Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
I dont understand this nobody wears a watch anymore line. I work with about 10 men and 8 of them wear a watch including myself. Many of them have more than one. The ages of the men are 20-60. All of them are heavy apple product users. They prefer to look at their wrist in stead of pulling out a phone. That might be a limited sample still its more than nobody.

What I like about a watch is the quick glaceable information. I see the same quick glaceable information being the key advantage in a smart watch. Text message in a movie, score update at a 4th cousins wedding that the only reason you are invited is because you were on the gift registry or any other place were notifications would be rude but you would like the option of discreetly getting them.

Would I buy one? Probably not I like the simplicity of my automatic watch. I like the facts that it never needs a battery as long as I wear it few hours a day. It is nice to have at least one mobile device that gives me updated information that does not need a battery.

I like where you're going with some of those thoughts. not the population stuff but the instant notifications... maybe an iWatch is a complementary device to an existing iPhone. NOW we're going somewhere as a product....maybe.

----------

Is everybody on drugs? What is this nonsense about "curved glass"?

If you go to a department store, maybe half of the watches with rectangular dials have curved glass.

My wall clock has curved glass. Hell, my dinner plates have curved glass.

Is there actually a technological hurdle here that I'm not aware of?

Edit: also I forgot that glasses have curved glass and so do camera lenses. Any lens, really.
Edit 2: car windshields or any other kind of car glass. I'll probably think of some more things in the next 2 minutes.

I think people lost sight of the tech here. An old school coca-cola bottle is curved glass. What we're talking about here is bendable glass.
Specifically, when it comes to the promise of wearable PC's, Apple may see bendable glass as method to introduce a one size fits all product, by allowing the product to shape itself to the variety of shapes of wrists and body shapes.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
There's no market, or one to create, large enough for watches anymore.
just... stop this nonsense.
There's no iWatch, at least in the state it's being presented here.

Respectfully disagree with you on this. We don't know yet, what form such a device would come in.

Think about it:
1. A multi-touch device worn directly out of reach of the touching fingers? Ok, so it's a one hand device, but the natural position of the wrist that carries the device isn't very natural for long periods of time. You'll exercise the heck out of your left shoulder!

No more than punching away on any other device, all day long.

2. NFC, proximity tech, pedometer stuff, compass, RFID, ummm no. You could say that about any existing device. You can stuff that tech into a Keychain and it would be more useful than an iWatch.

Keychains, at least in the traditional sense, can fairly easily be lost or misplaced, or even stolen.

....A multi-touch Coffee mug would make more sense than an iWatch ... coffee mugs & water bottles are toted around by the general population in larger numbers than watches.

Right now, yes, but watches are attached to your wrist, so you can't forget, and accidentally leave them behind, after putting them down for a second, and they are much harder to lose or be stolen from you.
(Notice, I didn't say can't).

I'll give you this, the only way this is going to happen: is if Apple finds a specific problem to be solved by introducing an wearable PC in the form of an iOS watch. And it had better be a big problem, because I'm not buying it.

The possibilities for such a device are too numerous to even begin to describe, and only limited by imagination. I believe this has the potential to become a whole new product category. And I trust the thousands of bright minds at APPLE, to take this idea, greatly improve it, and bring it to the masses, just like they've done before. They'll do this right, or not at all.

We'll find out soon if such a product is in our future.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Is it automatic?

No. Then I don't care..

If it runs on a battery then it needs to be cheap and with Apple that will not happen.

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
I can't wait til people who say they would never use an Apple Smartwatch buy one and realize how useful it is, like with every Apple product released

Yeah, useful. Not like that phone in my pocket can't do everything plus more. Sheeple will buy this. Intelligent people wont.

kevinws

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
O'Fallon, MO
I like where you're going with some of those thoughts. not the population stuff but the instant notifications... maybe an iWatch is a complementary device to an existing iPhone. NOW we're going somewhere as a product....maybe.

I had a Microsoft SPOT watch for about 3 years. Yes it had some major flaws. One of the things I liked most about it was the calendar, alarms and reminders. I had about 30 new reminders/task every week on top of my standard duties. I worked about 60 hours a week. The calendar, alarms, and reminders would automatically sync from my outlook to my phone. It was nice just to have my wrist beep and I could glance at it. It was also nice that it got scores and weather updates.

Again it had major flaws still I really liked the device.

Since I used a kinda similar technology for some time I can see the good in it.

Ironclaw27

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Sydney, Australia
THIS is a watch!

ff.jpg

This is a watch.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
This is very untrue. I am 20 years old now. I have worn a watch since I was about 10 years old. Anyone who actually is willing to wear a watch for the sake of telling time knows that it is much faster and much easier to look at your wrist than it is to take a cellphone out of your pocket and putting it back in. Me and many of my friends (around my age) and family buy watches for the main purpose of telling time. I for one think, as long as the price is not overly expensive, (less than $150 to start off) an 'iWatch' would be a huge success in all age groups of people who would carry the cellphone around with them. (If $200 or more to start, it would still not be a huge crash and burn. First iPod was $399 I do believe)

And why is everyone thinking of it as an extra device to carry around? It is like carrying around a hat or a ring or a pair of glasses or a bracelet. It's not like carrying around another music player or camera... That is why I think it would be so successful.

Yah, the opposite of this.

In fact, watches become more desirable the MORE expensive they are.

Would you rather have a $1,000,000 Patek Philippe or an Apple watch?

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Respectfully disagree with you on this. We don't know yet, what form such a device would come in.
------------------
No more than punching away on any other device, all day long.
------------------
Keychains, at least in the traditional sense, can fairly easily be lost or misplaced, or even stolen.
------------------
Right now, yes, but watches are attached to your wrist, so you can't forget, and accidentally leave them behind, after putting them down for a second, and they are much harder to lose or be stolen from you.
(Notice, I didn't say can't).
------------------
The possibilities for such a device are too numerous to even begin to describe, and only limited by imagination. I believe this has the potential to become a whole new product category. And I trust the thousands of bright minds at APPLE, to take this idea, greatly improve it, and bring it to the masses, just like they've done before. They'll do this right, or not at all.
------
We'll find out soon if such a product is in our future.

I hit like eeerr the up arrow on your post. You put some thought into it rather than just rant like other people might.
Honestly I'm kind of hoping that Apple would do something much bigger than a watch in 2013. A true Apple TV maybe.

So about the watch... I guess it could work, but either as an accessory to an existing full fledged iOS device OR if Apple radically introduces an easy method for texting with one hand. Then this would gain traction..... but that's just my opinion.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
You are correct except the part about the concept being a dead end. IF Apple came out with a "watch" do you really think the central function would be as a time piece? If so you are not thinking creatively, only retroactively. Pebble has already given us a sneak peak at the potential of a 21st century "smart watch".

There is no functionality that can replace "Jewelry".

An apple watch would only be usable in sports world or among unfashionable nerds that would otherwise carry a calculator watch.

Most people would rather hide their functional electronics device in their pocket so as to not ruin their personal appearance with something that doesn't match.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
It's not a curved watch... it's the next iPhone modeled after the phone / walkie talkie that Dick Tracy (comic strip) had on his wrist. Calling all cars... calling all cars... be on the lookout for Slime Face...

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Is everybody on drugs? What is this nonsense about "curved glass"?
If you go to a department store, maybe half of the watches with rectangular dials have curved glass.
My wall clock has curved glass. Hell, my dinner plates have curved glass.
Is there actually a technological hurdle here that I'm not aware of?

Edit: also I forgot that glasses have curved glass and so do camera lenses. Any lens, really.
Edit 2: car windshields or any other kind of car glass. I'll probably think of some more things in the next 2 minutes.

Point taken, but this rumored APPLE 'iWatch' would likely be 'touchscreen' curved glass; also, for all we know, it might be that new variety of curved glass that's flexible.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I doubt ill ever want an apple watch. If there's one thing I'm certain I don't want to charge on a regular basis, it's my watch. And coming from apple I'm sure ill need to charge it every day. Not interested.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Yah, the opposite of this.

In fact, watches become more desirable the MORE expensive they are.

Would you rather have a $1,000,000 Patek Philippe or an Apple watch?

An Apple watch, because then I would still have $999,800 laying around to use for more charitable endeavors.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I like the idea, but I don't like the thought of yet another thing to buy that will become obsolete every 3 months and needs charging and updating constantly.

Get a MacBook, an iPad and an iPhone, and then an iWatch, and you'll be basically buying these over and over again every year to keep up with updates.

Yes! for the rest of your life, for ever and ever and ever and ever........just waiting for the iHouse and iCar we are all caught in the iTrap.

tekstud

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Sounds interesting.
I still don't understand why Apple didn't just add Bluetooth to the previous Nano- that would have made it the perfect watch for now. Plus the new Nano doesn't even include a clip!

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
I doubt ill ever want an apple watch. If there's one thing I'm certain I don't want to charge on a regular basis, it's my watch. And coming from apple I'm sure ill need to charge it every day. Not interested.

not to mention that watches and people tend to engage in.... for the lack of a better term..... waterish activities? swimming pools, beaches, shower, ppfftt washing dishes! ... uhmmm some other non PG things come to mind.

iWatch better have some water proof tech is what I'm saying.

tekstud

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Personally I'd like an Apple Microwave- now that would really screw Samsung!

----------

There is no functionality that can replace "Jewelry".

An apple watch would only be usable in sports world or among unfashionable nerds that would otherwise carry a calculator watch.

Most people would rather hide their functional electronics device in their pocket so as to not ruin their personal appearance with something that doesn't match.

iJewels?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....Honestly I'm kind of hoping that Apple would do something much bigger than a watch in 2013. A true Apple TV maybe.

So about the watch... I guess it could work, but either as an accessory to an existing full fledged iOS device OR if Apple radically introduces an easy method for texting with one hand. Then this would gain traction..... but that's just my opinion.

Now you're talking; impatiently waiting here too, for APPLE's big bold move into the tv arena.

As for the watch, a greatly improved Siri could address that 'texting' on your list. Cheers.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Curved glass sounds good, a lot cooler than my ugly but reliable watch. It had better be reliable, waterproof, acceptable in tests, and cost less than $50 if there's any chance of me buying one. Just the ability to change what the watch's face looks like is appealing, and using it to answer the phone would be a lot easier than pulling the phone out and holding it up to the ear (especially when it's raining).

Before this offends someone somehow, read: I need a watch for school or else I'll be late for most of my classes. Haters gonna hate.

Last edited:

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
I will just invent a thing called "iWristStrap" where you can strap your iPhone, and iTouch. And the price starts at 299.99.....

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Now you're talking; impatiently waiting here too, for APPLE's big bold move into the tv arena.

As for the watch, a greatly improved Siri could address that 'texting' on your list. Cheers.

WHYYY? You can just buy an Apple TV and use it with your own TV. And knowing Apple, the Apple TV set would probably only have one HDMI and 10 Thunderbolt inputs, no composite or component, no coax for antenna, and no audio output.

I can only see it being useful in this way: Apple devices control which input it uses, and it's sleeker.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.