Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
Was chatting to a friend whom I haven't spoken with for months, and he said his iPhone was due for upgrade, but that his friends were urging him to get a Samsung, saying the Galaxy was better. Over the recent months, several handfuls of friends have said similar things. In the same period, I can't recall any chatter about iPhone. My sense of the pulse is that the chatter in the marketplace is swinging to Android.

Now I'm not talking about the one-eyed fans of either system. Instead, I'm referring to the non-aligned users who just want a nice phone, and don't feel any allegiance either way. As for me, since I'm a long time Apple user, I feel a tug even to consider departing from Apple -- but the marketplace, in terms of sheer numbers -- is dominated by people who don't feel any loyalty to any particular brand. These often just go with what their friends tell them.

Apple is losing out on this non-loyal market because it has this tradition of refusing to listen to customers. It comes from Steve Jobs. Steve managed to pull it off well, but this is how traditions start where no one can remember why the tradition started in the first place. Years from now, Apple will still have this -- "how can those minions know what they want when they haven't seen it yet" attitude.

Can someone speak sense by telling me, what is so *@#)*&$%)@$^ blasphemous for Apple to just listen to what customers want and give it to them?

Long before Steve Jobs, this has been the time tested method -- for centuries and millennia, ever since people traded products for profit -- of having good success in this art of selling. The customer is always right. That's how it's been forever. For a few short years, Steve Jobs made us think that the manufacturer knows better than the customer, and he pulled it off -- but time marches on, as it did with Steve, and basically you can't change several millenia of the rules of buying and selling. The customers are always right. Why? Because they won't hand over the cash if they're not pleased.

The prime example is Apple's 6 years of refusal to offer matte, anti-glare screens on anything except the MacBook Pro. I mean, think of that. Apple -- the largest company in the world, occasionally, with a monopoly on producing hardware for OSX -- does not produce a non-reflective, anti-glare screens for any of its desktop products. Not saying everyone needs this (most don't, most seem to love glossy) but many people do need matte screens, and in a large minority.

In sum, all I'm asking is: what so _@$_(% wrong for Apple to listen to its customers?

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Apple still sells the most smartphones in the world of any vendor. So I'm pretty sure the "water-cooler" chat still revolves around iPhones, iPads, iTextbooks and so on.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hmm...around my water cooler we don't talk about smartphones (or any technology really). Only thing tech wise people at work are taking about is how upgrading to Office 2010 has made their laptops incredibly slow. :D

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Hmm...around my water cooler we don't talk about smartphones (or any technology really). Only thing tech wise people at work are taking about is how upgrading to Office 2010 has made their laptops incredibly slow. :D

Still on XP and Office 2007 in my office! We talk sports more than anything else and when will we get a pay rise!

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I was sitting in a coffee shop yesterday. Sat next to some people with a torn-open iPad all over the table. Apparently the couple had hired the services of this tech, who looked like he knew what he was doing. The whole time he's working on their iPad, they're complaining about it, and saying their next tablet definitely won't be an iPad. He defends Apple with vigor throughout.

He finishes with them, and calls another client. She show up 20 minutes later for some software issues she's having with her iPad. Again, the whole time he's configuring her device, she's trash-talking it. Eventually she gets down to the lack of flexibility, and the lack of Flash support. At this point, a younger girl from a few tables over walks over, almost in tears. Says she's been trying for over a half an hour to submit her college assignment to the school's website, but she can't figure out how to do it on her iPad and her computer is not available. The tech looks at it and tells her the website is using Flash as a file transfer conduit, and that she won't be able to do it on her iPad. She is crushed, walks away disgusted, and the man's customer really starts to let loose the condemnation of Apple.

The guy continued to defend Apple's design choices, but I was . . . embarrassed for him. Very uncomfortable. And, in my opinion, for the world's "best" technology company, all totally avoidable.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Umm flash is going out you know? These type of people will likely have problems with whatever tech they are using. I know the type. :rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I was sitting in a coffee shop yesterday. Sat next to some people with a torn-open iPad all over the table. Apparently the couple had hired the services of this tech, who looked like he knew what he was doing. The whole time he's working on their iPad, they're complaining about it, and saying their next tablet definitely won't be an iPad. He defends Apple with vigor throughout.

He finishes with them, and calls another client. She show up 20 minutes later for some software issues she's having with her iPad. Again, the whole time he's configuring her device, she's trash-talking it. Eventually she gets down to the lack of flexibility, and the lack of Flash support. At this point, a younger girl from a few tables over walks over, almost in tears. Says she's been trying for over a half an hour to submit her college assignment to the school's website, but she can't figure out how to do it on her iPad and her computer is not available. The tech looks at it and tells her the website is using Flash as a file transfer conduit, and that she won't be able to do it on her iPad. She is crushed, walks away disgusted, and the man's customer really starts to let loose the condemnation of Apple.

The guy continued to defend Apple's design choices, but I was . . . embarrassed for him. Very uncomfortable. And, in my opinion, for the world's "best" technology company, all totally avoidable.

This all happened in a coffe shop? Sorry, not buying it. Who tears open iPads anyway and for what purpose?

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Guess it depends on what water cooler you're standing around. I know one guy with a Galaxy SII and another with another random Verizon Droid device. A few with Blackberrys are sprinkled in, but outside of that it's all iPhones everywhere. Every person in my office has both an iPhone and iPad. Just out and about I see a GSIII every now and again and have yet to see anyone with a GNII.

A Hebrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Minnesota
If it weren't for Windows 8 entering the mix, I would guess Android would have taken over the tablet market within 3 years...no I am not so sure....Windows 9 and Microsoft in general must stay aggressive though.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
LOL, I have dealt with those types of people too. I think you'll find that there are a lot of people in this world that are so computer illiterate that it hurts. But what's even worse is that the people trying to help are no good either. You don't need to use marketing words over and over like that. People don't care what Apple is, they just want their problem fixed.

It's still very much Apple chat around here too.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I'm hearing more Windows Phone than anything else. Not because it's growing super fast, but because everyone knows what an iPhone or SGSIII is. Windows Phone has the "what's that" going for it right now.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I've heard people talking about Windows 8, not Windows Phone but the full desktop OS. Either that or complaints about iOS6. This is in a workplace consisting about 95% of Macs.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Technology talk is impossible over here since most people in my area have yet to get a dumb phone never mind a smart phone.

Renzatic

Suspended
Only people i know who chat about smartphones are nerds.

So the "chatter" is skewed some way from reality.

Right. I guess the "reality" of the smartphone market should be determined by the vast majority of people who use their iPhones mostly to text their friends and check out Facebook.

Ahhh, how I love the average consumer. They're like 50 million blank faces anyone can use to skew an argument to their advantage. "Who cares if you use X? The vast majority doesn't, so blah blah blah Apple doesn't need it and you don't matter NEEERRRDDD".

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Right. I guess the "reality" of the smartphone market should be determined by the vast majority of people who use their iPhones mostly to text their friends and check out Facebook.

I'm not saying they 'should' determine reality.

I'm saying they do. You can like it or not, but a device's popularity is determined by the masses.

To the average end user, phones are like refrigerators, televisions, air conditioners, etc.

Most people don't talk about them at the water cooler any more than they talk about their refrigerator.

Whether people are switching to android or not is a seperate issue from the "chatter", as most people just don't talk about their phones like that.

Those who DO are more technical and maybe more likely to be more attracted to android.

Renzatic

Suspended
I'm not saying they 'should' determine reality.

I'm saying they do. You can like it or not, but a device's popularity is determined by the masses.

It's popularity is, yes. That's obvious. It's ultimate usefulness? Not so much.

Though I have no idea why some of you consider the average consumer such an important metric. By your own words, they're a flaky bunch of people. They have no brand loyalty, no interest in the device beyond it being the current cool thing. The iPhone and iPad are nothing more than appliances to them. Like their dishwasher, or refrigerator. They're likely to ditch Apple as soon as the next big thing hits the scene.

Yet despite this, so many people here argue according to what's important to them rather than the "nerds" of the scene. Who cares if Apple doesn't make a Mac Pro anymore? They're only bought by so many people. The iPhone sells millions upon millions. Apple is right in ditching the Pro scene entirely.

...and they say this with a totally straight face. Not realizing the consumer electronics market is littered with the corpses of once wildly successful, seemingly unstoppable juggernaut corporations.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.