Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:18 PM   #1
Mikl7777
macrumors newbie

Can't boot iMac (10.6)

I recently reinstalled Mac OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) on my iMac to prepare for resale. Something went wrong with the install and now I cannot boot my iMac except with an external FireWire hard drive. I can't boot with the install disc (10.6.3). I cannot boot into safe or verbose mode. Target disk mode doesn't work. Pressing the option key on startup doesn't work. The Apple logo appears and the spinning icon forever. Anytime I try to make any change (when booted from the external drive) I am asked for a user name and password but it won't accept anything that I enter. The same for when I try to use Drive Genius or Diskwarrior. I can't boot from those disks either. When booted into the external firewire drive I can't access anything on the iMac drive without a user name and password. The dialog box won't accept anything that I enter. I am a long time mac user but I am stumped on this one. Any ideas out there?

Intel iMac 1.83 core duo. Snow Leopard 10.6.3
Mikl7777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help