Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
The daughtercard is about as pragmatic product differentiations as plugging in two different GPUs.

Again, that's where we disagree. A gpu is a part they buy off the shelf. The two different daughtercards are different proprietary parts that they need to design themselves.

The case is the same. The sockets on the outside are the same.

As would be the case if Apple used i7 on the low end and dual xeon on the high, yet in that case you'd insist it's suddenly two different products.

There are differences in the single and dual packages. The single packages run 130W and the duals are more so in the 95W range and there are two. (e.g., putting two sockets exactly lined up will shield the downstream radiating apparatus from cooling air). There are thermal differences to deal with. Variations to deal with thermal variation is driven by straightforward engineering considerations.

So you're saying that the design needs to be different for single and dual xeon configurations. That's exactly my point - it's not like they're selling one design and just leaving off the second CPU.

Apple is going to leave superflous empty sockets on the board for folks to fill with their trusty screwdriver.

I assume you mean apple is not?

It isn't to build a more robust single CPU package workstation system; just a cheaper one.

And would that be a bad goal? A single CPU machine is by definition going to be less capable than a dual. The biggest problem with the low end MP is that it's way overpriced for the performance it gives, so I don't see what would be wrong with an update that prices it appropriately.

The is lots of talk about "Oh I'm gonna ... " and not an overwhelming backing that up of actually doing.

But how much of that is due to Apple not offering a real update in years? Most of the talk is "Oh I'm gonna when apple finally updates it" - until Apple releases a MP with hardware that's not behind the times, they're not going to sell many of them. And for the most part it mainly IS just Apple, who else is offering a product line that for example doesn't have sata III, among other things that are way out of date on the MP?

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
EU bans Mac Pro sales on March 1st?

I just heard on the news that the EU will ban Mac Pro sales after the 1st of March. Is it true?? :eek:

They say it has something to do with fans and ports being too exposed...:confused:

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
The xMac isn't going to kill the Mac Pro because the xMac would be priced in the iMac zone. That is really primary motiviating factor of what most of the moaning and groaning about i7 is about. A less expensive (sub $2,000) box with slots.
And is most MP buyers just want a mac with slots, after xMac, MP sales would be less than half of what it has been.
Doubtful. If look at the recent announcements by several ( not just NEC and Eizo) of high gamut, factor calibrated displays by folks like ASUS , Samsung , etc. (e.g., http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/28.htm#asus_pa249q ) then can see that the commodity like availability for those kinds of monitors is developing. Standard quality IPS monitors are dropping into the $200-400 zone and vendors wanting to sell $500-900 monitors are having to step-up with things like high gamut to justify over $500 price points.

A 10-bit color iMac is far more likely eventually. Followed by a 10-bit color docking station.
Yes, very doubtful. Same way than I don't think Apple will give much thought about servers or expandability for desktops.

Gone are the days when Apple was first to introduce 2.5k 30" with amazing price point also. And yes, after all ipods have 10-bit colors, maybe Apple's offering for mac's display will get it also.

byfield~pitman

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Retina Cinema Display?

If Apple wants regain the position of being ahead of their competition in the high end desktop workstation market, they should REALLY release the first ever HiDPI cinema display along with the newly redesigned Mac Pro.

I mean, if Photoshop and Lightroom now support HiDPI mode in Mac OSX Mountain Lion, the rest of the professional software developers won't be too far behind.

Staring at my iPhone's 326 DPI display has spoiled me for editing photographs on my rather "long-in-the-tooth" 20" Cinema Display with its 0.258 mm pixel pitch. And as much as I'd love to be able to upgrade to a Mac Pro with a modern processor, modern graphics card, and modern RAM, I probably won't buy a new desktop computer (to replace my "Early 2008 Mac Pro" 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad Core machine) until there's a desktop on the market that's designed to work with, or at least future-proofed to work with a Retina Display. And ideally, the Retina Display should be launched right alongside the new Mac Pro.

So that's what I hope is coming from Apple this spring. Please and thank you.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Again, that's where we disagree. A gpu is a part they buy off the shelf. The two different daughtercards are different proprietary parts that they need to design themselves.

