Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Feb 7, 2013, 05:18 PM   #1
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

Transfer from Camera to iMovie

I haven't had to do any video transfer or editing on Imac before so I'm a little lost. I recently videoed a friends seminar (poor lighting and audio but acceptable) and she has asked me to put it on DVD for her.

I transferred it to Imovie via the standard cable that came with the camera which looks like this onehttp://www.ylmart.com/jvc-everio-gz-hm550-cable.html. The quality isn't as good as I had hoped for, despite the fact that it was on the highest qulity recording setting and it's supposed to be HD. The video is large in size and hen I view it, it's pretty much a full imac screen but the resolution and grain appearances is poor. The video camera is a JVC everio HDD gz-hm550 and it just dawned on me that perhaps there was another cable I could use to transfer the video at a higher quality.... perhaps this one http://www.ylmart.com/mini-hdmi-to-hdmi-cable.html but i can't really tell if my Imac has that kind of cable slot

Can anybody please tell me if i'm stuck with the quality of the video I have or if there is another way to transfer it at a higher quality?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

CyrusOz
CyrusOz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:29 AM   #2
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

What version of iMovie are you using???????? and what is the quality of your video in your camcorder.
Also what input sockets do you have with your iMac. Looking from your picture of the cables you could be using the wrong ones.
Can you be a bit more precise with your information
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:29 AM   #3
WestSt
macrumors member

Have you tried pulling the files directly from the camera, and viewing them in the original format (Quicktime Player, VLC)?

If it looks the same, then it has nothing to do with iMovie exporting to AIC format, or real time play back not showing the best quality. With the lighting and surroundings you describe, using a consumer grade camera, I'll bet the quality is the same. HD or not has nothing to do with it - even the best cameras need good light to hit the lens, to get the best quality video.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Stixx31
macrumors newbie

A Handycam like that records in AVCHD, and while it records a full 1920x1080 picture, most of the image is what's known as "pixel shifted," it is not full HD but brought up to that resolution, mainly for marketing purposes. That USB cable you used is the correct cable, however, iMovie cannot take those native files, so they need to be converted with something like compressor or clipwrap
Stixx31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:45 PM   #5
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

Thats all great information people, thanks very much for your input and advice.

I just tried viewing them directly from the camera into VLC player and although it's not great FULL HD it's still much better than the quality I'm seeing when playing them through imovie so it would appear it's Imovie downgrading the quality rather than a transfer issue. Definitely the lighting and camera type have played a significant role in the quality level but i need to maintain the best quality I have.

I do actually like using Imovie because it's easy and produces a semi-professional product with the transitions etc ... ie it looks pretty with very little effort from me.

Does this mean that I have to use another video editing program to maintain the highest quality or can I save the file directly from my camera into a format to import into imovie without losing quality?

Sorry to ask such dumbass questions but I really need your help. I guess I need things spelled out to me so I don't screw up.

Thanks again people
CyrusOZ
Old Feb 8, 2013, 05:43 PM   #6
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

WHAT version of iMovie are you using?.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 06:29 PM   #7
WestSt
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
WHAT version of iMovie are you using?.
Answering this will enable people in here to help you out much better!

In the mean time, her is a great(!) resource: http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/imovie_09_stone.html

When iMovie imports, it encodes your files to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec). The built in compressor in iMovie may not be the best for the job. I've not used iMovie a lot, but tried it out as an import tool, with the intention of using the video in FCP projects. What I discovered, though, was that MPEG Streamclip does a much better job exporting files to AIC. MPEG Streamclip is free, but unless you have FCP or the latest OSX, you have to get a Mpeg2 component from Apple. All the info you need is available at http://www.squared5.com/. Strongly recommended!
WestSt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:39 AM   #8
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

thanks very much guys, i'll try and do what you suggested Westst.

I'm currently using Imovie 09 but below in that in the "What about Imovie' window it says V 8.0.6 (821)... hopefully that helps somehow.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:20 PM   #9
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

i just tried Mpeg Streamclip and it says that .mts files are not supported/recognised..... any other suggestions?

