|Feb 8, 2013, 11:00 PM||#1|
4G iPad Mini + dumbphone >>>>> PC + iPhone?
So today I got to thinking about three ideas:
1) I would rather have a iPad mini + Logitech Ultrathin Mini BT Keyboard over a PC. Straight up. Even if it was just a wifi model. The iPad with a Logitech Ultrathin Mini is already better for me but when you add a 4G + GPS upgrade option to this tablet computer, it just widens the gap further.
Here is a video of the Logitech BT Keyboard in action:
Now before the haters even try to say anything I don't need ANY x86 programs (the main drawback of having a tablet computer), so the iPad mini + BT keyboard has a few huge benefits for me over a PC:
- Super SUPER portable (the main benefit towards going with this route over a PC or Bigger iPad)
- Battery life (another huge benefit for a college student such as myself)
- 4G LTE option you can have built in
- Can function as a GPS (the 4G model that is)
- Much quicker to whip out and use on the go than a PC, and much nicer screen to look at than a smartphone.
Now obviously I already know the iPad mini doesn't fit in a regular jeans pocket the way an iPhone does, but is it really that big a deal to carry around a small backpack or satchel with me like I do already with my almost 5 year old netbook?
2) If I have a super portable 4G iPad Mini that I can always take with me... do I even need a smartphone anymore? Why not just go with a dumbphone to talk / text and then if I need internet / GPS then whip out the iPad mini in a couple of seconds from my satchel and use that instead?
The 7.9 inch iPad mini screen is much nicer to browse the web with than using an eye straining 3.5 inch iPhone screen to browse the web.
3)If I end up going this route (of getting an 4G iPad mini + Logitech Ultrathin Mini + dumbphone and can put up with carrying a small satchel) it seems like I would be saving a good deal of money as well!
Right now I'm not on contract but I pay $40 a month for voice & $30 a month data on my iPhone through ATT (I don't trust straight talk). That doesn't include any sort of tethering option for my computer. If I want internet on my computer while I'm on the go then I need to upgrade to ATT's $45/mo data plan. $85/mo for only voice + data is sucky
Now if I had a Verizon 4G LTE iPad mini I would get the contract free $20/mo data plan for 1GB of data (I don't stream music or videos so 1GB is more than enough).
So either $20 per month for data anywhere I go on a better viewing experience vs $45 per month for data anywhere with my smartphone tethering to my PC. Multiplied out through a 2 year contract I would be saving roughly $600!
Then, since I don't talk more than 1200 minutes per month, I could go with a dumbphone on Page Plus cellular for their $30/mo : 1200 min + unlimited texts. So now I'm paying $30/month for voice + texts instead of $40 per month for only voice. Over a 2 year period that's at least an extra $240 saved!
Not to mention the the hardware costs you are saving:
$200 w/ 2 yr contract - iPhone
$700 or more - Slim ultrabook
$460 - 4G iPad Mini
$80 - Logitech BT keyboard
$20 - Verizon feature phone
Is there anyone else that is thinking about going this route? Or any constructive tips you could give me?
For the haters: This is just an idea for ME, ONLY ME, or perhaps those who have similar needs as me. If this idea doesn't work for you that's fine, but don't just crap on the idea since it might work for myself or others. I don't care if you need photoshop, utorrent, VLC player, etc. I dont
Last edited by waa1futs; Feb 11, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|iPad: Already have MBA + iPhone... so why I am so drawn to LTE iPad Air + Dumbphone combo?||easy-peasy||iPad||11||Apr 27, 2014 08:35 AM|
|iPT5 + dumbphone??||chaoz28||iPod touch||4||Nov 19, 2012 02:52 AM|
|Dumbphone to Smartphone.||aznboi91||iPhone||8||Oct 29, 2012 01:02 AM|
|iPhone: T-mobile dumbphone sim in iphone with NO data?||Yoshi Yogurt||Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks||11||Sep 30, 2012 03:58 AM|
|Sell iPhone 4S, use "Dumbphone" in the meantime AT&T||tgi||iPhone||8||Aug 30, 2012 12:19 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.