Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

missingmyerica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
Okay, so my daughter sent me her iphone 4 when she upgraded to the newest iphone. She's in Japan and her carrier was Softbank. I was all excited thinking I could just pop in a straight talk sim card and I would be good to go. BUT...after reading posts on here, that doesn't seem like it's going to work. Is the phone useless or is there a way to make it work?

Aug 5, 2012
OP we need more info to be able to help you.

Dont waste time feeling sorry for yourself... Get busy getting that phone working

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Softbank doesn't unlock their iPhones, they are locked to Softbank only SIM cards. You might be able to find a gray market unlock service or maybe grevey sim.

missingmyerica

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2013
I live in Pennsylvania. (United States)

----------

OP we need more info to be able to help you.

Dont waste time feeling sorry for yourself... Get busy getting that phone working

What info do you need? LOL...I'm trying not to feel sorry for myself, but compared to my old school blackberry, that iphone looks so cool!

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I've looked into this myself yet never found a solution. Good luck in your quest and may you have better success than I did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.