I also have access to a PC and old one but it still works with XP. Is there a program I can downaloed that will convert .mts files without loss of quality so that I can edit them in imovie or fcp?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:22 PM   #10
simsaladimbamba

You could try the following two methods involving free applications to get editable or playable video files from .MTS files.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:03 PM   #11
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

great suggestions thanks for that. Unfortunately neither of those programs work on my damn mac..... they either quit out or need a newer version of operating system than I currently have.

PLEEEEEESSSEEE help.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:08 PM   #12
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrusOz View Post
great suggestions thanks for that. Unfortunately neither of those programs work on my damn mac..... they either quit out or need a newer version of operating system than I currently have.

PLEEEEEESSSEEE help.
What Mac OS X version do you have then?
Still Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard?

"How to maximise your MacRumors troubleshooting experience" created by mad jew in 2006
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:29 PM   #13
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

I'm still on 10.5.8.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:02 PM   #14
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
I'm still on 10.5.8.
Can you spend 19 USD to get the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Upgrade DVD from the Apple Online Store, if you have an Intel Mac? That would solve a lot of problems.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:37 PM   #15
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

I can, will I lose anything during the upgrade or is a simple install/upgrade?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:40 PM   #16
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
I can, will I lose anything during the upgrade or is a simple install/upgrade?
No, it only updates the system files and applications, but making a backup before doing so is advised, doing backups in general is advised.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:50 PM   #17
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

cool i think i'll do that because I've been needing to for some time but been putting it off.

In relation to this issue of the video, how will the upgrade fix my problem? Does it have QT x that allows me to saved .mts files as whatever I want or something ??? or will it simply let me run the free applications listed above?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:51 PM   #18
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
cool i think i'll do that because I've been needing to for some time but been putting it off.

In relation to this issue of the video, how will the upgrade fix my problem? Does it have QT x that allows me to saved .mts files as whatever I want or something ??? or will it simply let me run the free applications listed above?
I use Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and can run those applications I linked to quite fine, though I do not know, if it has to do with QT X.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:10 PM   #19
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

ok, ridiculously stupid question but I cannot find Snow Leopard on the Apple Online store.... i can only find mountain lion .... does Snow Leopard not exist on there any more... do I have to get it elsewhere through unofficial channels or something?

Sorry to ask that but the online store confuses the ***** out of me.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 07:13 PM   #20
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
ok, ridiculously stupid question but I cannot find Snow Leopard on the Apple Online store.... i can only find mountain lion .... does Snow Leopard not exist on there any more... do I have to get it elsewhere through unofficial channels or something?

Sorry to ask that but the online store confuses the ***** out of me.
Normally a search of the store gets you here.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:33 PM   #21
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

now I'm super confused, I tried that several times but when I put anything in the search field and hit ENTER nothing ever happened. Whenever I went through their operating systems it only listed the last two. Thanks very much for that - i'll go and find it somehow now.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 08:36 PM   #22
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
now I'm super confused, I tried that several times but when I put anything in the search field and hit ENTER nothing ever happened. Whenever I went through their operating systems it only listed the last two. Thanks very much for that - i'll go and find it somehow now.
Do you use the Apple Online Store (accessible via Safari or any browser) or the Mac App Store (MAS)? What happens if you click the link I provided in my previous post?

If you do not see it, here it is again.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:30 PM   #23
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

I changed my browser and that link worked fine thanks, it wasn't working properly in firefox but safari got me there via your link.

Thanks mate
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:10 PM   #24
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

ok so i've updated to snow leopard, i'll install those other programs you suggested and see if they work now.

Thanks again for your support.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:31 PM   #25
CyrusOz
macrumors regular

Ok the first option using the Clipgrab and rewrap was working well until I dragged the .mts file into the rewrap unzipped file and then it creates the .mkv file within 1-2 seconds but the .mkv doesn't contain anything, it's zero kb.

I'm not sure what is going on, can you help me with this too please?

Thanks again mate

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video