9
ProudLoz
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by autrefois View Post
Apple needs to stop blocking software. If they want to display a warning, fine. But for people who rely on their computers to do actual work, it isn't acceptable for them to keep disabling software that many people use and need on a daily basis just because there's a vulnerability out there.
This. Although I wasn't working, I did find it annoying that a lot of the websites I visited that needed the adobe plug-in where completely useless because of this block.
ProudLoz is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:29 AM   #10
fullauto
macrumors 6502a

Urgh get rid of it already.
fullauto is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:31 AM   #11
xionxiox
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudLoz View Post
This. Although I wasn't working, I did find it annoying that a lot of the websites I visited that needed the adobe plug-in where completely useless because of this block.
This seems to be the only way things have been getting fixed tho...
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:32 AM   #12
Macrolido
macrumors regular

Flash is the cáncer of OS X.
Macrolido is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:35 AM   #13
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

I never hear any problems with Microsoft Silverlight. Is it extremely secure or just nobody uses it or cares?
BornAgainMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:36 AM   #14
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Total Poetry Time®

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Flash, Flash, why do you crash?
My poor keyboard, you make me smash.
AngerDanger is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:36 AM   #15
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanlegend View Post
Does anybody use flash anymore ? I been blocking flash for 4 years
Then you are not a gamer. Most game sites are still being developed in Flash.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:38 AM   #16
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNextBigThing View Post
Tried to open the download link.
"Your Google Chrome browser already includes Adobe® Flash® Player built-in. Google Chrome will automatically update when new versions of Flash Player are available."
Yeah, all versions of Chrome come with an internalized Flash instance separate from the OS. So, for someone like autrefois who wants to run an insecure plugin, they can just use Chrome.

Funny how the devs do this for Flash, but continue to take a stand against a real standard like H.264.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autrefois View Post
Apple needs to stop blocking software.
No, people need to stop making users "do actual work" using poor platform choices and insecure software. Flash and Java's times are over. I'm glad Apple is doing this, because it highlights the fact that these plugins need to go.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:38 AM   #17
SOLLERBOY
macrumors 6502a

Great, go through the process and it's still blocked. It just re installed the same version I had.
SOLLERBOY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:41 AM   #18
autrefois
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudLoz View Post
Yes, I completely agree it is annoying (and in my opinion unacceptable) in general, whether it's for work or not.

I mentioned work because I happened to be trying to access something for work at the time, and I was anticipating that people would say (and I see it's already started) things like: who needs Flash, haven't used Flash in ages, let's destroy Flash once and for all, etc.

Yes, this time there is a fix available right away (which was not the case with Java recently). And no, I don't like Flash. But sometimes, there isn't another option right now.

Why should we have to guess what software Apple is or isn't going to decide to block every day? It is the consumer's responsibility to make sure their computer is safe. Popping up a warning before running it would be more than sufficient.

Last edited by autrefois; Feb 8, 2013 at 08:47 AM.
autrefois is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:42 AM   #19
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Flash & Java are usually replaceable with HTML 5 + Javascript. The only time I can think of Java being more convenient is for the more direct hardware access, but this is precisely why it's so dangerous!

I'm pretty sure we could do away with these technologies and still have a web functioning pretty much like today, only with less crashes, less resource requirements, and better mobile platform support.

Flash isn't supported by iOS, Android since 4.1, or Windows Phone 8. It's ridiculous that web designers still use the technology.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:43 AM   #20
Skika
macrumors 68020

What is this flash you speak off?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:44 AM   #21
bananas
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Users can manually download the new 11.5.502.146 version of Flash Player from Adobe's site, or those who have specified that Adobe may update Flash Player automatically may simply allow it to do so.
The current version is actually 11.5.502.149
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:44 AM   #22
pmhparis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
I never hear any problems with Microsoft Silverlight. Is it extremely secure or just nobody uses it or cares?
it has it's own problems but the fact that few people have it installed has made it a less visible target. Ask yourself this: Do you really need Silverlight? The answer is extremely rarely yes so why augment the ways you can be remotely hacked.
pmhparis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:45 AM   #23
MyNameIsDave
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLLERBOY View Post
Great, go through the process and it's still blocked. It just re installed the same version I had.
You need to restart your browser after the install. It doesn't tell you to do this, but it looks as though the update has failed if you don't when it has in fact worked.
MyNameIsDave is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:48 AM   #24
pmhparis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
What is this flash you speak off?
It comes with Chrome for the thankfully few instances where I actually need to use it...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
Then you are not a gamer. Most game sites are still being developed in Flash.
So, then your postulate is that Gamers do not mind getting hacked in drive by attacks on flash?
pmhparis is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:49 AM   #25
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Apple can go ahead and keep blocking Flash.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion