Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:57 AM   #1
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

MIME HDT-c Glass Screen Protector

UPDATE: MIME RENAMED IT TO THE GHOST GLASS

I just installed my MIME HDT-c glass screen protector. It was my first glass install, so it wasn't perfect, but it was pretty close. I actually lifted the whole thing up a couple times before getting it perfectly aligned. I also used the tape trick to get dust out by lifting each corner, but I only used this to get dust out from the edges, because I didn't want to risk anything by lifting it more than a couple mm.

As for my opinion on the glass screen protector, I'm loving the change from plastic ones! The recessed home button actually feels BETTER than that small but sharp feel with plastic ones. Glass also feels better than plastic, of course. So smooth! I basically agree with all the positives of that every review says. The added weight is negligible if you ask me, and the thickness isn't a huge problem given the curved edges.

The MIME HDT-c glass screen protector is a great value, especially that warranty. Check it out!

Here's the product:
http://mimeusa.com/product/hdt-c-glass-for-iphone-5/

Here's a review:
http://www.runaroundtech.com/2013/01...hone-5-review/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzkKOEBlX64

UPDATE: New review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agp1FKN4j1k

Last edited by RichardC300; Mar 26, 2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: update
RichardC300 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:02 AM   #2
Six8
macrumors 6502a

Six8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:54 PM   #3
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

New video review. He uses the same case as I do, the Belkin Grip Candy Sheer. He also said she had a bubble at the bottom corner, but that's because of the case. The Belkin case's lip actually comes up over the screen, which pushes the glass screen protector.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ7theFGCVA

Last edited by RichardC300; Feb 17, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:33 PM   #4
corys00
macrumors member

Thanks for posting this. Just saw LarryGreenberg's youtube review on it, just pulled the trigger and bought one.
corys00 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:59 PM   #5
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by corys00 View Post
Thanks for posting this. Just saw LarryGreenberg's youtube review on it, just pulled the trigger and bought one.
You're welcome! The feel of glass is just amazing!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:37 PM   #6
corys00
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC300 View Post
You're welcome! The feel of glass is just amazing!
Just for curiosity sakes, how long did it take from order to receiving? I get so nervous being naked
corys00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:59 PM   #7
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by corys00 View Post
Just for curiosity sakes, how long did it take from order to receiving? I get so nervous being naked
I received mine within a week, approximately 6 days.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Americano
Banned

Whats the difference between this and the glastr?
Americano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:24 PM   #9
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Whats the difference between this and the glastr?
The price.

----------

But in all seriousness, I think all the rounded-edge glass screen protectors you see are, more or less, the same thing. It's the price and the extras and warranty that they include that's the biggest difference.

And you sure do get all 3 with MIME.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:42 PM   #10
wxman2003
In Time-Out

Good to see it comes with a screen size dust remover. Really helps getting dust off screen to install. I have the spigen glas TR, and used a cheap screen shield that came with a case to remove the dust first.
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:21 PM   #11
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Updated. I also recently put one on my sister's phone with a perfect install (so jealous), and it's amazing!
RichardC300 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:42 PM   #12
MarkCooz
macrumors 6502a

I like the name Ghost Glass better than HDT-C.
I felt like it was so close to HTC.. lol but yeah, i wonder if they're gonna release a "SLIM" version? The reviewer you just posted said it was a bit thinner than the GLAS.tR. I wonder if that's true or is it the glass quality just different.

I may pick one up soon. Gonna wait on my .t SLIM to fall apart in the future.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:49 PM   #13
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCooz View Post
I like the name Ghost Glass better than HDT-C.
I felt like it was so close to HTC.. lol but yeah, i wonder if they're gonna release a "SLIM" version? The reviewer you just posted said it was a bit thinner than the GLAS.tR. I wonder if that's true or is it the glass quality just different.

I may pick one up soon. Gonna wait on my .t SLIM to fall apart in the future.
Mark Linsangan has a pretty good rep. I would trust his word. If it's true and this is slightly slimmer then the Glas.tR, then maybe the Glas.tR SLIM is the same thickness as the Ghost Glass? Spigen advertises the Glas.tR SLIM to be just 28% slimmer than the regular Glas.tR.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 04:57 PM   #14
MarkCooz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Mark Linsangan has a pretty good rep. I would trust his word. If it's true and this is slightly slimmer then the Glas.tR, then maybe the Glas.tR SLIM is the same thickness as the Ghost Glass? Spigen advertises the Glas.tR SLIM to be just 28% slimmer than the regular Glas.tR.
I haven't seen the GLAS.tR SLIM but you're right if it's true then it may be similar to the GLAS.tR SLIM... the GLAS.t SLIM which is on mine is really thin compared to the GLAS.t/R I wonder how durable .tR SLIM be?
My GLAS.tR SLIM seems okay so far. But my GLAS.tR in the past was superb and was sturdy until i dropped my phone in the parking lot with a slim bumper!
Old Mar 27, 2013, 01:43 AM   #15
Mellisaray
Banned

just got to know about the glass screen protector, and ready to change my old and troublesome plastic one.
Mellisaray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:51 AM   #16
Becutan
macrumors newbie

I am willing to give this one a try, plus they have a curved edge one so it makes it even better.
Becutan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 02:33 PM   #17
Dan Brown
Banned

Quote:
Updated. I also recently put one on my sister's phone with a perfect install (so jealous), and it's amazing!
Looks good. I bought a Good Gadget red Glass Guard screen protector instead. Love it!
Makes my iPhone pop! Got so many compliments when I'm at work and also when riding the subway.
Dan Brown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:06 PM   #18
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brown View Post
Looks good. I bought a Good Gadget red Glass Guard screen protector instead. Love it!
Makes my iPhone pop! Got so many compliments when I'm at work and also when riding the subway.
Sounds risky.

But I'm glad you like it! The red really pops! I didn't realize how much better it felt than a plastic one until I got it.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 06:39 PM   #19
ashfall
Banned

Getting confused by all the different glass screen protectors.. So there are regular ones and then slim ones? and then each company has different thicknesses? Which one is the thinnest but real glass?
ashfall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 07:44 PM   #20
kvaughan
macrumors member

Do these work with the Tech21 Mesh case?
kvaughan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:37 PM   #21
NRak
macrumors newbie

Bought one last weekend, installed it on Tuesday (very simple). Bought another one Wednesday for the fiance since she liked mine so much.

Also got the Halo bumper for it. Not a bad setup with both the Ghost Glass and bumper. Although my bumper lock button went missing, but emailed them and they are sending me a whole new bumper.

Great company, and the Ghost Glass is a must have, especially with the price and replacement cost.
NRak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:32 AM   #22
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvaughan View Post
Do these work with the Tech21 Mesh case?
It should work. Does the lip of that case lay on top of the glass any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRak View Post
Bought one last weekend, installed it on Tuesday (very simple). Bought another one Wednesday for the fiance since she liked mine so much.

Also got the Halo bumper for it. Not a bad setup with both the Ghost Glass and bumper. Although my bumper lock button went missing, but emailed them and they are sending me a whole new bumper.

Great company, and the Ghost Glass is a must have, especially with the price and replacement cost.
I was also considering the Halo bumper! And I agree. Great company and customer service!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 12:30 PM   #23
dvhq
macrumors newbie

Installed the MIME Ghost Glass yesterday on my iPhone, I was worried at first because I had a few bubbles when I installed it but when I woke up today I tried again and was able to press them all out.

Super happy with how it turned out!
Old Apr 1, 2013, 02:40 PM   #24
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvhq View Post
Installed the MIME Ghost Glass yesterday on my iPhone, I was worried at first because I had a few bubbles when I installed it but when I woke up today I tried again and was able to press them all out.

Super happy with how it turned out!
That looks like the Ghost Glass SE (non-curved edges), but that looks amazing! Great photography and good job on applying the screen protector. Makes me want their bumper, too.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 02:29 PM   #25
dvhq
macrumors newbie

Yessir you're right, Ghost Glass SE. Thanks, did the steamy bathroom install and everything worked out peachy. The bumper is works well for me since I just want to keep my phone scuff free

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories