Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applechunckin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
I want to burn some DVDs with some self-made movies to send to family and friends so they can watch them on their home dvd players (not computer).

Is there an emulator out there that will enable me to see how these DVDs will act on stand alone dvd players? I do not currently have a tv and standalone dvd player to test them on.

The reason is I want to see how the menu items show up on the burned dvd and also to see how the format looks based on whether they have an older dvd player that only plays the DVD-R format.

I know from experience that dvd players play movies differently (with regards to the UI) than on computers where you just double click on it and your favorited DVD app starts playing it.

Thanks

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Is there an emulator out there that will enable me to see how these DVDs will act on stand alone dvd players?
I don't think so.

Play your dvds with DVD Player which is on your Mac. The menu will look the same as it would on a TV through a dvd machine.

Just be aware though that not all DVD machines will play homemade dvds.

I know from experience that dvd players play movies differently (with regards to the UI) than on computers
If you have made a video dvd with something like iDVD, Burn or Toast, then there should be no difference.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Just be aware though that not all DVD machines will play homemade dvds.

I don't believe that this is true. What is true is that DVD players will not play some homemade DVDs. This is because you need the proper combination of burner, media, and player. A working combination can only be determined by trial and error. The usual advice is to start with expensive media. If it works in your burner and player, then try cheaper media. Use the least expensive media that works reliably in your burner and player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.