You just cherry picking what you want to focus on. Frankly you missed the part were one of those was a 1GB and the other a 2GB. The number of VRAM chips is likely different hand yet that doesn't prohibiatively drive up costs.

fixed upfront design R&D costs of moderate size amortized over a large enough base of units sold don't drive product differences. Amortized costs of $20 or less don't do separate products in the Mac Pro price range ($2000+). It is 1% or less than the cost of the system.

As would be the case if Apple used i7 on the low end and dual xeon on the high, yet in that case you'd insist it's suddenly two different products.

You are changing component that will be bought in quantity. Xeon generally use the same RAM. So the higher volumes in combining the single and dual offerings. Some with IOHUB... higher overall volumes if combine.

Same with amortizing design costs for the dual. If substantially overlap with the single version than can amortize R&D costs over a much larger base.

All that using a i7 and forking single dual design does is drive component and amortized design costs for the dual processor product up. That's it. There is zero cost saving for the user on the single model. The CPU packages largely cost the same (for the same socket and performance) and the marginal RAM difference won't get reflected in Apple's pricing. The margin is higher for Apple but there is no net increase in value for the customer. Nope, zip, nada. It makes for a weaker separated upper end product. ( market forces more prone to kill it off) and a juiced for no good reason lower end product ( likely higher long term costs for Apple since more tweakers with misguided overclocking leading to more long term support costs. )

So you're saying that the design needs to be different for single and dual xeon configurations. That's exactly my point - it's not like they're selling one design and just leaving off the second CPU.

You are grossly exaggerating the differences. The primary inputs and outputs to the daughtercard can be designed to exactly the same specs. That means no design changes between the two.

The CPU + DIMM subcomponents can be either be copy pasted to make two or even less expensively tweaked cut and deleted to make one. If design the dual package daughtercard first then the single card is largely a set of removals from the first. Characterizing that as some costly design change in an era of electronic design tools is humorous. No, not really. zero cost difference no. Large significant cost difference also no.

It isn't even the whole daughter card that is changing. Being very generous it might be 50% of the card. It is likely less than that if start with the dual and mutate that into a single. Removal of the 2nd CPU socket and DIMMs actually makes layout easier. Just center the socket into the "hole" created with the deletion.

Your commentary is indicative that your mindset is warped with by perhaps a methodology of dual the single first and then some substantial juggling to fit two. Removing parts from a design isn't that hard.

I assume you mean apple is not?

sorry about that. Yes Apple will not be selling empty CPU socket product offerings. Therefore. also not DIMM sockets that won't work at all without another CPU package either. No extra socket => no extra DIMMS.

And would that be a bad goal?

A single CPU machine is by definition going to be less capable than a dual.

Not really. Depends upon software being utilized. It is increasingly common that two GPUs would bring more computational impact to computational analysis than two CPUs. Depends upon the software.

The other issue is that higher core count typically leads to slower clock speed. Single CPU package offerings will generally clock higher. There are folks with legacy software stacks that need faster clocks to go faster.

The biggest problem with the low end MP is that it's way overpriced for the performance it gives,

That is largely driven by very bad Intel offerings. The low end is still stuck on Nehalem 3500 offerings that are several generations back.

so I don't see what would be wrong with an update that prices it appropriately.

There are several Xeon E5 1600s that do just exactly that and have much higher component synergy with dual Xeon E5 2600 offerings.

Apple probably should find a way to move the base MP price back close to the $2000 boundary between the iMac and Mac Pro. Something like $2,199 or ($2,099) instead of $2,500 starting point would boost Mac Pro sales without unnecessarily fratricide on too much of the upper end iMac BTO configs. There is too large a gap between the base price offerings.

Since folks seem to be wishing to inflict Thunderbolt on the Mac Pro a embedded GPU only BTO offering at $2,199 would work well . Folk who want their own GPU card could also boost the 3rd party card market also. (minimize to 4GB RAM and minimal 500GB HDD since folks are largely going to toss those those two components also.)

But driving into the sub $2000 range? No. that really isn't a Mac Pro anymore. That is basically a product to shrink iMac sales which makes no sense.

But how much of that is due to Apple not offering a real update in years?

HP , Dell, etc didn't offer any substantive updates in 2011 either. Intel didn't offer anything new.

The overall workstation market has been highly suppressed over most of this "Great Recsssion".

" ... The results from the workstation market's first quarter were disappointing, as it marked the first two consecutive quarters of negative growth since 2008. And if industry observers needed more evidence of the market's listlessness, they need look no farther than the second quarter's numbers ... "
http://jonpeddie.com/press-releases...-sluggish-in-q212-reports-jon-peddie-researc/

" ... The workstation market proceeded ahead in the fourth quarter of 2011, completing a long climb back from the 2009 depths of the global economic recession that had slashed its shipments by over 40 percent. But that fourth quarter advance was more a case of "steady as she goes" than "full speed ahead", reports Jon Peddie Research senior analyst Alex Herrera. ..."
http://jonpeddie.com/press-releases/details/steady-as-she-goes-for-the-workstation-market-in-q411/

So yeah.... this isn't an Apple only problem. Characterizing it as such doesn't have much if any quantitative evidence to back it up.

Most of the talk is "Oh I'm gonna when apple finally updates it" - until Apple releases a MP with hardware that's not behind the times, they're not going to sell many of them.

Frankly, this is largely the same bluster that accompanied the XServe. If only XServe had dual power supplies you're really going to see sales spike then. Apple has the numbers of units sold for both Mac Pro and overall sales of competitive offerings.

Expensive capital equipment gets refreshed on a longer lifecycle period than less expensive stuff does.

And for the most part it mainly IS just Apple, who else is offering a product line that for example doesn't have sata III, among other things that are way out of date on the MP?

And how many of those have anywhere near Apple's cash flow from operations from their PC line ups as Apple has from their Mac line up ?

Dell is going private. HP is floating around the idea of splitting off PCs again.

Markets that are going backwards generally get low priority assignments at Apple if not complete exits. If workstations were growing at a 15% year-over-year clip Apple would be all over them like stink on *****. It isn't so they are not.

There is a chance with an increasingly larger base of software that can leverage more GPGPU resources that may change with an influx of new users (formerly on clusters but not on individual workstations) to offset the relatively slow capital upgrade lifecycle. If it doesn't materialize this will probably be Apple's last stab at it.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
And is most MP buyers just want a mac with slots, after xMac, MP sales would be less than half of what it has been.

I think you have that backwards. Most xMac buyers just want a mac with slots.

If Apple believed it was that backwards was actually the case the Mac Pro would be dead and the xMac never started. I think there is a faction in Apple that does have it screw up and it took a while to point out that there isn't much solid (less noisy) quantative evidence to back that up.

People what want "slots" without high performance are being given Thunderbolt.

There are a number of old timers who are fixated on the slot form over function that will demand "boxes", but Apple is likely resigned to the fact those folks will simply just die off over time. Long term that is where those folks are going.

Yes, very doubtful. Same way than I don't think Apple will give much thought about servers or expandability for desktops.

No those two are different issues.

For servers, high priest, highly rigid IT folks told Apple hardware is generic. They simply want to throw OS X into a virtual machine and host on generic servers. Effectively decoupling OS X software from Apple specific hardware. Apple interpreted that as "you don't want Apple systems" and canceled the product. As the number of folks buying plateaued and shrank the product got cancelled.

Expandability runs counter to Moorse law and computer technology in general. Over time computers get smaller. That is been true for decades. In the early days motherboards were filled with transistors. Transistors moved into integrated circuits. Integrated circuits are moving into more functional because incorporated into smaller packages. Pins outs is more a limitation than putting in more functionality.

Apple isn't going to engage in battle swimming upstream from that billions more in R&D going the other way. More modularity is not where things in general are going.

In the Mac Pro context this overall integration black hole effect is moving workloads that formerly took multiple boxes into one box. ( or much bigger boxes into workstation sized boxes). In that context they are aligned. Where that is a growing population of users they will track that with products. That isn't were legacy PCs workloads from the 90's is going though. Those workloads are going to smaller boxes most of which don't need slots.

