Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:12 PM   #201
Westside guy
macrumors 601
 
Westside guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The soggy part of the Pacific NW
Interesting side note... with this jailbreak there was initially a problem with the Weather app, which kept crashing. The evasi0n guys just released an update that fixes this issue, but apparently it won't work on an iPhone/iPad where the person has also installed the extra stuff needed to steal apps. And at least one of the main developers of the patch, @pod2g, has said he will not help at all with solving those issues.

Good for him!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsg View Post
How do you pay for the apps from Cydia?

Is there some other way to purchase Cydia apps other than paypal?
You can link your Cydia account to your Google Wallet (or whatever Google's calling it now). That's what I do, because I despise PayPal.

Also, if it's not obvious - a lot of apps on Cydia are free. But there are some rather useful ones that do cost money. I consider the $2.99 (IIRC) I spent on RetinaPad well worth it, for example.
__________________
Your post count is insufficient to view signature
Westside guy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:13 PM   #202
soxmandan
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
I actually pay for the jailbreak tweaks and some themes...so to pirate apps would be stupid.

There are plenty of reasons to jailbreak, it doesn't make us all pirates. That's not to say there are people who say they don't but still do, but no one makes a huge deal out of pirating music, movies, etc., so people need to get off their high horses and stop assuming every jailbreaker is a pirate.
soxmandan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:57 PM   #203
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleScruff1 View Post
I hope that Apple cracks down on this like they do on Samsung and everyone else. Jailbreaking is not the way Apple wants people to use their products. Apple products are perfect the way they are and Apple knows what is best for us. How could anyone possibly think that they know more about what is best for them than Apple does.
They did, exactly the same way. They filed a lawsuit....and lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
I suppose they are talking about the updates that either never happen or for stuff everyone figured out how to do years ago?
You can damage the system to the point that a regular restore doesn't work, giving the appearance of permanent damage. My guess is Apple's comment refers to this. Many people don't understand there is the DFU mode beyond that to really restore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibbajabba View Post
All ten and more reason I gave up the iPhone so I can do all that without dicking around. I am certainly not against I phones in general (I mean I had one since the first non-3G) but it really is time for Apple to get their act together (not that the majority of buyer obviously cares).
I find it harder to find tweaks, or change settings for our Android tab than for my JBed iPhone. And harder to trust. My trust level for security, quality, etc. of appstores goes in this order:
1) iOS Appstore
2) Kindle
3) Cydia
4) Google Play
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSlut View Post
Why aren't you (and others) commenting about all the non-jailbroken iOS devices which are fully capable of pirating apps?
Isn't it tiring? These are people not coming here for discussion, but for being obnoxious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsg View Post
Newbie question here. Hopefully on topic enough.

I have an iPhone 5, and this is going to be my first iDevice that I jail break.

How do you pay for the apps from Cydia?

Is there some other way to purchase Cydia apps other than paypal?
Looks like you can also use Amazon setup to purchase. Although I haven't tried it, I'm fine with paypal.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 05:06 PM   #204
chagla
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
does jailbreaking allow mass storage mode? (plug-and-play). so that a file manager can be used on the phone itself.. and drag-and-drop file management from a computer?

and

can an app see files that are stored on the phone? for example, can i open gmail app and attach a pdf/other file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung! View Post
simple:
1. the ability to "hide" the native apps that i dont use, like stocks, weather, NEWSSTAND,...
2. with one swipe up, i can close all my background apps (in the application switcher);
3. with a swipe down, i can close any specific app (in the application switcher);
4. the ability to ignore/hide app updates (when they no longer support your device or iOS);
5. customize gestures for a given task. like replacing the home-button's function with a gesture;
6. camera: add the ability to do time lapse or a timer. You can even set a custom frame rate, aspect ratio and resolution while shooting video.
7. add the ability to make googlemaps the default maps app on the device;
8. i can backup and/or reuse all my saved games across all my devices;
9. move multiple items at a time, in the home screen;
10. transform my device into a hotspot with no extra charges, videochating and download heavy files (>20mb) through 3g...
11. attach more than 5 photos to an email;
...


im not talking about customizing fonts or stuff. i am talking about productivity and ease of use. simple things that speed up my flow and minimize my frustration. cheers.
relating to # 11 above, last time i checked, ios only allows pictures to be emailed. you couldn't easily attach ANY file to an email. which relates to my question above.
__________________
Really cool Android apps: <> gesture search <> airdroid <> drivedroid <> unified remote <> swype <> mightytext <>
Highly useful/enhance your Android experience.

Last edited by chagla; Feb 6, 2013 at 05:22 PM.
chagla is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:40 PM   #205
TheKnowledgeGuy
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Send a message via ICQ to TheKnowledgeGuy Send a message via AIM to TheKnowledgeGuy Send a message via MSN to TheKnowledgeGuy Send a message via Yahoo to TheKnowledgeGuy Send a message via Skype™ to TheKnowledgeGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albright View Post
1,699,950 people do it to pirate apps. The other 50 post on message boards about how they do it to get various pet features and have no interest in pirating, and most other jailbreakers must have the same intentions.
Liar.
__________________
TheKnowledgeGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:46 PM   #206
Albright
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoMac View Post
Can you provide any facts to backup your statements ?
I have none, of course, and my numbers were hyperbole. I just find it na´ve to sincerely believe that piracy isn't the main reason the vast majority of people jailbreak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacSlut View Post
Why aren't you (and others) commenting about all the non-jailbroken iOS devices which are fully capable of pirating apps?
Maybe because we have no idea what you're talking about. You mean by using a developer account or something? Okay, but I doubt few are paying $99 a year to pirate apps when jailbreaking is free and easier to pirate with.
Albright is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:06 AM   #207
krravi
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben View Post
Out of that 1.7 million I wonder how many:

A) knackered up their devices

and

B) Tried it for 10mins then restored back to stock.

Reason I say this is because a lot of people I know have jailbroken only to return it to stock after seeing what all the fuss is about.
Guilty as charged for B.

Didn't know what all the buzz was. Yes it had some features, but nothing I found interesting.Plus, lot of http 500 and 404 errors while downloading some apps, turned me off.
__________________
Lots of Apple,Sony and other gadgets.
krravi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:24 AM   #208
ratsg
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post

Looks like you can also use Amazon setup to purchase. Although I haven't tried it, I'm fine with paypal.
Thank you for that. To date, I have had good luck with Amazon.

Looks like I will use Amazon for the non-free apps I purchase from Cydia.

I saw the Google wallet option offered up earlier, but I consider Google right up there with pay pal. Either way, its good to have options.
ratsg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:42 AM   #209
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruben
Out of that 1.7 million I wonder how many:

A) knackered up their devices

and

B) Tried it for 10mins then restored back to stock.

Reason I say this is because a lot of people I know have jailbroken only to return it to stock after seeing what all the fuss is about.
I have done so in the past, I did not find it worth the trouble, however with teathering, layout changes, adding features for quick access it feels worth it these days.

Trying not to mess around TOO much, time void along with being no real reason, need to keep it simple.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:05 AM   #210
paradox00
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
This is a thread about iOS/Apple not Android. No need to introduce a strawman argument. I never stated people did or did not root Android. I just questioned how many people might think iOS was lacking (enough) to switch. I think it's pretty established that Both OSes have features the other doesn't - without rooting/jailbreaking.
You brought up Android, not me. I just pointed out a flaw in that line of thought. Doing so isn't a strawman argument.

PS: Apple has sold over 400 million iOS devices (and that was back in June). 1.7 million is less than half a percent of that. iOS is certainly still lacking some features I'd like to see, but I think the percentage of jailbreakers has been steadily declining with each iOS update.
paradox00 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:25 AM   #211
bilboa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albright View Post
Quote:
Can you provide any facts to backup your statements ?
I have none, of course, and my numbers were hyperbole. I just find it na´ve to sincerely believe that piracy isn't the main reason the vast majority of people jailbreak.
And I find it overly cynical on your part to assume the vast majority of jailbreakers are doing it to pirate apps. Neither of us has proof that our view is correct though. I would guess your opinion just depends on what your own experience with jailbreaking is, what your own financial situation is, and what kind of people you associate with.

In my case I'm an adult with a decent job, and so are most of my friends, so it's hard to imagine that avoiding paying the $1 - $5 that most paid apps cost would be a big motivation to jailbreak. On the other hand I'm what I'd consider a power user, and there are lots of very useful programs and OS tweaks available only by jailbreaking, which make my iPhone much more pleasant to use. So from my point of view I can't understand why it's so hard for some people to believe that piracy isn't the main motivation for a lot of people to jailbreak. I'm sure that's why some people do it -- I'd guess especially kids without their own income -- but it seems foolish to keep asserting that most people do it to pirate apps, without any evidence, when there are plenty of other good reasons to jailbreak.

Last edited by bilboa; Feb 7, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
bilboa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:21 PM   #212
Krauser
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albright View Post
1,699,950 people do it to pirate apps. The other 50 post on message boards about how they do it to get various pet features and have no interest in pirating, and most other jailbreakers must have the same intentions.
Well that's an arbitrary blanket statement with no facts whatsoever to support such ridiculous claims...

I for one jailbroke my phone. I bought Auxo last night for $1.99 and am contemplating purchasing a couple other apps as well. Jailbreaking does not mean piracy. People like you spewing unsupported claims and figures about people stealing applications are the reason jailbreaking has a bad reputation.

Can you steal apps through jailbreaking? Of course. Does everyone? I don't, and I know many who have the decency to actually purchase applications and support the developers who bring them to us. Just because you don't doesn't mean you have to lie through your teeth, attempting to drag the jailbreaking community through the mud to try to prove something that's not even remotely true.
__________________
13.3" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500GB Western Digital HD; 64GB iPod Touch 3rd Generation, 8GB iPod Nano, iPhone 4S 64GB
Krauser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 03:54 PM   #213
MacSlut
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bar
Quote:
Originally Posted by krravi View Post
Guilty as charged for B.

Didn't know what all the buzz was. Yes it had some features, but nothing I found interesting.Plus, lot of http 500 and 404 errors while downloading some apps, turned me off.

That's a shame.

You should've waited a couple of weeks before jailbreaking. Those errors were due to repositories getting slammed with the number of people downloading apps and tweaks. They mostly went away after a day or so. The more popular the download combined with having a weak server resulted in a longer wait for some.

Try it again, and go into Cydia's Featured section or Google for Top Cydia apps and tweaks.
MacSlut is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:30 PM   #214
achtung!
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portugal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chagla View Post
does jailbreaking allow mass storage mode? (plug-and-play). so that a file manager can be used on the phone itself.. and drag-and-drop file management from a computer?

and

can an app see files that are stored on the phone? for example, can i open gmail app and attach a pdf/other file?



relating to # 11 above, last time i checked, ios only allows pictures to be emailed. you couldn't easily attach ANY file to an email. which relates to my question above.
yes.
there are a few desktop apps that shows your entire filesystem and you can "drag-n-drop" and manage stuff. some work better than others, you must give them a try and find what best suits you. some of them don't even need jailbreak.
take a look at: http://i-funbox.com/ifunboxmac/ i'm not sure that it supports file management, but at least you can access the phone's files. probably it won't give you everything that you need, but it's a start

i don't know if are aware of apps like http://readdle.com/products/readdledocs_iphone/ to manage your documents.

jailbreak apps like "ifile" give you the possibility to browse and modify your system right in your iphone. you can access the png of a game graphics or change an app icon on-the-fly.

regarding mail and attachments, in fact what i've listed was a limitation in iOS5 (which i was in since there was no unthetered jailbreak for iOS6 until a couple days ago :P). in iOS6 you can attach photos and video and i don't know any tweeks that allows you to attach other kind of files.

cheers
achtung! is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 08:45 PM   #215
lildimsum7
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Serious question...why is it awesome that some people care about jailbreaking?

I don't care one way or the other whether folks jailbreak...that's their business.

I'm just curious why you think it's "awesome"...a wonderful thing to do?
the only point of jailbreaking is to make iOS more like Android. but most n00bs sticks with iPhone because they have some silly idea that iOS "just works". that's where they're all wrong, which is why jailbreaking is awesome. iOS on its own sucks and has no extensions to improve usability. example: just look at its keyboard, its stupid autocorrect and stupid magnifying glass thing. jailbreaking extensions improve on all those.
lildimsum7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 06:54 AM   #216
unigolyn
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouD View Post
You don't want easier access to settings?
You don't want Quick Reply-type functionality?
You don't want an infinitely better Messages app?
You don't want better access to information on the Lockscreen?
You don't want Notification Center opened up to 3rd party developers?
You don't want Siri opened up to 3rd party developers?
You don't want the ability to set default apps and hide ones you don't use?
You don't want a freshened up and more unified UI (no major overhaul)?

I could go on, but apparently you don't want it. Thank goodness you're not in charge at Apple.
Someone very much like him is. Apple goes out of their way to prevent jailbreaking.
__________________

iPhone 4S
unigolyn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:35 PM   #217
MacSlut
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bar
Quote:
Originally Posted by unigolyn View Post
Someone very much like him is. Apple goes out of their way to prevent jailbreaking.
No they don't. They don't support jailbreaking, but they're doing nothing to prevent it other than post a warning about it on their website.

If Apple wanted to, they could block jailbroken iPhones from receiving updates.

If Apple wanted to, they could check all devices to see if they are jailbroken before doing repair/replace under warranty. Currently, they only check at the store if the device is jailbroken before taking it in, if they can't determine, they take it in and repair/replace under warranty. Even when jailbroken, they'll usually offer to restore.

If Apple wanted to, they could release jailbreak-preventing-only updates, and then require new apps to run with those updates.

Many people confuse Apple patching the exploits used in jailbreaks as "stopping jailbreakers" or that it's a cat and mouse game, but this is entirely incorrect.

What happens is that Apple has a error reporting system. Users are asked if they want to "send Apple feedback". When Apple receives error reports they get sorted out in terms of frequency and severity and then engineers evaluate the work to fix and priorities are set and mapped out to their release schedule.

Jailbreaks take advantage of errors in the system. When a jailbreaking tool utilizes these exploits and is released, Apple gets reports of millions of users experiencing the same set of errors.

Since these errors represent proven areas of security compromise, Apple has a responsibility to its users to fix these errors in their code, and they do this as mapped to their release schedule.

But this is no different from Apple receiving error reports on any other bug other than perhaps a huge number of reports increasing the priority level.
MacSlut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:41 PM   #218
el-John-o
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Missouri
"Jailbreaking is dead" eh?
__________________
Windows7 PC - Phenom II 965@4GHz x4 Cores, 16GB DDR3-2133, Radeon HD7970 | iPhone 5 32GB | iPad Air WiFi+LTE 128GB | Mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13", Dual 256GB SSD's in RAID 0, 16GB DDR3-1600
el-John-o is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 05:41 PM   #219
Xiroteus
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
This app is not supported on jailbroken devices.............

Which you know is going to be a long running issue, fix it and then it will break again. Why would they even care.
Xiroteus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:35 PM   #220
sk2sep2304
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
My3G and Mywi was worth the JB
sk2sep2304 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:34 AM   #221
dBeats
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post
You double-click links? hehehehe, n00b.
Got me.
dBeats is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 6.x Jailbreak Evasi0n Hits Seven Million Installs in Four Days MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 104 Jun 18, 2013 06:11 PM
iPhone: Evasi0n Jailbreak for 6.1.2 safe ? Tig Bitties Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 21 Feb 23, 2013 05:08 PM
General: Why is there a donate button on Evasi0n before they release it? HeyGreggie Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 56 Feb 6, 2013 05:18 PM
General: Evasi0n Release Tommorow CONFIRMED glsillygili Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 8 Feb 4, 2013 03:34 AM
Google's Eric Schmidt: 1.3 million Android activations a day, 480 million devices WW digital.l0gic Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 Sep 5, 2012 05:24 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC