Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flashlite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
I won an auction for a disassembled iBook G4 on eBay and am waiting for it to arrive now. The thing is, this guy said it was an 1.33 GHz G4 with 256 megs of RAM, a 60 GB hard drive, a combo drive, AirPort Extreme and a power supply for parts *or assembly*. I have searched iFixit but they only had separate install guides for separate items to be installed on "full" iBooks. Last thing I needed.

I just want a guide so I can assemble an iBook G4 that's been disassembled into several parts. (It appears that the top and bottom cover are both off, but the LCD is installed).

Thanks in advance! I'll keep it posted when it arrives and when I'll assemble this notebook.

EDIT: I got it. And there's no hard drive.<not> I will post pictures later.</not>
EDIT 2: Well. I assembled it and it doesn't want to boot the install CD (where I meant DVD), which is not very surprising considering there's no hard drive - I intended to just install Tiger on a USB stick. I guess I'll wait for the drive then. It's just sad that I have to redo this whole thing again.:(
EDIT 3: It boots the CD1 from a CD set!
EDIT 4: Installed the hard drive, accidentally broke the speaker socket, installed Leopard. Why leopard? Because I found out it has 512 megs instead of the 256 megs because of additional built-in RAM. W00t.
EDIT 5: When it's slightly hit on the bottom left corner (when an external speaker fell on the iBook) it makes a loose sound, shuts down and I have to take out the battery, hold the power button, insert the battery, power it on and set the time again. Presumably because of a loose hard drive since I didn't have any other T8 torx screws available to put into the hard drive because I only had 3 for the bottom case.
EDIT 6: Leopard = slow as hell. Tiger = not as slow as hell. But better than Leopard.
~flashlite

Last edited:

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
hope it comes with all the screws,wires ect for reverse put back...

i've taken apart a number of ibooks,powerbooks ect...i would think your best bet would be ifixit and logic board final step,then go backwards...

if all parts are there,it shouldn't be to bad....just reapply thermal paste,have right screw drivers ect and a couple hours work...

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+iBook+G4+12-Inch+1.33+GHz+Logic+Board/715/7

my powerbook Ti tear down
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1529079/

flashlite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Thanks

Thanks Tom, I'll try when I receive the G4.
Other guys should still reply so I can check out this thread later, so thanks for those who'll reply.

~flashlite

Last edited:

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
Not knowing where any of the screws go is a huge setback. I believe iFixit lists the lengths of each screw, so you might be able to measure the screws with a ruler to figure out where each one goes.

flashlite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Videos

Tom Vilsack, much thanks for those videos! I will watch and try them when the iBook arrives.

To burnout8488:
The screws should be there, but yeah, I think they aren't even ordered in lengths. But iFixit DID say stuff about "3.5mm screw" and "xmm screw" and etc. but the hard part is working out if it is really the length or the diameter (they aren't all the same, or am I wrong here) :-(

~flashlite

Last edited:

flashlite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
Wtf

First of all, sorry for double posting, but I would say that I wouldn't cram all this into one post that was supposed to be a reply to one person.
Second, well, I just received the iBook G4. At first it was a positive surprise, the screws were included as well, it has also got an AirPort card and the logic board is already installed in place. Even the RAM was installed. But then I discovered that the hard drive wasn't there (the guy wrote in the description "60g" which to me means 60 gigabyte hard drive, so please tell me the notebook weighs 60g instead) and it turns out that it's a 1.33 GHz 14-inch iBook. For some reason I thought it's a 12-inch 1.33 GHz model, which is very strange because it's probably because I thought there is no 14-inch 1.33 GHz G4 iBook. I am now buying a 80 40 gig drive for this iBook and I am going to assemble it. It seems to mostly be the case which has to be replaced :)

I think I am going to call this one a solved because the internal stuff is mostly done already, then.

~flashlite

Last edited:

archtopshop

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
First of all, sorry for double posting, but I would say that I wouldn't cram all this into one post that was supposed to be a reply to one person.
Second, well, I just received the iBook G4. At first it was a positive surprise, the screws were included as well, it has also got an AirPort card and the logic board is already installed in place. Even the RAM was installed. But then I discovered that the hard drive wasn't there (the guy wrote in the description "60g" which to me means 60 gigabyte hard drive, so please tell me the notebook weighs 60g instead) and it turns out that it's a 1.33 GHz 14-inch iBook. For some reason I thought it's a 12-inch 1.33 GHz model, which is very strange because it's probably because I thought there is no 14-inch 1.33 GHz G4 iBook. I am now buying a 80 gig drive for this iBook and I am going to assemble it. It seems to mostly be the case which has to be replaced :)

I think I am going to call this one a solved because the internal stuff is mostly done already, then.

~flashlite

There was one 14" iBook G4 with the 1.33 Ghz processor--the Late 2004 model. Specs are here:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_g4_1.33_14.html

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
But then I discovered that the hard drive wasn't there (the guy wrote in the description "60g" which to me means 60 gigabyte hard drive, so please tell me the notebook weighs 60g instead) and it turns out that it's a 1.33 GHz 14-inch iBook.

Yeah, that's certainly misleading, particularly given that this iBook shipped with a 60GB HD. It may be that he just copied the specs from somewhere, though "60g" is basically meaningless when describing the iBook, UNLESS it means 60GB HD.

Yet you also seem pleasantly surprised that it was in better shape than you imagined. I hope your salvage operation goes well.

flashlite

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2013
You can add a signature in the user control panel instead of typing it (and forgetting it) every post.

It's just that I don't really like having a big fat bar underneath my post just so you can see my very simple sig. I would rather use it for some kind of quote, computer list and things like that.
By the way, the cosmetic condition of this iBook is:

*drumroll*

EPIC FAIL.

But only for now. However, the screen is 100% free of any stuck pixels.

~flashlite

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.