Gone are the days when Apple was first to introduce 2.5k 30" with amazing price point also.

You are looking for old things priced lower. That isn't Apple gig since Jobs came back. Given the results for them finicially you'll be extremely hard pressed to get them to adopt their competitors largely unsuccessful strategies in the current economic and technological climate.

And yes, after all ipods have 10-bit colors, maybe Apple's offering for mac's display will get it also.

iPods and iOS devices are purely just misdirection. Mac Pro's problems and external forces generated cannibalization are purely evidenced by Mac cohort product offerings. For folks with slowly or stagnant increasing computational workloads the more inexpensive offerings are increasing sufficient.

iOS devices generate their own cash flow. They aren't being subsidized by Mac operations at all. They aren't "stealing" any resources from the overall Mac market at this point.

For the limited screen size of iOS devices 10-bit won't match all that much of a difference. So no it isn't even likely even as misdirection.

Lcky

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2013
the newsletter explicitly mentions that a new "Mac Pro" would be coming. Originally Tim Cook last year spoke of an 'exicting new product for Pro users' or something like that (in the content of not having mentioned the Mac Pro during the Show before)..

The Granny Smith Pro?

The Fuji Pro

Honey Crisp..

:D

sna

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
Haswell Xeon E5 are not going to appear before Q3 2014 if not Q1 2015. That has nothing to do with a 2013 release.

The will be Haswell Xeon E3 in 2013 but it won't have DDR 4. Unless Apple creates a new "slimmed down sized" Mac Pro, they likely won't use the E3.

SATA Express

http://www.sata-io.org/technology/sataexpress.asp

http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti..._16Gbit_SATA_Express_systems_coming_this_year

Not likely at all. Apple isn't likely to include something that hasn't been ratified yet onto the motherboard. Some 3rd party PCI-e cards may show up with SATA Express but doubtful Apple is going to embedded that onto the motherboard. The card will have a SATA express controller on it.

There probably will be PCI-e slots though. :)

More likely new drivers for not so new GPUs. If it is Q3 then GPUs from Q1-Q2 will be the candidates. Nvidia and ATI are rolling out new cards now. The following refresh isn't due till 2014.

If Apple releases in Q3 it is most likely largely because they didn't start working on a new Mac Pro until 2012.

:(

if we must wait till 2014 for DDR4 then I d say skip all the DDR4 and goto DDR5 ... we ALREADY have 4G DDR5 VGA CARDS for 2 YEARS ...

it is unacceptable to wait till 2014 and yet use only DDR4 ...

I looked at Intel roadmap , seems all what we will get are more cores and 1866 DDR3 ...

Thanks for the info :(

----------

The Haswell Cube.

A fellow can dream!

Fail..

we have the imacs for that ...

how do you expect to add a full GPU card in a cube ?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
:(

if we must wait till 2014 for DDR4 then I d say skip all the DDR4 and goto DDR5 ... we ALREADY have 4G DDR5 VGA CARDS for 2 YEARS ...

DDR4 has little to do with the DDR5 being used for VRAM. It isn't along the same line of evolution. DDR4 is about point-to-point connections and higher density RAM modules. DDR5 along with DDR3 is primarily just about clocking faster. DDR4 is not just about the same stuff faster or more tricks to pump data on up/down clock ticks.

There is no follow on to DDR4 coming for at 3-5 years. There is absolutely no sense in "waiting" on that.

it is unacceptable to wait till 2014 and yet use only DDR4 ...

I think your perspective of time is flawed.

" ... In September 2012 JEDEC released the final specification of DDR4. ... "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR4_SDRAM

DDR4 wasn't finished being standardized until less that 6 months ago. Spec completion in 2012 and product rollout in 2014 is a normal progressions cycle.

I looked at Intel roadmap , seems all what we will get are more cores and 1866 DDR3 ...

For Ivy Bridge Xeon E5s, yes. It will be significantly faster than the stuff 3 or more generations back. Folks looking for radical performance jumps on a single Intel tick ( or tock) cycle (e.g, Westmere -> Sandy Bridge or Sandy Bridge -> Ivy Bridge ) are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

Intel is steady moving forward at a decent amount on each tick or tock. Go through two or three of those tick/tock combinations and there are large jumps if the software adapts to the new architectures. A major part of the adjustments going forward will be taking advantage of more cores (and not just x86 ones. )

Cavalier777

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
i'm betting that it'll be an underwhelming update. time for apple to lose even more users to boxx tech! lol

I've owned a few Mac computers, but never a Mac Pro. Could never justify the expense.

However, if it were redesigned & offered a greater choice of spec-variations, including, for eg. a lower-end MP starting at maybe closer to £1,000+ (about $2,000 for those in US), I'd certainly be very interested in getting one in future. :rolleyes:

Being realistic though, that's unlikely to happen. Whatever the redesign, I imagine Apple won't risk cannibalizing their iMac range, but continue selling the new MPs at premium prices, including the least expensive model.

Tzzzzzt

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2013
Just for the record, the French word "arrêt" means a halt; a judgment is an "arrêté"

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Neodym said:
Originally Tim Cook last year spoke of an 'exicting new product for Pro users' or something like that (in the content of not having mentioned the Mac Pro during the Show before)..

I've been predicting some new services, like CPU farms through their data center. That would kill the Pro forever.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
I think the hardware wonks are loosing sight of what the majority of MacPro users really want:

1) Able to choose our own monitors (no iMac with crappy GPU)

2) Ability to add storage, at least 2 drive bays.

3) Capable for 16GB Ram.

4) Current tech connectors.

5) Ability to upgrade GPUs. Don't want to be stuck with same one for 4 years. Don't give a rip what kind of card it's on.

I really don't give a flip about what the hardware is, but I want to be able to upgrade it, and I don't want to be stuck with on-board GPUs, especially given the underpowered ones Apple always uses.

Give me that machine, and I'll buy it. If Apple forces some soldered-on GPU on me, and I'll finally buy a PC.

What do I do on my old MacPro now? Photshop, Lightroom and Warcraft, all in heavy doses. :) But I NEED a system that will handle multiple 64-bit apps running, and handle them well. My old system doesn't do that anymore.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

I guess I'll never understand this mentality. The daughterboard allows them to edit out the use of expensive parts, and the i7 and single package Xeon equivalents. Here is the i7 used in the top imac, which is a totally different socket. A Sandy Bridge E i7 would be the same cpu price. The Xeon equivalent is also identical in price. Because of the daughterboard setup, the logic board shouldn't be terribly expensive. If the case was a huge cost, they likely would have changed it like they did with other stuff in 2009. ECC ram used to be extremely expensive pre-2005. Today it's about the same. May I ask the perceived benefit with the use of some i7 variant and if you meant Sandy Bridge E or if you were referring to the latest LGA1155 type?

The Haswell Cube.

A fellow can dream!

Cube concepts have infiltrated the internet on a few occasions, mostly in the form of keyshot rendered mockups. Every time they show a lack of real rational design. If Apple was taking a slightly different product strategy, something closer to the suggested hardware could have come out of the imac or mini. The imac got thinner. It could have probably fit extra storage with greater volume. They didn't go that route. I think the anorexia nervosa design sense (ripping off deconstruct's lines again) is a little silly, as in this case it didn't decrease the footprint, yet it did remove VESA compatibility. Anyone who suggests it's more eco-friendly is also silly. A few people spun it that way. Clearly they've never looked at Apple's packaging.

Last edited:

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I think the hardware wonks are loosing sight of what the majority of MacPro users really want:

3) Capable for 16GB Ram.

5) Ability to upgrade GPUs. Don't want to be stuck with same one for 4 years. Don't give a rip what kind of card it's on.

I entirely agree with the upgradability thing, but don't brush the iMac off as an incapable machine, especially the GPU. In Cinema 4D, in all honesty, the 680MX is really only slightly slower than the Quadro K5000 that I use at work. Hardly "crappy" as you've referred to it. I do some pretty intense motion design on my iMac. I've got a super high poly scene in C4D open, a fairly complex After Effects project, RealFlow, Illustrator and Photoshop open now, and it isn't breaking a sweat. I'm using 24GB of RAM out of my 32, but still 0 page outs.

The iMac isn't the ideal pro machine for several big reasons, but don't brush it off.

Also, by 16GB, do you mean support for 16GB DIMMs, or what did you mean by that? I'd like support for up to 128GB total on the Mac Pro.

Rampage Dev

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
So how will PC makers add Thunderbolt to their desktop machines? I believe Lenovo and Sony already have machines out with it on board.

They use the IGPU on the CPU die as Intel requires thus satisfying the spec. It is hard to believe that some many educated people ignore the Spec Sheet on Thunderbolt.

----------

Also, by 16GB, do you mean support for 16GB DIMMs, or what did you mean by that? I'd like support for up to 128GB total on the Mac Pro.

They better release the new Mac Pro with support for 512 GB of ram to stay comparable to similar HP and Dell models. Releasing a Mac Pro with support for only 256 GB of ram or less will be looked as a failure.

relimw

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2004
SC

3) Capable for 16GB Ram.

What do I do on my old MacPro now? Photshop, Lightroom and Warcraft, all in heavy doses. :) But I NEED a system that will handle multiple 64-bit apps running, and handle them well. My old system doesn't do that anymore.

We are talking about Mac Pros still on this thread aren't we? :eek:
If so, that eliminates 1-3 on your list (heck the 1,1 can take 32GB of ram unless you meant 16GB DIMMS) 128-256GB max ram would be nice :)

You can upgrade GPU cards, although one of my strongest complaints after Apple switched to Intel and commodity parts, was they wouldn't let us use PC GPU cards (unless we flashed them ourselves, side effect of EFI). Personally, since I do make use of CS6 AND a good many science related apps that can make use of GPGPU systems I would love to throw an Intel Phi 5110p in the system crank away :D

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire

3) Capable for 16GB Ram.

I really don't give a flip about what the hardware is, but I want to be able to upgrade it, and I don't want to be stuck with on-board GPUs, especially given the underpowered ones Apple always uses.

Give me that machine, and I'll buy it. If Apple forces some soldered-on GPU on me, and I'll finally buy a PC.

Basically, what they offered with every iteration of the G3 - G5s then decided to ramp the prices up when they went intel, only to ramp them up to over £2000 while shipping them with an aneamic amount of standard RAM. I completely agree.

They could make a system simply called "Mac" in the Mac Pro case based around a desktop class Core i7 with 4 RAM slots, several SATA 6Gb/s bays, Thunderbolt handled with a daughtercard on a PCIe connector internally, and offer exactly what people have being crying out for.

The "Pro" version would be the one with Xeon CPUs, 8 RAM slots and a £2000+ price tag.

I'd be happy if they added a Mac Mini with a real GPU in it.

Although to do that they would need a bigger form factor that what they are using now.

Not necessarily & I agree with cgc. If laptops like the Alienware range for gamers work well with very powerful graphics cards, Mac Minis could certainly include at least significantly better GPUs than what they have.

That they don't is probably more to do with Apple wanting to generate higher sales of their more profitable iMac range.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
All that using a i7 and forking single dual design does is drive component and amortized design costs for the dual processor product up. That's it. There is zero cost saving for the user on the single model. The CPU packages largely cost the same (for the same socket and performance) and the marginal RAM difference won't get reflected in Apple's pricing. The margin is higher for Apple but there is no net increase in value for the customer. Nope, zip, nada. It makes for a weaker separated upper end product. ( market forces more prone to kill it off) and a juiced for no good reason lower end product ( likely higher long term costs for Apple since more tweakers with misguided overclocking leading to more long term support costs. )
2x8GB for MP (leaves another 2 slots for future expansion) costs $168 @OWC.
2x8GB for new iMac costs $115 at the same place.
i7-6core-3.3GHz is about $600, 3.1GHz-6core-xeon is about $2k.
I'd guess the chipset price difference is also substantial.
All things like these build up the premium that xMac wouldn't have. If Apple can sell a macbook with $200 premium over average laptop, why not desktop mini/mid tower.
But driving into the sub $2000 range? No. that really isn't a Mac Pro anymore. That is basically a product to shrink iMac sales which makes no sense.
Maybe for Apple it doesn't make sense to sell customers what the customer wants. Also maybe if the customer wants xMac, s/he won't buy an iMac, mac mini or nothing at all. Lost revenue for Apple in those cases.
I think you have that backwards. Most xMac buyers just want a mac with slots. If Apple believed it was that backwards was actually the case the Mac Pro would be dead and the xMac never started. I think there is a faction in Apple that does have it screw up and it took a while to point out that there isn't much solid (less noisy) quantative evidence to back that up.
By not offering xMac Apple gets more money, since if you want pci-e slots in mac, you'll have to buy MP. Neither Apple of us can have proof if xMac would eventually increase sales of macs, but we can be sure that many people would prefer it. Maybe MP is "flagship" in that sense that Apple wants to keep it around, but it would be too non-profitalbe if xMac was around.
People what want "slots" without high performance are being given Thunderbolt.
Most people don't want to pay $600 for each pci-e slot.
There are a number of old timers who are fixated on the slot form over function that will demand "boxes", but Apple is likely resigned to the fact those folks will simply just die off over time. Long term that is where those folks are going.
Long term maybe, but not this decade. Pricewise TB is crazy compared to pci-e and it has 1/10 of the bandwidth.
I just can't understand what is so horrible about pci-e slots for Apple. TB is nice for laptops, but makes absolutely less sense in desktops.
Expandability runs counter to Moorse law and computer technology in general. Over time computers get smaller. That is been true for decades. In the early days motherboards were filled with transistors. Transistors moved into integrated circuits. Integrated circuits are moving into more functional because incorporated into smaller packages. Pins outs is more a limitation than putting in more functionality. Apple isn't going to engage in battle swimming upstream from that billions more in R&D going the other way. More modularity is not where things in general are going. In the Mac Pro context this overall integration black hole effect is moving workloads that formerly took multiple boxes into one box. ( or much bigger boxes into workstation sized boxes). In that context they are aligned. Where that is a growing population of users they will track that with products. That isn't were legacy PCs workloads from the 90's is going though. Those workloads are going to smaller boxes most of which don't need slots.
When you can put 40 pci-e lanes in TB socket, you don't need pci-e bandwidth-wise. Then there's this price problem. Globally we have hundreds of millions of pci-e slots in desktops in use. It will take years for TB peripherals to get even 1% of pci-e card market. And even some of those TB preipherals will have that pci-e slot inside them.
You are looking for old things priced lower. That isn't Apple gig since Jobs came back. Given the results for them finicially you'll be extremely hard pressed to get them to adopt their competitors largely unsuccessful strategies in the current economic and technological climate.
Apple introduced 30" in 2004. Where did Jobs came back then?
iOS devices generate their own cash flow. They aren't being subsidized by Mac operations at all. They aren't "stealing" any resources from the overall Mac market at this point.
It was said that Apple moved r&d resources from mac to ios when it was hot topic. Maybe it still is, looking from how their revenues divide.
Anyway it is pretty funne that at the same time Apple has hq ips-screens in ipads, but macbookPROs suffer from inferior TN-displays.
For the limited screen size of iOS devices 10-bit won't match all that much of a difference. So no it isn't even likely even as misdirection.
What does screen size having to do with color fidelity? Small screens can look bad? Small pixels don't need gamut and dynamics?
Which one needs better quality: 10" ipad screen or 11" air screen?

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Basically, what they offered with every iteration of the G3 - G5s then decided to ramp the prices up when they went intel, only to ramp them up to over £2000 while shipping them with an aneamic amount of standard RAM.
Remember the price of top end quad-core G5?
Or the cheapest MP (2GHz model 1,1 , which I still have and use...)?
Meaning: there were expensive G5's and inexpensive MP's. Now we have only expensive ones, although RAM has gotten pretty cheap...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.