Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
I have not yet been able to send email after trying several different methods. Now, I want to delete my mailbox and start over. How do I delete the mailbox ?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
You go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts, select the account you want to delete and press the MINUS button on the bottom of that Preferences window.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
Now I have canceled my mailbox account, I am having trouble recreating an account. All the pop ups will not take any info. Somewhere in the system I must still have an account.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Now I have canceled my mailbox account, I am having trouble recreating an account. All the pop ups will not take any info. Somewhere in the system I must still have an account.

It depends what kind of account you want to setup. Maybe provide more details (not your actual email address, but the email address provider) and what settings you want to choose.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
I tried the Time Warner "Support Article" as purposed. Cannot "Send", receive OK. Notice pop up when trying to send:

The server “smtp-server.tampabay.rr.com” refused to allow a connection on the default ports.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

Sending from: Lewis Knudsen

Last edited:

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Ok , looks like this is a common problem with Time Warner email setup. We need to change the outgoing port settings.

From the Mail menu choose Mail >Preferences

Click the accounts tab

Make sure you Time Warner account is selected in the left panel. Then make sure the Account Information Tab is selected. Click the Outgoing Mail Server(SMTP): dropdown box and select Edit SMTP Server List...

Make sure the Time Warner smtp server is selected in the top panel, the click the Advanced tab 1/2 way down the dialog box.

Click the radio button for Use custom port and enter the value 25.

Make sure use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) radio button is off

Make sure Authentication dropdown is set to None.

Now click Ok, close the accounts dialog box and hit Save when it asks you.

Hopefully that will fix your problem.

Also I suggest you remove your email address above as it may well get farmed by a web bot.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

What happens if you select a different outgoing email server? Can you select a different outgoing email server?

PS: Better not post your email address online in a forum like this, robots might pick up on this and it is not important for the troubleshooting. To remove your email address from your previous posts, click the
edit.gif
button and delete it. And what about the thread title?

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
Thanks, I removed my email address. I followed the instructions as per the "Common Problems with Time Warner email Setup" same results, no send. I'm open to any suggestions, so if anyone has any please send. I am of great appreciation for the advice so far, somewhere, somehow, we will succeed !

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
I need to make a correction, my provider is not "Time Warner", it is "Bright House Networks". As I commented earlier, I can Send & Receive on "Windows Explorer", using this same MacBook duel booting. So, I cant believe there is anything haywire with the computer. Somewhere in the setup is a problem. I am using the "Mail Icon (Postage Stamp)" on the Dock.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
Looking up "Bright House, It supports "Mac Mail 10.3 and Above". The best I can find on this Mac is Version 4.6 (1085) whatever this means. I am going to try and upgrade the version, wish me luck.

chattahoochee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Palmetto Florida
Following is the info from "AirPort":

Type: AirPort
Hardware: AirPort
BSD Device Name: en1
IPv4 Addresses: 192.168.1.100
IPv4:
Addresses: 192.168.1.100
Configuration Method: DHCP
Interface Name: en1
Network Signature: IPv4.Router=192.168.1.1;IPv4.RouterHardwareAddress=68:7f:74:13:16:e5
Router: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Masks: 255.255.255.0
IPv6:
Configuration Method: Automatic
DNS:
Domain Name: tampabay.rr.com
Server Addresses: 65.32.5.111, 65.32.5.112
DHCP Server Responses:
Domain Name: tampabay.rr.com
Domain Name Servers: 65.32.5.111,65.32.5.112
Lease Duration (seconds): 0
DHCP Message Type: 0x05
Routers: 192.168.1.1
Server Identifier: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Ethernet:
MAC Address: 00:1d:4f:f9:c9:56
Media Options:
Media Subtype: Auto Select
Proxies:
Exceptions List: *.local, 169.254/16
FTP Passive Mode: Yes
Service Order: 3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.