Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Feb 2, 2013, 07:16 AM   #1
cardinal724
macrumors newbie

Open Asset Import Library

Hey guys,

Has anyone here ever used the Open Asset Import library (Assimp) in order to import 3D models into XCode?

I've having a very difficult time figuring out how to build the library and then link it with my existing XCode project.

The website for Assimp says to use the program CMake and offers this graphic as an instruction: ( http://assimp.sourceforge.net/lib_html/cmake_build.html )
but it's vague (at least to me) and can't get it to work right.

So if you've downloaded Assimp, if you would be able to give me a clear step-by-step set of instructions of exactly what it is I need to do, that would really be doing me a *huge* favor.
cardinal724 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:03 PM   #2
Madd the Sane
macrumors 6502

What do you mean "import 3D models into Xcode"? Do you want to add assets to a specific app, or make it so that the app can use the asset library?

As for making the library on OS X, cmake might be slightly better than configure. I think the cmake system can make an OS X framework that can be imported into the Xcode build process.
Madd the Sane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Starfox
macrumors regular

I use it on a daily basis for work, here's my version with an Xcode project that you can directly use: https://bitbucket.org/sherief/open-asset-import
Starfox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:28 PM   #4
cardinal724
macrumors newbie

I merely meant to say that I plan on using the Assimp library to import 3DS or .obj files into my current xcode project.

At Starfox: Thank you for your link! I've downloaded the files but just have one more quick question. In order to integrate this with my existing XCode project can I simply copy the code files in the folder 'code' into my project or is there something else I have to do as well?

Last edited by cardinal724; Feb 3, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Starfox
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal724 View Post
I merely meant to say that I plan on using the Assimp library to import 3DS or .obj files into my current xcode project.

At Starfox: Thank you for your link! I've downloaded the files but just have one more quick question. In order to integrate this with my existing XCode project can I simply copy the code files in the folder 'code' into my project or is there something else I have to do as well?
Build the library via Xcode and it'll give you a .a file that you can link with your main project.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:27 PM   #6
cardinal724
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfox View Post
Build the library via Xcode and it'll give you a .a file that you can link with your main project.

Okay, I guess the reason I'm confused still is because the package seems like it has already been built. There are just a lot of files so I don't know how I'd go about building it in XCode. I had trouble understanding the CMake and Install files.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Starfox
macrumors regular

Are you familiar with using external libraries, the linking process etc?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming