Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
At first I thought my new Quadro 4000 For Mac made the computer freeze when I tryed to enter BootCamp (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1535810/). But I was wrong. The real problem is that BootCamp freeze when I have 2 Graphic Cards installed at the same time (in my case it's the Quadro 4000 For Mac and the GeForce GT 120).

I red a couple of topics about it but non of those seems to solve the problem: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1178714/ (Most topics are about using dual Quadro 4000 for Mac, in my case, it's using 2 graphic Cards, as listed before).

I actually booted in BootCamp with the Quadro 4000 For Mac and installed the most recent drivers on the Windows 7 side, then everything worked perfectly. I thought everything will works, so I reinstalled the GeForce GT 120, and tried to boot on the Windows side, but it freezed at the moment I pressed the Enter buton to enter in Windows. On the Mac side, everything works smooth with both graphic cards, it's only when trying to enter in the Windows side that it freeze.

Anyone have an idea of what's the problem here?

Btw here's some specs: Mac 4.1 - OS X 10.6.8 - Windows 7 - BootCamp 3.3 - Lastest Quadro drivers installed on the Mac and Windows side + CUDA drivers installed on the Mac side.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Gotta be driver incompatibility of some sort between the 4000 and 120.

Take the 4000 out and leave just the 120 in. Then, boot into Windows and make sure that you have the absolute latest drivers for it installed. If you find that you don't, then update them, and then put the 4000 back in and see what happens.

After that, I'm fresh out for now!

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
Gotta be driver incompatibility of some sort between the 4000 and 120.

Take the 4000 out and leave just the 120 in. Then, boot into Windows and make sure that you have the absolute latest drivers for it installed. If you find that you don't, then update them, and then put the 4000 back in and see what happens.

After that, I'm fresh out for now!

Clever idea, I actually downloaded the 120 drivers and installed it. I still freeze when I boot on the Windows Side with the 2 cards installed.

Any other idea of why it cause that freeze?

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Nope. I'll check the release notes for the drivers for those 2 cards and see if anything pops out at me.

The 120 may just be too old, and might not be supported in Windows with a system that has a 4000. (that's one possible explanation.) If so, you may need to upgrade that card to something newer like a 520. However, I'd be a bit surprised if that were the case, since they both work in OS X.

Yeah, I don't see anything in the Release Notes that would explain your issue. Bah Windows!

I'm not going to be much more help on this, I'm afraid. Throwing my hands up and saying "Reinstall Windows???" at this point. Best I can do at this point. Sorry :(

Last edited:

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
Nope. I'll check the release notes for the drivers for those 2 cards and see if anything pops out at me.

The 120 may just be too old, and might not be supported in Windows with a system that has a 4000. (that's one possible explanation.) If so, you may need to upgrade that card to something newer like a 520. However, I'd be a bit surprised if that were the case, since they both work in OS X.

Alright, let me know if you see something weird. Otherwise, I'll check with Nvidia if they may know more about it. Though, it's odd that it works flawless in OS X.

Evantron3000

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
I'm having the same issue with two Quadro 4000s installed. When I option boot, just selecting the windows partition locks the computer up. The terrible thing is, it does the exact same thing when trying to boot to my windows install media. So, I actually can't even INSTALL windows unless I only have one card installed.

anyone ever figure out a workaround for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.