Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiger1050

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Hi, new member here (been lurking a lot though) with my first question.

I have a new late 2012 Mac mini i5 and I fitted a OCZ Agility 3 120 Gb SSD, using the OWC fitting kit. The factory fitted 500Gb HDD was attached to disk0 sata connector & the SSD to disk1 sata connector. When I used diskutil to create a fusion drive I chose /dev/disk0 /dev/disk1, which, I think means the fusion is using the HDD (disk0) as the o/s install disk and not the faster SSD.

Am I right in thinking this???

Should I do it again in diskutil but as /dev/disk1 & /dev/disk0 ???

Sorry for the long winded question but I want to get it right.

regards all.

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
Hi, new member here (been lurking a lot though) with my first question.

I have a new late 2012 Mac mini i5 and I fitted a OCZ Agility 3 120 Gb SSD, using the OWC fitting kit. The factory fitted 500Gb HDD was attached to disk0 sata connector & the SSD to disk1 sata connector. When I used diskutil to create a fusion drive I chose /dev/disk0 /dev/disk1, which, I think means the fusion is using the HDD (disk0) as the o/s install disk and not the faster SSD.

Am I right in thinking this???

Should I do it again in diskutil but as /dev/disk1 & /dev/disk0 ???

Sorry for the long winded question but I want to get it right.

regards all.

Setup is fine. You are creating a volume group with those physical disks inside it. You have now created a virtual disk pool that is presented to the OS. You should now see a 3rd disk named Macintosh HD. Now install OS X to Macintosh HD or whatever you named the "drive" but is really a VG.

tiger1050

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2013
Thanks for the replies, I have already created the Fusion drive with the HDD on /dev/disk0 & SSD on /dev/disk1, however I still don't think things are as fast as they should be using the SSD/HDD drives.

I have looked on the forums/web sites/interweb and have found nothing to say the SSD should be on disk0 & HDD should be on disk1 OR that the fusion creating software KNOWS and puts the SSD as the boot dive ahead of the HDD.

If anyone has more knowledge or info on this,PLEASE post.

Regards all

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-09 at 15.31.03.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-09 at 15.31.03.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 473

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
The CoreStorage is smart enough to determine which disk is faster and use it appropriately. And disk0/disk1 etc. ids are only labels which can change when you reboot the machine.

Anyway, you can use the iostat terminal utility to monitor the access to the physical disks. Try for instance iostat -d -w 1

donlab

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2004
USA
Thanks for the replies, I have already created the Fusion drive with the HDD on /dev/disk0 & SSD on /dev/disk1, however I still don't think things are as fast as they should be using the SSD/HDD drives.

I have looked on the forums/web sites/interweb and have found nothing to say the SSD should be on disk0 & HDD should be on disk1 OR that the fusion creating software KNOWS and puts the SSD as the boot dive ahead of the HDD.

If anyone has more knowledge or info on this,PLEASE post.

Regards all

Good as it gets. Enjoy your fusion drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.