Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003

Jetsons8.png

Tim Cook said Jetsons :)

devinci99

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
I am soo tempted to get one of these.

But as much as I want to, when I look at my current watch, I don't think I can go with out.

My Casio Wave Ceptor as an Atomic clock receiver and is solar powered to a rechargeable battery. Without sunlight, it still runs for days.

With roomlight, takes about 4-5 hours to charge, and with sunlight takes about 1 hour'ish.

Its very convenient! Never have to worry about charging, batteries, or resetting the time ever (until the rechargeable battery dies out completely or I do something stupid and break it).

Oh I so wish the Pebble (or future smart watches) was at least solar-powered at the very least. Maybe with as devices because much more power-efficient, give it a atomic clock receiver too.

When it evolves to a point where these 2 can be added, I can part with my current watch.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
i can only hope Bruze Tognazzini doesn't ever work for a bank....lose your watch and have your entire identity stolen!

Try reading the whole article by Tog...
"Apple must ensure, however, that, if you remove the watch, you must reestablish authenticity. (Reauthorizing would be an excellent place for biometrics.) Otherwise, we’ll have a spate of violent “watchjackings” replacing the non-violent iPhone-grabs going on today."

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
What about the one BIG problem...I don't (and I know many others) want to wear a watch. Ever. I don't want a watch tan, and I don't want that dorky thing strapped to my wrist.

An iWatch is about 10 years too late! I don't know anyone who wears watches anymore because of the fact that they have cell phones! :confused:

I'm going to take a wild guess that you're likely under 20 or not much over. Newsflash: People have worn wrist watches for over a hundred years. Until recently, nearly every adult wore one. It's only been in the last 5 years or so that it has gotten less popular, yet many people still wear them despite also carrying a smart phone.

Is the smartphone going to kill the watch? The opposite may be true. My prediction is that if Apple or anybody releases a compelling wrist worn computer, people will stop carrying phones in their pockets.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Try reading the whole article by Tog...
"Apple must ensure, however, that, if you remove the watch, you must reestablish authenticity. (Reauthorizing would be an excellent place for biometrics.) Otherwise, we’ll have a spate of violent “watchjackings” replacing the non-violent iPhone-grabs going on today."

yeah , because people are going to remember to log their watch off and on :rolleyes:

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Watches are pretty much 100% for fashion nowadays.
That doesn't make the idea a bad one. Fashions come and go, and if Apple (or anyone) were to be able to make a really stunning piece of wristwear that became a 'must-have', this idea could have legs.
But the key is that it has to be orders of magnitude better looking than ANY of the watch ideas I've yet seen floated. They all look like ass.

must be more expensive then a rolex LOL

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Watches are primarily a fashion item. Think of the watches that you see people wearing and think about if they are trying to make a brand statement or look attractive with that watch. Even the folks who say no way and point to their cheap retro Casio on their wrist should recognize they are really making a fashion choice. So thinking you are going to manufacture one design (with some nice functions but still fairly limited) and 10s of millions of folks will all wear it seems off base to me.

jbimler

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
I'd buy one. Imagine if they stuck a light sensor in the bottom to record your heart rate 24 hours a day.

Personally I've been waiting for an all in one fitness band but everything on the market is either in it's infancy or doesn't have all the features I want.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I, as the only remaining person on Earth who wears a watch, will explain that I do so because it is more convenient to glance at my wrist for the time than take my cell phone out of whatever pocket in which it is stored and push the home button to see the time.
Haven't wore one for about 7 years now. The time is displayed everywhere you go these days. (laptops, car dash, etc.). Plus, if you use your smartphone for other things besides a call you just can't help but know what time it is.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
"...........using pressure data from millions of watches, Apple could build a precision altitude map of the world. This map would indicate true altitudes everywhere that iWatch wearers travel. The granularity would be several orders of magnitude......."

What is granularity and how is it measured in orders of magnitude?

Sorry, this is enough to scare the c*** out of me. I don't want to sound defeatist, but thank God I'm in my mid 50's and hopefully wont be around (ie: I'll be dead!) when every single person on the planet will be trackable/contactable/accountable...

Why don't we all iOFF, get a life and appreciate the things that are important like gorgeous sunsets, bird song - anything but this junk...

iPis**d

How dramatic... You can just turn it off, or don't buy it. No one is ever forcing you to do anything. You're not that special that the companies wouldn't function without your tiny, tiny amount of data.

Also, enjoy your sunsets. I do everyday and take photos occasionally on my iPhone. Too bad you enjoy life and have gadgets... That would be too difficult.

henryhbk

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
"...........using pressure data from millions of watches, Apple could build a precision altitude map of the world. This map would indicate true altitudes everywhere that iWatch wearers travel. The granularity would be several orders of magnitude......."

What is granularity and how is it measured in orders of magnitude?
iPis**d

Using pressure is actually horribly inaccurate. The air pressure for the day greatly affects your reading (any pilot knows this as they get the "correction" factor when they get their pre-takeoff info so they can adjust the altimeter). GPS is soooo much more accurate (Like <1m in best cases). Here is a PDF from the US Govt GPS guys that shows accuracy and how it has improved. Since the device already has a GPS in it, no reason to use altimeter data.

It's pretty unbelievable how narrow minded many of the people are on this forum....

I had zero desire for a smartphone before the iPhone was announced. I loved my little small flip phone and it did everything I could ever want in a phone. The second I saw an iPhone I new I NEEDED one immediately. I see this same possibility with the iWatch.

Sure, you say most people don't wear watches? That may be true (although I think there are a lot more watch wearers than you realize), but that's simply because most watches only serve one function... to tell time, and we all get that on our phones.

But the possibilities are endless with an iWatch, assuming it's implemented correctly (and with proper security). Wirelessly charged as you sleep each night. Warns you when you walk away from your phone. Can ask "where's my phone?" and it makes your phone start beeping. NFC payments. Notifcations. Siri communication (seems especially useful with reminders). Fitness apps/health monitoring. Apps that record precise sleep monitoring to wake you up at the right time. and so much more!

But no just because YOU don't wear a watch anymore, there is no reason you (or anyone else) would ever want to wear one again... :rolleyes:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Apple will never make a watch. It's not light or thin.

It will be an iRing which will connect to your iShoes (monitors your weight, exercise rates etc, your iEar (implant for 'Bluetooth' sound), iMouth (you thought that was just a lip piercing for fashion, silly people) and iEyes (contact displays).

All light and thin and magical.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
What about the one BIG problem...I don't (and I know many others) want to wear a watch. Ever. I don't want a watch tan, and I don't want that dorky thing strapped to my wrist.

The "problem" it's supposed to solve is that I don't want to take the phone out of my pocket? Why have the phone then? I think it sounds silly.
Easy solution . If it ain't your style, dont buy it. Every product put out on the planet is not made explictly for you

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Tognazzini believes that via apps and design, Apple would revolutionize the smart watch industry, with its curved glass designs created by Jony Ive, Siri integration, and wireless charging.[/url]

The smart watch industry? The one that doesn't even exist yet?

It sounds like a good idea, but let's just wait until the Pebble ships so we can actually see what a smart watch is, what works and what doesn't.

henryhbk

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2002
Boston
Watches are primarily a fashion item. Think of the watches that you see people wearing and think about if they are trying to make a brand statement or look attractive with that watch.

Well, as a physician I use my watch endlessly throughout the day for work. I need to A) know the time as it's important to schedule all sorts of things and B) taking pulses and other measurements that need a group of seconds.

Before you attack me for being a luddite I use my iPhone and iPad through the day while caring for patients (I'm actually one of the docs in the "year in the life of iPad" apple movie [at 2:45-] using the iPad with the CT scan on the screen with the female patient), but whipping out your iPhone every time you want to do something time related is a pain in the butt! I can simply glance at my wrist (and a second sweep hand is much more useful for timing something than a stopwatch while glancing).

jasondeno

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Chicago
Dumb

This is really dumb. An NFC in ANOTHER device we have to carry? Why not put the NFC and the pressure sensors in the phone I already carry? What happens when a pick pocket steals my watch?

I dunno. No compelling reason other than starting with a lower case "i" to compel me to want this thing at this point..

madman365

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Did any of you actually read the article...

The ideas he was pitching behind the watch is that you WON'T lose your identity if you lose it, unlike if you lost your phone. Also, this is the first time I thought that the IWatch was something I would want. Unlocking my computer and iDevices as well as carrying the NFC chip that WON'T be in my phone...brilliant. The NFC only works when it is in proximity to your phone since the watch won't have any data stored on it.

Also, I like looing at my wrist for the time instesad of digging in to my pockets to get my phone.

I don't know, maybe I read it wrong, but I felt like this artcle actually made me want one for the first time.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I want so badly to like this idea, but the dork factor is insurmountable. It should be left to third party developers. Hopefully Ives can talk Tim out of it (wild guess).

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Haven't wore one for about 7 years now. The time is displayed everywhere you go these days. (laptops, car dash, etc.). Plus, if you use your smartphone for other things besides a call you just can't help but know what time it is.

First, it's great you haven't wore one for 7 years.

It was not my intent to suggest that anyone should wear a watch, or not wear a watch.

I was only commenting on the fact there are still a few of us luddites who still wear a watch.

I hesitate to mention to those who consider unpressed khakis as "dressing up" that there is some style to wearing a watch, granting that it marks you as hopelessly old fashioned and out of it. And wearing a suit and tie in the appropriate circumstances...well...:p;)

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.