Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lendyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Can anyone give me some info,on this. I can't find anything,about it. It's a poster,22"x28".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 202

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
That looks like the "Picasso" style artwork that launched with the original 1984 Macintosh. I'm not sure if that art was used with other Macs after the 84 Mac, likely was, but the original Macintosh came with a flyer and a plastic accessories box that had that artwork on it, and the artwork was called "Picasso" because it was inspired by the artists style.

If it's in good condition it's probably worth a decent amount of money. Do a search for Macintosh Picasso poster or variations of that.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I found an ebay listing on something similar using that same graphic. It probably depends heavily on condition. Things of that age in pristine condition are far less common than ones in good condition.

Lendyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
Ok,so I've found a lot more info on it. Thanks everyone. I actually found one for sale,on themissingbite. Is this a reasonably priced site?

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Ok,so I've found a lot more info on it. Thanks everyone. I actually found one for sale,on themissingbite. Is this a reasonably priced site?

I've always thought their prices were high. I looked that up there now that you said that and they want something like $1800 for one of those? That sounds insane to me. I was thinking $100-200, but that's just throwing a number out there. I know that the Picasso box of accessories on eBay brings $300 pretty regularly, it was just a box with OS software, a cassette tape introduction to the Macintosh, and the manuals, and it's always highly sought after. That early Mac stuff does have a following and the Think Different posters are very valuable, so it wouldn't surprise me if your poster is quite valuable (and wouldn't surprise me if it's only worth the $100-200 I thought of at first).

If you're interested in selling it on eBay put up on there as a buy it now with a high price and use the Best Offer option too. Anyone interested can send you offers and you'll get a better feel for what people are willing to pay. I wouldn't risk putting that up as an auction until you know for sure there is a good market that will drive the price towards whatever the real market value is so you don't end up selling it for peanuts.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I've always thought their prices were high. I looked that up there now that you said that and they want something like $1800 for one of those? That sounds insane to me. I was thinking $100-200, but that's just throwing a number out there. I know that the Picasso box of accessories on eBay brings $300 pretty regularly, it was just a box with OS software, a cassette tape introduction to the Macintosh, and the manuals, and it's always highly sought after. That early Mac stuff does have a following and the Think Different posters are very valuable, so it wouldn't surprise me if your poster is quite valuable (and wouldn't surprise me if it's only worth the $100-200 I thought of at first).

If you're interested in selling it on eBay put up on there as a buy it now with a high price and use the Best Offer option too. Anyone interested can send you offers and you'll get a better feel for what people are willing to pay. I wouldn't risk putting that up as an auction until you know for sure there is a good market that will drive the price towards whatever the real market value is so you don't end up selling it for peanuts.

missingbyte is a bit high - but yeah maybe worth around $300 but at auction could fetch more to someone who really, really wants it and overpay...

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
missingbyte is a bit high - but yeah maybe worth around $300 but at auction could fetch more to someone who really, really wants it and overpay...

The one thing I've learned (or one of the things I've learned) selling collectibles on eBay for a dozen years or so is that you need 2 bidders to drive up the price of something. You also need to know your market and schedule the auction to end on the right day and time when the maximum number of potential bidders will be online.

I've had quite a few valuable items through the years start on auction very low and never get the bids I expected. You have to be willing to let something go at a lower price than you want to deal with auctions. In this particular case, it's a rare item but I can't imagine there is a highly active market for it. The odds of getting 2-3 bidders who find the auction in time and make high bids is not that likely. A buy it now with a best offer option would be the best choice IMO. Maybe the seller starts to get a lot of best offers and either finds one they like or decides to use the best offer prices to set the starting auction price. The seller also should realize that any item that is worth $$ but isn't the latest hot item is probably going to take time to sell for the price they want. Since the website lists it at $1800 or so, I'd probably list it at $999 buy it now with a best offer option. (or $1799, you have nothing to lose) It would probably never sell at $999, but you never know, someone might decide that $600 is something they would pay, and if the seller did a $200-300 buy it now they'd be leaving cash on the table.

OP, just be sure that if you do sell it to either package it extremely well or take it to your local UPS store and have them professional package it. It will cost a little more than doing it yourself but it will arrive safely, and for something that's likely going to be several hundred dollars or more, you don't want it to get damaged in shipment and then be out the entire sale price.

Lendyc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
That all makes sense. I still have the original apple,poster tube. It's actually spent most of its time,in there. I'd put it back in,and then ship that,in a professional tube. I wish I could have it graded. I'm telling you,it's pretty close to perfect. I actually was hoping to get it appraised,but I have no clue,where to start. Maybe I will just put it up,for sale.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
That all makes sense. I still have the original apple,poster tube. It's actually spent most of its time,in there. I'd put it back in,and then ship that,in a professional tube. I wish I could have it graded. I'm telling you,it's pretty close to perfect. I actually was hoping to get it appraised,but I have no clue,where to start. Maybe I will just put it up,for sale.

Please provide the link so we collectors can watch it - it's a beautiful piece of Apple History - especially if you have the original packing for it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.