Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:50 AM   #26
Ricanlegend
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaissie View Post
Then you are not a gamer. Most game sites are still being developed in Flash.
when you mean game sites do you mean Farmville ? LoL I only game on my xbox 360 I tried gaming on keyboards very weird especially when trying to play sports game
Ricanlegend is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:51 AM   #27
SOLLERBOY
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsDave View Post
You need to restart your browser after the install. It doesn't tell you to do this, but it looks as though the update has failed if you don't when it has in fact worked.
Thanks!
SOLLERBOY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:51 AM   #28
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac View Post
I never hear any problems with Microsoft Silverlight. Is it extremely secure or just nobody uses it or cares?
Security hasn't been a big issue. It has had problems where certain versions didn't work properly, although the last year or so have been ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmhparis View Post
it has it's own problems but the fact that few people have it installed has made it a less visible target. Ask yourself this: Do you really need Silverlight? The answer is extremely rarely yes so why augment the ways you can be remotely hacked.
It runs Netflix on a computer. So, anyone running Netflix uses it. I've not heard of it being used anywhere else. I'm sure MS has some pages with demos or something.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:51 AM   #29
pmhparis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudLoz View Post
This. Although I wasn't working, I did find it annoying that a lot of the websites I visited that needed the adobe plug-in where completely useless because of this block.
If it is so necessary to you, why were you unable to discover that Chrome includes it's own version of flash? Is your google-foo that poor?
pmhparis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:53 AM   #30
arkmannj
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
I'm not where I can test this right now. But I'm assuming the block only affects Safari, and local Flash projects, right?
If that's the case then that would mean Chrome would still work fine, right?
(since Flash is sort of baked into Chrome)
arkmannj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:53 AM   #31
slu
macrumors 68000

Any exploits in the wild for this, or is this just a security "hole" that is being closed? Basically, does anyone need to worried that they have been compromised?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:55 AM   #32
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northgrove View Post
Flash isn't supported by iOS, Android since 4.1, or Windows Phone 8. It's ridiculous that web designers still use the technology.
Not only that but it's ridiculous that a website would still require Flash or Java to function properly. A proper website should still be readable and navigable with javascript disabled.
Yvan256 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:57 AM   #33
cntwtfrmynwmbp
macrumors member

The last Google Chrome version is 24.0.1312.57 which was released in late January.

So does this mean that the Flash plugin in Chrome is vulnerable until they release an update?

Edit: Flash version is 11.5.31.139 listed under plug-ins in Chrome.
cntwtfrmynwmbp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:58 AM   #34
RedGeminiPA
Banned

Send a message via AIM to RedGeminiPA Send a message via Yahoo to RedGeminiPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananas View Post
The current version is actually 11.5.502.149
That's what mine is reporting as well. I didn't even realize it updated, since I have it set to automatically update.
RedGeminiPA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:58 AM   #35
MacMan988
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrolido View Post
Flash is the cáncer of OS X.
and java
MacMan988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:00 AM   #36
John.B
macrumors 68040

FYI, I always dig the .pkg file out of the installer and just run that. YMMV.

Last edited by John.B; Feb 8, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
John.B is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:00 AM   #37
cheesyappleuser
macrumors 6502

I think you (Mac users) should be thankful for Apple giving a **** and blocking these things.
Even that it is important, some users could be affected (I don't really know, but I believe Apple knows that better than any of us), so they block the whole thing to protect the customer who doesn't go to forums. That's cool.
cheesyappleuser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:01 AM   #38
ProudLoz
macrumors regular

Quote:
If it is so necessary to you, why were you unable to discover that Chrome includes it's own version of flash? Is your google-foo that poor?
I find Safari to be better built for gesture based browsing since I use a trackpad. While Chrome does have some of those gesture, they're pretty clunky sometimes. I do prefer Chrome when I'm using my Windows PC at home or work.
ProudLoz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:02 AM   #39
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
It runs Netflix on a computer. So, anyone running Netflix uses it. I've not heard of it being used anywhere else. I'm sure MS has some pages with demos or something.
Anyone using Netflix on Mac or Windows needs Silverlight. There's no Silverlight on TV, iOS devices, Nintendo devices, Android devices, etc.
Yvan256 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:03 AM   #40
pmhparis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
I don't live in the US so no netflix... I do know a few devs that were sucked into the Silverlight tarbaby & are now attempting to extricate themselves but around here it's rare that people need it.
pmhparis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:04 AM   #41
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Funny how the devs do this for Flash, but continue to take a stand against a real standard like H.264.
Even funnier that they also seem to have no problem with MP3s, even though that was the original patent encumbered "standard".
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:14 AM   #42
pmhparis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.B View Post
Even funnier that they also seem to have no problem with MP3s, even though that was the original patent encumbered "standard".
Euh, no. Try GIFs
pmhparis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:14 AM   #43
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricanlegend View Post
when you mean game sites do you mean Farmville ? LoL I only game on my xbox 360 I tried gaming on keyboards very weird especially when trying to play sports game
No, I mean sites like God of War, Any EA and Diablo.
I'm a hard core gamer. I wish they would stop using Flash but it's not happening. I use my ipad 99.9% of the time but get frustrated because I want to visit those sites. Farmville is not a game. And I hate sports.
I didn’t mean playing games. I meant going to the console games websites.
Sorry I didn't say that clearly.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:16 AM   #44
pmhparis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
Anyone using Netflix on Mac or Windows needs Silverlight. There's no Silverlight on TV, iOS devices, Nintendo devices, Android devices, etc.
Sounds like a poor choice by Netflix then...
pmhparis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:17 AM   #45
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by autrefois View Post
Apple needs to stop blocking software. If they want to display a warning, fine. But for people who rely on their computers to do actual work, it isn't acceptable for them to keep disabling software that many people use and need on a daily basis. Inform people of the vulnerability and give them the option of disabling it.
This is already better than the JAVA incident. At least they tell you now.

Guaranteed if we check the EULA, they can do this as we do not own the OS, just license it.

Not a big deal for many users, who won't even know about this issue.

If you need flash you can use Firefox or Chrome.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:20 AM   #46
oliversl
macrumors 6502a

Flash and Java are in a update frenzy for many months now.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:20 AM   #47
nilka
macrumors member

I cant really say I enjoy Apple blocking all these plugins. I am not sure I agree with it at all, what I however have noticed is that the people behind the plugin work a heck of a lot faster fixing the problem whenever Apple blocks their plugins.
Before apple started this it could go more than a month until they fixed it, now they often have an update the day after or even within hours.

Again I dont like Apple blocking this stuff but it is facinating how muc quicker these plugin companys can fix the issues when under pressure.
nilka is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:21 AM   #48
John.B
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Euh, no. Try GIFs
Good point, though that patent has now expired.

Regardless, why all the wailing and gnashing of teeth over H.264 when they turn right around and embrace Flash and MP3? Seems self serving, if not outright hypocritical.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:22 AM   #49
pmhparis
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudLoz View Post
I find Safari to be better built for gesture based browsing since I use a trackpad. While Chrome does have some of those gesture, they're pretty clunky sometimes. I do prefer Chrome when I'm using my Windows PC at home or work.
Then instead of complaining when Apple blocks vulnerable versions of flash from Safari, I suggest that you update your flash or switch to Chrome/Mac so that this is not an issue. Those of us who are more concerned with being safe than sorry are thankful the Apple has become this proactive and reserve Chrome/Mac for the cases where flash is unavoidable.
pmhparis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:27 AM   #50
teknishn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananas View Post
The current version is actually 11.5.502.149
Yea, thats what I am showing on my system as well. Been running it for some time as far as I can tell.
teknishn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion