Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
And typing... Don't even get me started on the iOS keyboard.

What gobsmacks me, is that the iOS keyboard doesn't change the alpha key letter case when you change mode from upper to lower case.

Unlike almost every other touch keyboard on the planet, the iOS keyboard ALWAYS uses uppercase on its letter keys.

Sometimes I wonder if there's a patent license involved.

Or maybe it's just a weird tribute to the original Apple II, which could not display lowercase letters at all.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Apple needs to open up their phone. It's silly that you need a jailbreak to do some basic features such as change your default programs for applications. Apple is great and all but they don't invest all of their resources into a certain app. Let third party companies improve the damn phone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
What gobsmacks me, is that the iOS keyboard doesn't change the alpha key letter case when you change mode from upper to lower case.

Unlike almost every other touch keyboard on the planet, the iOS keyboard ALWAYS uses uppercase on its letter keys.

Sometimes I wonder if there's a patent license involved.

Or maybe it's just a weird tribute to the original Apple II, which could not display lowercase letters at all.

100% agree.

Getting to symbols is a chore too, whereas with Android they're visible on the main keyboard and are a simple long press away. And depending on which keyboard you're using, you can adjust how long the long press actually needs to be to register the symbol. I make it very short so it's super responsive and fast.

I cannot take seriously anyone who attempts to argue the iOS keyboard, at this point in time, is better than the Android keyboard and its many alternatives. There's no contest.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Apple needs to open up their phone. It's silly that you need a jailbreak to do some basic features such as change your default programs for applications. Apple is great and all but they don't invest all of their resources into a certain app. Let third party companies improve the damn phone.

Yup. It is clear after jailbreaking that iOS does not degrade in terms of usability if it is "freed". My iPhone 5 is running strong after so many tweaks, no issues, and amazing battery life still.

But android does some of the stuff better that i jailbroke for.

At this point, i want a OS X phone and tablet, not some "mobile OSX" locked up crap.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
I cannot take seriously anyone who attempts to argue the iOS keyboard, at this point in time, is better than the Android keyboard and its many alternatives. There's no contest.

That is your opinion. One that you seem to mistake for fact. No Android keyboard, no touch keyboard out there period, is as easy to use and as fluid as the one offered on iOS. I've seen them. I've played around with them. That is my opinion. OPINION.

Stop posting like you have become "enlightened" in some way with your Google lust. It makes you look silly.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
That is your opinion. One that you seem to mistake for fact. No Android keyboard, no touch keyboard out there period, is as easy to use and as fluid as the one offered on iOS. I've seen them. I've played around with them. That is my opinion. OPINION.

Stop posting like you have become "enlightened" in some way with your Google lust. It makes you look silly.

I don't see them saying "it is a fact", so why are you getting worked up over someone else posting their OPINION?

joshwithachance

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2009

I too love the iOS keyboard, but have you tried Swype? It ***** all over it to be honest.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Do people here seriously think the iOS keyboard doesn't need some major improvements?

Leave android keyboards out of the conversation and the iOS keyboard is still terrible.

I can't believe certain people are so keyed up on arguing and defending iOS that they wouldn't want improvements regardless of what the competition is doing.

Absurdity.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Do people here seriously think the iOS keyboard doesn't need some major improvements?

Leave android keyboards out of the conversation and the iOS keyboard is still terrible.

I can't believe certain people are so keyed up on arguing and defending iOS that they wouldn't want improvements regardless of what the competition is doing.

Absurdity.

I know when I had the iPhone 4, it was amazing.

However on my iPhone 5, I make so many mistakes it bothers me. It is no longer as good IMO.

In fact it feels no better than the gs3 one to me. I like two handed typing, and the ios keyboard just makes me go crazy with that. May be they designed it just for one hand typing. But even on a 4 inch iPhone I am more comfortable with two handed. Too bad the keyboard doesn't like that.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Yup. It is clear after jailbreaking that iOS does not degrade in terms of usability if it is "freed". My iPhone 5 is running strong after so many tweaks, no issues, and amazing battery life still.

But android does some of the stuff better that i jailbroke for.

At this point, i want a OS X phone and tablet, not some "mobile OSX" locked up crap.

Pretty much. That's why I switched from an iPhone 5 to a Galaxy Note 2. I really want to have an iPhone but Apple is making it hard for me to use one.

SeanR1

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Pennsylvania

Absurdity.

Come on. You know that iOS has the bestest most magical keyboard ever. :p

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Irrelevant question for the quoting but yes Android phones are difficult to set up out of the box.

Only if you are inept.

----------

Swype is a mess. It makes the user seem like he/she is drunk texting to the recipient.

Your a pretty big excuse maker if you ask me. Though since you seem to think Android is hard to set up, that may explain. Try and tell me this is a mess. This Keyboard is fantastic.

VXXTRADER

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Well after using the note ii for a week I missed iOS so much that I ebayed the Samsung and went back to the iPhone 5.

What clinched it for me was I trade stocks for a living and trading on the note while driving was very difficult. The bigger screen was nice but the trading apps I use daily are very clunky on android. I guess I'll just have to wait for the 5 " iPhone.

On a side note, because I had a couple of upgrades available from AT&T , the total cost of selling an iPhone , buying and selling a note 2, and then buying a new iPhone came out in the end a $200 bonus for me.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

Absurdity.

It's not TERRIBLE. Middling, I'd say. It's good...not great, not bad, just good. Could definitely use some improvements, but it's usable and gets the job done.

Not quite as bad as you make it out to be. Really just a matter of adjusting to each keyboard, as they all have the subtleties and slight layout/size differences.

streetfoldsfive

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2012
I;m thinking about switching to a note II from an iPhone 5. I love my nexus 7. The only thing I'm worried about is the note becoming hopelessly outdated after a couple month. Also how does everyone who went from an iPhone to android do on data. When I had an old HTC it seemed to use my data so much faster. Any input?

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I;m thinking about switching to a note II from an iPhone 5. I love my nexus 7. The only thing I'm worried about is the note becoming hopelessly outdated after a couple month. Also how does everyone who went from an iPhone to android do on data. When I had an old HTC it seemed to use my data so much faster. Any input?

Outdated how? Your iPhone will be outdated in a few months when the s comes out. You cannot chase technology, get what works for you today and guess what, it will keep working tomorrow and beyond.

People really have to unlearn what Apple and so many other companies have tried to brainwash with....just because a new toy comes out with great specs doesn't mean your existing tech stops working as good as it did the day before.

Sure, EVENTUALLY you will stop getting features in new OS updates (something Apple loves to do sooner than later) and eventually the latest and greatest apps will not run on your device, but by the time that happens to a phone you purchased today you would be up for an upgrade and the OS will be so far ahead that it will really be an UPGRADE rather than a new phone with great specs running the same crap the same way your old phone did.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Swype is a mess. It makes the user seem like he/she is drunk texting to the recipient.

The "Swype" keyboard I don't like as much, but the stock note 2 keyboard using the swype functionality (different keyboard than swype keyboard) is nice to be honest

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.